Zunes finally come to the Great White North

I keep hearing that you couldn't gte one before, but the stores around here have had them ffor at least a year now. They don't sell well at all though...

Barely arriving? So America's been the only country with Zunes? :| Now if Microsoft would just add Mac support....

I wonder who would buy want to buy a zune now, especially if they're a mac user :D

I wonder who would buy want to buy a zune now, especially if they're a mac user :D

Exactly! :D That's why I'd rather replace my iPod Nano with an iPhone 3G when it comes out!

I'm interested in at least trying one out now, it's good that Microsoft is moving to other markets. Still love my iPod touch, though, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Had 2 ipods, really liked them. Got a killer discount from work on an 80gb zune i couldnt pass up. About the same to me, i do like the zune more because i didnt like itunes on windows too much.

Honestly their handling of the Zune has been pretty poor. If they want to be considered a serious competitor in the market how about actually shipping them to other countries. Isn't the device 18 - 24 months or so old by now (since the original release). I've heard people claim they won't do it until they can get online stores set up for the regions but theres plenty of people who would likely buy one regardless of the store being present or not. Hell I'm pretty sure the iPod in Australia was the top selling MP3 player well before we actually got the localised iTunes store.

I honestly don't get whats with the delays.

Honestly their handling of the Zune has been pretty poor. If they want to be considered a serious competitor in the market how about actually shipping them to other countries. Isn't the device 18 - 24 months or so old by now (since the original release). I've heard people claim they won't do it until they can get online stores set up for the regions but theres plenty of people who would likely buy one regardless of the store being present or not. Hell I'm pretty sure the iPod in Australia was the top selling MP3 player well before we actually got the localised iTunes store.

I honestly don't get whats with the delays.

You have to understand that, as many people as you think there are there who would like a new product, the entire population for Australia is just over 20 million, and just over 30 million for Canada. There are single states with more people... And the states are 10 times smaller meaning that much easier to distribution. For those reasons, Canada and Australia, as well as many other places, are on few companies' priority lists.

I got mine 6 months ago and I'm loving it. I was looking to replace my 4g 20gig ipod and I wanted something with a lot more space so the Zune 80gb or iPod 80gb were my options. For me the Zune was definitely the best of the two and I'm very happy with that decision. I actually dropped a 35lb dumbbell on it at the gym a few days ago and it is still running like new, only thing is there is a small dent on the side now.

I've had a Zune 30 since January and it keeps getting better and better with every firmware update! I also have an iPod Nano 3G 4GB which I barely use...it's just annoying not to have volume control feedback and not be able to adjust it through a jacket and whatnot. Thankfully I won the iPod, so it wasn't a waste of money....but I found the only nice thing about it to be the eye candy. Sound quality is also quite bad on the iPod if you use earbuds...it's just too "tinny" no matter what you do. Using same earbuds on the Zune produces a nice crisp sound however.

One thing that really ****es me off about the Zune however is no Linux support! I use Linux on my desktop, so I have to open my laptop and mount a share where I have my music in order to do any updates to it. The iPod has some Linux utilities, so it scores there.

Overall, I prefer the Zune...especially the button controls. However, with the 2nd gen one, I might end up hating it due to the touch controls (who is pushing this touch crap???).

Speaking of touch controls in general, I find it extremely annoying. No tactile feedback whatsoever, and it never works properly (either too much or too little humidity making it go crazy).

You have to understand that, as many people as you think there are there who would like a new product, the entire population for Australia is just over 20 million, and just over 30 million for Canada. There are single states with more people... And the states are 10 times smaller meaning that much easier to distribution. For those reasons, Canada and Australia, as well as many other places, are on few companies' priority lists.

Well I didn't list a single country. Whats stopping them getting the hardware out to all English speaking countries at once? To me besides production, which I would assume is under control by now, the only reason other continents haven't seen it is because some guys up in marketing want it held back for whatever reason. And this is after verging on two years now (Wikipedia indicates a Nov 2006 launch of the original). Sure, look at smaller nations like AU as an isolated market on it's own and yes, it's not significant compared to the US. But they aren't isolating a single market, they're pretty much isolating the entire world apart from the US. For a device thats meant to be taking on the iPod they're really not doing that great a job besides one single country and contrary to the above, the rest of the world does account for quite a few sales should they ever get it out the door over seas into Europe, Australasia ect.

Hell we might be small, but that hasn't stopped the likes of Apple having a big presence here nor does it deter smaller companies like Creative, iRiver ect.

Anyway after all that, it's good to see them heading into Canada anyway and maybe it's a sign of things to come.

Edited by Smigit