Getting new computer - crazy performance!

hello again - now which har drive should i get, so far i know im getting one thats 10k rpm and i just need advise on best one of 10k rpm - unless its overpriced and not worth getting...

Stick with something like the new WD 640GB units... they are built in the new 320GB platters, and are insanely fast compared to previous generation drives. Plus they offer amazing price per GB ratio. :D

Oh, just to clarify, I wasn't really voting for the VelociRaptor...just pointing out facts. Personally, I think $1/GB is horrendous...but overpriced is relative for different people.

Oh, just to clarify, I wasn't really voting for the VelociRaptor...just pointing out facts. Personally, I think $1/GB is horrendous...but overpriced is relative for different people.

then what do you recommend?

I guess I was mistaken by the thread title again. :p

Hmmm, suppose I can throw in my two cents as I just ordered a few parts to upgrade my system and can go through some of the stuff I picked out that is revelant to the original poster.

Motherboard: I was looking around, not been impressed with my nVidia 650i SLI too much, the drivers are wonky at best, Vista drivers are HORRIBLE for it, the network drivers work half the time, when I had a RAID array going and updated the Vista drivers, it crashed my RAID array and I had to set it back up, which was a pain, but it was RAID 1 so no loss. The nForce 4 I had was great, but this 650i SLI was not the best I have to admit, least it did not have the corruption issues the 680i's were plagued with, and apparently again with the new 780's and 790's, nVidia did not learn eh? So what did I pick, I'm an Asus fan, that's where all my motherboards come from. I have a P5E x38 for my server, GREAT board, but I wanted something a little better. Meet the Asus P5E Deluxe, just arrived in stores http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...%2bp5e%2bdeluxe and a little more than the P5E, its x48 chipset and has DDR2 support, no silly LCD post thing that sits on the back of the board I don't really need. It fit my needs, it will be here next week, expect a review on it.

CPU: I waited on upgraded my PowerBook to a MacbookPro until 45nm's were in, got it, they're sweet. Desktop, I was looking around, I already had dual core, that was not enough. Then comes the 45nm, what to choose? Well priced reasonable, Q9300 and Q9450, the others quite pricey for me, never spending much over $300 on a desktop processor for along time. I evaluated, I liked the extra cache and processor speed on the Q9450, it will arive next week with the motherboard.

Hard drive: I'm a fan of the raptors. I do NOT need a lot of storage in my desktop, I have a RAID 1 array in server for data storage. I currently own a 74GB that I use as a silly drive, 150GB for my desktop and a twin 150GB in RAID 1 on the server for OS use. I wanted more speed, and some more storage, I picked the new WD Velociraptor 300GB as it fits my needs, arrives next week. :) If you want more space and little less performance, go with the Spinpoint F1 750GB or the 640GB AAKS.

Ok, that's what I am getting and why, here's some other recommondations on other stuff:

RAM: DDR2 is good enough, get a board that supports its, DDR3 isn't worth it and I'll only consider it when Intel has memory controllers onboard or AMD smacks them down in processors again and has DDR3 support. With that in mind, DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) will suite you fine. Do not need to go overboard with it since you are not overclocking. Amount? 2GB (or 3GB of asymetric dual channel) if using 32bit Windows, if using Vista 64 give it a nice treat and give it 4GB of RAM. As others said, SLI RAM is silly, especially if you go for a Intel chipset board.

Powersupply: I used to be an Antec fan, I switched brands to Seasonic, I love their power supplies, powering my desktop and server. I'd say at most get the 650W version. PC & Cooling also make good power supplies by reviews two, either of those two brands I would get.

Optical Drive: Get whatever you want really, blue-ray is future proof as it is the HD phyiscal media standard now, so can't loose out there. :)

Heatsink/Fan for CPU: Arctic Freezer 7 pro, I LOVE these coolers with some Artic Silver 5 thermal paste, I run only Arctic Freezer 7 for Intel and Freezer 64 for the AMD machine I have, quite and run the processors cool! The one you picked originally was 4K rpm and 40 dBA, that's a wind tunnel/hair drier/rocket ship :( Just because a fan spins higher does not mean it is better, typically means it is louder. :) The Artic will probably be at least half as quite as the Masscooler for sure and do just as good of job.

Case: Get what you want really, you are going to stare at it, not us. :)

Video card: That is a real toughy considering the just recent annoucements of the nVidia 200 series and ATI HD 4000 series to consider one now. I am holding off to see what the best price/performance is, as I have a decent enough to last me. If you must get now, the 8800 GTS 512 (G92) are pretty good cards for their price, or could go with a 9800GTX (G92) for some more cash for some more performance.

