Girl shoots herself with grandma's gun at SC store

So your seriously saying that under US law, if you injure someone breaking into our house, they can sue. Yet if you kill said person, no-one mentions it? Seems like madness to me and if it is true, my view of the US justice system has sunk considerably.

Well, there's a loop hole in the law, where the intruder's family can sue you for "damages." You know, because that member of their family was a "sweet guy, never hurt anyone, would never do anything like that." Yet, when you look at their record, they're 28, has been in and our juvenile hall/jail since they were about 12-13yrs old, and has a record 20 miles long. But they're such a wonderful, outstanding citizen, "I" should have to pay because I chose not to be victimized.

As far as lawsuits by criminals against their attempted victims, check these out:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/10/...in1699174.shtml

http://overlawyered.com/early-years/may-20...rchives-part-1/ (go down to May 6, “Robber sues clerk who shot him during holdup”.)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/busi...mulayout03.html

There's a lot more, but a lot of the results are about the same case, since it happened most recently, but it does happen. Here's the google search results:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...amp;btnG=Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...amp;btnG=Search

As bad as this sounds, and how crazy some may think I am for saying this about it, it's true. It seems like our justice system is designed to protect the criminals and not us, the law abiding citizens.

Also, Audioboxer, here at the airport, "checked" bags don't get scanned. Just your carry on luggage. Makes no sense at all to me, but that's our government and the TSA (most useless government agency ever conceived after DHLS) at work.

Exactly.

By banning guns doesn't mean much, simply because citizens who cares about legalities won't be able to carry one anymore, and it won't make a difference with criminals. So you are essentially putting someone legitimate at risk due to the lady being a magistrate herself. Like duritz said, the concealed license is not easy to obtain, it's not a driver's license lol.

They should still ban weapons. It will make weapon trafficking harder. Honestly speaking I am more afraid of the regular people that own guns than the criminals. When was the last time you heard on news a gang member going into school and shooting bunch of kids? But then we keep hearing about some depressed unfortunate kid, getting hold of his dads shotgun and going on a rampage in his high school. Why do regular people need guns? To defend themselves? it's stupid in this day an age. It is more likely that you will use that gun by accident than in self defence.

The problem is that it's such a big business that government will never make a law against it...

Regular people will have to suffer because of it.

Going back to the article, I will charge the old lady for unsafe handling of guns. Even if the gun was in her purse she shouldn't have put the purse in her niece's hand reach.

I just hate guns....

OK, so your justice system has a stupid loophole, fair enough, but what about the other part, surely if you shoot the guy dead his family can equally say the "sweet guy" stuff and the punishment ought to be greater.

Also, you seriously dont think your hold baggage is scanned? so you could put a bomb in there, triggered from your phone, and the security wouldnt pick it up. Come on, give some credit to airport security.

[Just to make this clear, I'm hypothesising and I don't endorse bombs (or snakes) on planes]

Why on earth does an old lady have a gun in her purse?

Man I hate Americas laws on guns at times.... :no:

America does not need guns, PERIOD! You are much more likely to get hurt accidentally than in an actual incident if you own a weapon!

Also, Audioboxer, here at the airport, "checked" bags don't get scanned. Just your carry on luggage. Makes no sense at all to me, but that's our government and the TSA (most useless government agency ever conceived after DHLS) at work.

Ehhh yes they do.

That's the silliest thing I've heard all day.

Luggage bound for the planes hold gets scanned as well.

I'm not sure if this has been said, but here in California our gun laws are so super strict compared with the rest of the nation. You go to a gun store (super strict regulations on what you can talk about: hi capacity mags, gun modifications, etc) find a shotgun of rifle of your liking... and then the process begins. You have to fill out a two page form, then they photo copy your ID, then you have to leave your right thumb print, THEN you have to wait ten days to see if you've pass your background check. OK. You've passed the check. Now you have to buy a gun lock that's still sealed in the original packaging or you can't leave with the firearm. If you have a gun safe (as I do) you have to sign ANOTHER form with the safe info and a copy of your drivers licence attached. That's the only way you can get out of buying a child safety lock with your gun.

