Changing the spark plugs on a Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Hey,

while we were on holiday a few months ago, my mums car's engine got flooded, and she caleld RAC out, they said the spark plugs needed replaceing, long story short, we now have some new sparkplugs, but carnt figure out how to get the air filter off the engine block to replace them.

post-118751-1213270972_thumb.jpg

we've removed the two hex bolts seen on the front of it, but there seems to be a hiden clip on the back left we carnt get to.

any ideas?

it is a ford zetec 1.4 petrol

thanks

ste

I've tried googling it and came up with next to nothing to help. If it helps your searching at all I think you're referring to the engine cover and not the air filter (the air filter is very different). I would first ask at a ford forum, then I would look to see if I could 'acquire' an electronic version of the Haynes Manual, failing that I would buy one from the high street, it will be about ?10-15.

actually it looks like the air filter IS the engine cover judging by the pic. Taker off the bolts on top and uncrew the screw for the clamp on the left hose (I don't see one on the right, which is very odd)

actually it looks like the air filter IS the engine cover judging by the pic. Taker off the bolts on top and uncrew the screw for the clamp on the left hose (I don't see one on the right, which is very odd)

Ah yes, is that the air intake going into the top left of the engine cover? Seems odd to me!

Ah yes, is that the air intake going into the top left of the engine cover? Seems odd to me!

looks like the external hose is the one on the right, and going into the engine is one on left. VERY odd setup

Why haven't you removed the cover yet?

What year is it? Does it have plugs?

he's trying to find out how to take the cover off....

Can I ask how it flooded while you was on holiday ?

that was kinda my fault, i started it on a slope and aparently the guy said its cos i started it on a slope o_0

will be looking at this this weekend, thanks for the replys.

ste

any ideas?

it is a ford zetec 1.4 petrol

thanks

ste

What year is it? and the Engine cover says Duratec not Zetec...

yeh, but it is a ford fiesta zetec see:

post-118751-1213445142_thumb.jpg

the year of the car is 2004

that was kinda my fault, i started it on a slope and aparently the guy said its cos i started it on a slope o_0

:huh:

That would be a first. Starting your car on a slope should bring no damage to your air filter whatsoever, especially not to an air filter in a 2004 car.

:huh:

That would be a first. Starting your car on a slope should bring no damage to your air filter whatsoever, especially not to an air filter in a 2004 car.

erm, i flooded the engine, RAC man came, cleaned the spark plugs, then said we could do with some new ones, so weve bought the official ford ones, and then we are strugling to get the air filter off, at no point have i said i damaged my airfilter

ste

found this after googling various word combos

http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=125957

Take the two screws out of the front of the airfilter housing which sits on top of the engine (the flat black bit with "Duratec" written on it). Then all you have to do is lever it off the rear two posts on which it is located and held there by rather grippy rubber washers. this can be difficult and you may give up because you think you might break something. You can unclip the large air inlet pipe (on right as you look at the car) and the small breather pipe in the middle. You should then have enough manouverability to turn it over and take out the ten screws holding the two halves of the housing together.

erm, i flooded the engine, RAC man came, cleaned the spark plugs, then said we could do with some new ones, so weve bought the official ford ones, and then we are strugling to get the air filter off, at no point have i said i damaged my airfilter

ste

Sorry mate, I got a little confused and linked two items to each other. Blame my Saturday night promotion drink. ;)

Ford still uses Zetec as a trim on some cars.

• 5 months later...
Ford still uses Zetec as a trim on some cars.

Apologies for hijacking the thread but I'm hopeful someone can answer. I've got a fiesta (52 plate) with the duratec engine and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the engine cover off. I've removed the 2 screws that hold the air filter housing onto the cover, removed the air filter, removed the inlet pipe on the right hand side and wiggled and wiggled and wiggled the cover but it will not budge. The 2 rubber grommets just below the air filter part seem to be moving but it feels like there is a bolt or something still holding the cover on at the top.

The engine cover looks like it's made in 2 parts with 15 snap type connectors holding it together - I've tried to release these but have been unsuccessful as I get about 4 of them loose and then they pop back into place - bloody annoying! Hopefully someone can help. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I'd say remove the 2 hoses, undo the 2 bolts, take out the filter, see if there is a bolt under it on the inside of the box, if you don't feel one anyplace on the box, maybe then it just pulls off.

Wish I could help more, but those arn't in America.

• 1 year later...

I think he must have fixed it by now, LOL :p

It was not intended for the person who asked the original question. If someone searches for how to replace fiesta spark plugs on Google they will probably end up reading this thread. Proof that people will read this thread even though it was started 2 years ago is provided by your reply. LOL :p

• 2 weeks later...

Proof that people will read this thread even though it was started 2 years ago is provided by your reply. LOL :p

Actually it's because your reply bumped the thread making it appear as unread :p