Update for Windows Vista (KB952709)

I read Vista and Performance in the same line and I'm installing, KB'ed or not!! :D haha.

Not like I ever had poor performance with it, but if it can be better why not!

Same here, although I haven't noticed any difference with this patch, good or bad. Would be nice to know exactly what does though.

still looking for documentation :( I installed it anyways :)

Me too, but now I'm just a little bit concerned because they've removed it from their site. Not having any problems so far though.

any one saw this?

Microsoft has silently upgrade Windows Vista (more specifically Windows Vista SP1) build version number from 6001.18000.080118-1840 to 6001.18063.080425-1930. The upgrade is done by the Update for Windows Vista KB952709 which was originally released on June 10, 2008, but almost immediately within days been taken off and retracted from Microsoft site.

It?s unknown if the KB 952709 is an intended official release, or just a accidental leaked test build which never plan to make public. What makes KB952709 more mysterious is the sudden retraction of the availability of KB952709 downloads (original link for x86 and x64 (Google Cache)) from Microsoft Download Center and its related Knowledge Base Article number 952709 from Microsoft Support, with no reason given.

Users who manage to download and install KB952709 update will see the following new build version number indicating 6001.18063 in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion registry key:

BuildLab: 6001.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930

BuildLabEx: 6001.18063.x86fre.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930

Microsoft pages about KB952709, before been taken down, summarized that KB952709 is a reliability update which resolves some performance and reliability issues in Windows Vista. By applying KB952709 update, user can achieve better performance and responsiveness in various scenarios.

The main attractiveness of the KB952709 is that it intends to fix long running Windows Vista issue - performance and sluggishness, similar to KB938979 update released prior to Service Pack 1. As the setup installation files has been taken off Microsoft Download Center, users who want to install KB952709 can download the unofficial hosted copies which manage to be downloaded by some users before Microsoft links are offline, using download links below. But note that as Microsoft has recalled the KB952709 release, so you take your own risk in downloading and installing the KB952709, although no users reported any problems after installing the update, nor the update actually helps to speed up Windows Vista significantly.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/18/u...b952709-update/

No, I haven't seen that. Thanks for the info.

I did install that update and I just checked my registry and I do have both of those entries and they match up to the ones in that article.

It's still installed on my machine.

no problems.

but Microsoft needs to say something about it.... because if it was a mistake they need to let us know if it should be installed or not instead of keeping quiet about it. Why not replaced the page with a message that the download was accidentally made public and for beta testers only... or something. The person who made it available probably doesn't want their head on the Chopping block. LOL so hoping no one at microsoft saw it.

i wonder will this update screw with next patch tuesday, i really want to see will this allow you to install next updates

since the Build numbe altered windows updates might not detect any updates on next tuesday.

those that have it installed let us know

i wonder will this update screw with next patch tuesday, i really want to see will this allow you to install next updates

since the Build numbe altered windows updates might not detect any updates on next tuesday.

those that have it installed let us know

Don't worry, Windows update will work fine, I used to install EVERY beta patch available by requesting it from the KB article page, and Windows Update keeps detecting new monthly/drivers updates just fine :)

Kernel updates will change some system versions slightly but build number stays at 6001 (SP1) until the next service pack.

some of them are puppies i noticed (after 2 freaking months!!!) but they all looked like cats to me. I just downloaded it though - it said it's happy hour so i didn't need the security thing. Dunno when happy hour is but i'm glad i didn't have to break some secret code that Einstein came up with just to download it :)

grr I hate these free download sites, can anyone put these on a proper hosting space please? the link provided keeps telling me I entered wrong code and I have to keep waiting 60 seconds.

Never mind is done now :)

Edited by Chrysalis

From Microsoft:

There was a momentary exposure of the web page for the Non-security roll-up on June 10, which was immediately removed. The packages for this release are still in testing and until we have full test signoff and confidence in this update, we will not be releasing it publicly.

Please do not install this update until it's officially released on the Windows Update website.

If you installed this update from Windows Update and you are experiencing issues that can be attributed to this update, please take advantage of the no-charge support that is being offered by Microsoft for Windows Update.

Windows Update No-Charge Unlimited Support:

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

Thanks.

Source