The process is almost the same for hand guns, except you have to pay another fee to take the safety test and if you pass that, then you go through the steps listed above. It's also next to impossible to get a concealed gun permit in the cities, it's different for rural counties in some areas of the state. In Sacramento city, you have to register your ammo. That's right! Fill out another from with a copy of your licence and all your info.

I am NOT for gun "regulations".... just safety. I see no problem with a law that says you have to keep the gun safe from children. It's people that are careless with their weapons that ruin the fun for us safe, law abiding citizens.

One more thing.... why do people that DO NOT LIVE in the US care about our gun laws? That's the most pointless thing to worry about. IT DOES NOT EFFECT YOU! If you don't like it, DO NOT COME HERE! It's THAT easy!

"Oh, I don't think Americans should have guns." Why? Because you're jealous because you don't have the RIGHT to bear arms? I hate to break it to you gun grabbers, but this country was formed and founded because of firearms. They are NEVER going to take that away from us. EVER.

One more thing.... why do people that DO NOT LIVE in the US care about our gun laws? That's the most pointless thing to worry about. IT DOES NOT EFFECT YOU! If you don't like it, DO NOT COME HERE! It's THAT easy!

"Oh, I don't think Americans should have guns." Why? Because you're jealous because you don't have the RIGHT to bear arms? I hate to break it to you gun grabbers, but this country was formed and founded because of firearms. They are NEVER going to take that away from us. EVER.

What sort of ramble is that?

I'm sorry I care about what goes on in the world, and regardless of where it happens it's sad to read about stories like this. No one ever talked about coming to live anywhere, so seriously, get off your high horse and stop rambling like that.

I am also not jealous at all about guns, I'm very happy I don't live in an area where people feel the need to carry guns in everyday life. That actually makes me feel more comfortable than the fear of "oh hey I better own a gun in case something happens to me!".

What sort of ramble is that?

I'm sorry I care about what goes on in the world, and regardless of where it happens it's sad to read about stories like this. No one ever talked about coming to live anywhere, so seriously, get off your high horse and stop rambling like that.

I am also not jealous at all about guns, I'm very happy I don't live in an area where people feel the need to carry guns in everyday life. That actually makes me feel more comfortable than the fear of "oh hey I better own a gun in case something happens to me!".

When someone says something you don't agree with... it's rambling. Gottachya.

I'm so glad you're happy about living in a country that does not trust it's citizens with something of high responsibility. Do people get stabbed where you live? What about beaten? I'm sure that goes on, why not ban clubs, bats and knives?

That's a very intelligent statement. Anyway, I've been living in the US for a long time, probably longer than you've been alive, so since I have created a life for me here these laws DO affect me. I would not like for my kids to get shot one day by a frustrated schoolmate angry at the world cause he cant get laid or because of some other apparent childhood drama.

You want to use guns go to the shooting range and rent a gun, shoot all you want and leave the gun there.

DO you know what percentage of the U.S. citizens actually use the guns in self defence? Now try and find out how many people die from guns in the U.S. per year and you'll see the reasoning.

Yes I know you want to have a gun so you can talk about it to your buddies and show off, and although you might be very careful while handling your ammo you can not guarantee me 100% that your guns will always be kept safe, and that they will never misfire, and all you need is one mistake...

When someone says something you don't agree with... it's rambling. Gottachya.

I'm so glad you're happy about living in a country that does not trust it's citizens with something of high responsibility. Do people get stabbed when you live? What about beaten? I'm sure that goes on, why not ban clubs, bats and knives?

Clubs, bats and knives have other users than a hand gun has.

How can you ban a knife? Stop people being able to buy kitchen accessories?

A bat? Stop people from playing baseball?

What else do you use a hand gun for, other than protection/causing harm? Shooting milk bottles, yeah?

Thing is, those other "weapons" you listed are every day items made into a weapon - I can carry a wooden stool down a street and beat someone to death with it. A hand gun IS a weapon.

And for the record, blades of a certain length/certain nature are in fact illegal to carry in this country.

So that leaves us with clubs and bats, which can't even be concealed like a hand gun can anyway.

I'm so glad you're happy about living in a country that does not trust it's citizens with something of high responsibility.

Giving people the responsibility of owning a device which has the sole reason to cause harm?

I'm glad we don't give that responsibility, look at what it does when left in the hands of stupid people - Either people are killed on purpose, or in this topic, someone is almost killed by neglect.

Edited by Audioboxer

That's a very intelligent statement. Anyway, I've been living in the US for a long time, probably longer than you've been alive, so since I have created a life for me here these laws DO affect me. I would not like for my kids to get shot one day by a frustrated schoolmate angry at the world cause he cant get laid or because of some other apparent childhood drama.

You want to use guns go to the shooting range and rent a gun, shoot all you want and leave the gun there.

DO you know what percentage of the U.S. citizens actually use the guns in self defence? No try and find out how many people die from guns in the U.S. per year and you'll see reasoning.

Yes I know you want to have a gun so you can talk about it to your buddies and show off, and although you might be very careful while handling your ammo you can not guarantee me 100% that your guns will always be kept safe, and that they will never misfire, and all you need is one mistake...

First thing, I don't need to "show off" to my friends.. they have more guns than I do... and by more I mean we could arm a small town.

I like how the way you said, "would not like for my kids to get shot one day by a frustrated schoolmate angry at the world cause he cant get laid or because of some other apparent childhood drama." Well, I hate to break it to you, but it's the responcablity of the FRIGGIN PARENT of said child to make sure he can't get a gun. Is that so hard to understand? Why take away rights from people who didn't do anything to punish a few little ****** kids who screw around?

Hummm, no thanks. I'll shoot where ever it's legal to do so.

No try and find out how many people die from guns in the U.S. per year and you'll see reasoning.

Oh, this one I just adore. Alcohol has killed how many people now form drunk driving? Lets ban alcohol! Less deaths on the road, less sexual crimes, less violence and better health. You MUST be for banning alcohol, since it's way more dangerous than guns. What about car accidents (no alcohol involved)? Let's ban cars because stupid people (esp teenagers) are careless and kill others on the road!

HAHAHAHA! Yes, YES I can guarantee my guns are 100% safe... BECAUSE THEY'RE IN A SAFE! LOCKED! BOLTED TO CONCRETE!

Oh, how I pitty people that are afraid of guns. Check this out....

emotionalmaturity.jpg

Oh, how I pitty people that are afraid of guns.

You pity people that are afraid of weapons, items designed to kill and mame? Their concern seem pretty rational to me. Guns are incredibly dangerous, as has been demonstrated repeatedly in the US and other countries, and the feeling of security they provide is counteracted by the open availability of them.

I like how the way you said, "would not like for my kids to get shot one day by a frustrated schoolmate angry at the world cause he cant get laid or because of some other apparent childhood drama." Well, I hate to break it to you, but it's the responcablity of the FRIGGIN PARENT of said child to make sure he can't get a gun. Is that so hard to understand? Why take away rights from people who didn't do anything to punish a few little ****** kids who screw around?

But how can parents protect against OTHER parents that have neglected their kids? That's simply unreasonable. It makes more sense to me to limit access to weapons so that bad parenting doesn't lead to school massacres. It's a pretty rubbish "freedom" that allows kids to stroll into schools and shoot up their classmates. If you can't see that the current situation is unacceptable and action needs to be taken then there is little hope for you. What we should be debating is how far to take the restrictions, not whether there should be any.

My mistake, I was mistaken about checked luggage being scanned, I don't have the privilege of being there when they do that :) I'm too busy going through the security bs that seems to take more time than it should. Also, I would like to let you all know, that I agree with those who say that guns have 1 purpose. To hurt people/things. With that said though, I'm 26yrs old. I bought my first hand gun 1 month before I turned 21 (couldn't actually leave the store with it until 1 day after my 21st birthday though). The weapon is a HK USP .45 Compact. I've had that gun for 5yrs, I've never kept it locked, but I've never kept it loaded either. Now, what I'm about to tell you all may shock you. It may even cause you to think about what you've been told. In the 5yrs I've had my HK, it has NEVER harmed anyone except for the dozens of paper targets I've assassinated over the years. Not me (except if you count when a brass casing ejected, hit the wall then hit me in the face when I was at the range one time lol) or anyone else (again, except for the paper targets which look like "insurgents"). Also, to some's amazement, it has not once got up on it's own and done anything. Now, I know this may be hard to believe, but it's the truth. But who knows, maybe it's waiting for the right moment to strike. It could be a freakin Decepticon for all I know.

This thread is just descending into farce with those in favour of guns bringing out spurious arguments and analogies such as drunk-driving and knives. As has been frequently pointed out, guns ought to be strictly controlled and handguns banned because their sole purpose is to maim and kill. Yes, your gun may only have been used on the range but that is surely in preparation for when that armed burglar kicks down your door and tries to rape your girlfriend. Notice that the only posts containing capitalised words are those from the agitated gun supporters while those on the other side show restraint.

You make it seem as it's America as a whole that believes this. That's not the case, it's mostly old republicans who are bound to die soon anyways, and rednecks.

I don't believe in weapons, and i'm sure a majority of America doesn't either.

Hooray for generalizations! I'm not a redneck, nor an old Republican, but I do believe I have the right to defend my home and family with lethal force if necessary. 80 million legal gun owners in this country and you'd think that people would be dropping like flies from all the rampant gun violence. /sarcasm It just shows that most people are very responsible. More people die due to medical errors(almost 200K yearly) than die by guns, the majority of which are suicides. It's all about acceptable risk. Most people don't know the facts because they are knee-jerk reactionaries and it is a highly emotional issue.

I guess I'm an old redneck Republican clinging to my guns and religion then :rolleyes:

As the popular picture shows...

gun_control_works21.jpg

Update:

Girl recovering after shooting

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- A relative of a 4-year-old South Carolina girl who accidentally shot herself with her grandmother's handgun in a Sam's Club store said Tuesday the family expects the child to be out of the hospital by week's end.

Inease Williamson, the child's great-grandmother, said the little girl was recovering Tuesday after undergoing emergency surgery a day earlier. ''My great-granddaughter is doing much better,'' she said.

She declined to released the child's name and police also have refused.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Sams...Child-Shot.html

What does this have to do with gun control?

What's next? Boy drowns in pool... Let's all ban pools too since it has the potential to kill someone and there are so many people using it!

This thread is just descending into farce with those in favour of guns bringing out spurious arguments and analogies such as drunk-driving and knives. As has been frequently pointed out, guns ought to be strictly controlled and handguns banned because their sole purpose is to maim and kill. Yes, your gun may only have been used on the range but that is surely in preparation for when that armed burglar kicks down your door and tries to rape your girlfriend. Notice that the only posts containing capitalised words are those from the agitated gun supporters while those on the other side show restraint.

HAHAHAHHA! Besides protection, I enjoy target shooting and plinking. Yes, my 12 gauge with 00 Buck shot is ready at all times to stop someone from attacking me in my home. Go grab your bat, or what ever you use... I'll stick to being able to re-decorate my house with one pull the the trigger. "Opps! Sorry! You'd still be alive if you weren't a dirtbag." I hope you never get attacked or gang raped because you can't defend yourself with lethal force.

Side note; Everyone that's wanting to ban guns, esp hand guns I say to you, how are you going to take my guns when you don't have any? Makes it kinda hard.

What does this have to do with gun control?

What's next? Boy drowns in pool... Let's all ban pools too since it has the potential to kill someone and there are so many people using it!

What are you on about?

Guns are created to kill/hurt/cause damage.

Pools are not created for that reason.

Side note; Everyone that's wanting to ban guns, esp hand guns I say to you, how are you going to take my guns when you don't have any? Makes it kinda hard.

How old are you? Are you saying that if guns were banned, you would take up arms to fight it? Literally!?! That is a sure sign of irresponsibility/immaturity, in which case you obviously don't respect the lethal force of guns and should not own one/them.