Monitor: I haven't been shoping around recently, someone else will probably best to fill you in on that, though never heared of I-Inc LCD's before, not sure who makes the pannel for that particualr one.

Mmm that's about all I have to add for now :o

Edited by Martog

Hmmm, suppose I can throw in my two cents as I just ordered a few parts to upgrade my system and can go through some of the stuff I picked out that is revelant to the original poster.

Motherboard: I was looking around, not been impressed with my nVidia 650i SLI too much, the drivers are wonky at best, Vista drivers are HORRIBLE for it, the network drivers work half the time, when I had a RAID array going and updated the Vista drivers, it crashed my RAID array and I had to set it back up, which was a pain, but it was RAID 1 so no loss. The nForce 4 I had was great, but this 650i SLI was not the best I have to admit, least it did not have the corruption issues the 680i's were plagued with, and apparently again with the new 780's and 790's, nVidia did not learn eh? So what did I pick, I'm an Asus fan, that's where all my motherboards come from. I have a P5E x38 for my server, GREAT board, but I wanted something a little better. Meet the Asus P5E Deluxe, just arrived in stores http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...%2bp5e%2bdeluxe and a little more than the P5E, its x48 chipset and has DDR2 support, no silly LCD post thing that sits on the back of the board I don't really need. It fit my needs, it will be here next week, expect a review on it.

CPU: I waited on upgraded my PowerBook to a MacbookPro until 45nm's were in, got it, they're sweet. Desktop, I was looking around, I already had dual core, that was not enough. Then comes the 45nm, what to choose? Well priced reasonable, Q9300 and Q9450, the others quite pricey for me, never spending much over $300 on a desktop processor for along time. I evaluated, I liked the extra cache and processor speed on the Q9450, it will arive next week with the motherboard.

Hard drive: I'm a fan of the raptors. I do NOT need a lot of storage in my desktop, I have a RAID 1 array in server for data storage. I currently own a 74GB that I use as a silly drive, 150GB for my desktop and a twin 150GB in RAID 1 on the server for OS use. I wanted more speed, and some more storage, I picked the new WD Velociraptor 300GB as it fits my needs, arrives next week. :) If you want more space and little less performance, go with the Spinpoint F1 750GB or the 640GB AAKS.

Ok, that's what I am getting and why, here's some other recommondations on other stuff:

RAM: DDR2 is good enough, get a board that supports its, DDR3 isn't worth it and I'll only consider it when Intel has memory controllers onboard or AMD smacks them down in processors again and has DDR3 support. With that in mind, DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) will suite you fine. Do not need to go overboard with it since you are not overclocking. Amount? 2GB (or 3GB of asymetric dual channel) if using 32bit Windows, if using Vista 64 give it a nice treat and give it 4GB of RAM. As others said, SLI RAM is silly, especially if you go for a Intel chipset board.

Powersupply: I used to be an Antec fan, I switched brands to Seasonic, I love their power supplies, powering my desktop and server. I'd say at most get the 650W version. PC & Cooling also make good power supplies by reviews two, either of those two brands I would get.

Optical Drive: Get whatever you want really, blue-ray is future proof as it is the HD phyiscal media standard now, so can't loose out there. :)

Heatsink/Fan for CPU: Arctic Freezer 7 pro, I LOVE these coolers with some Artic Silver 5 thermal paste, I run only Arctic Freezer 7 for Intel and Freezer 64 for the AMD machine I have, quite and run the processors cool! The one you picked originally was 4K rpm and 40 dBA, that's a wind tunnel/hair drier/rocket ship :( Just because a fan spins higher does not mean it is better, typically means it is louder. :) The Artic will probably be at least half as quite as the Masscooler for sure and do just as good of job.

Case: Get what you want really, you are going to stare at it, not us. :)

Video card: That is a real toughy considering the just recent annoucements of the nVidia 200 series and ATI HD 4000 series to consider one now. I am holding off to see what the best price/performance is, as I have a decent enough to last me. If you must get now, the 8800 GTS 512 (G92) are pretty good cards for their price, or could go with a 9800GTX (G92) for some more cash for some more performance.

Monitor: I haven't been shoping around recently, someone else will probably best to fill you in on that, though never heared of I-Inc LCD's before, not sure who makes the pannel for that particualr one.

Mmm that's about all I have to add for now :o

Wow, thanks on the reply - i definatly have switched my mind about the cpu fan! :D and wont getting ddr3 make the gig future proof? because i have seen the ram cost high prices of 700-800 bucks while this one is selling for like 200-300 dollars not counting MIR...

WOW - about the Arctic Freezer 7 pro, i found it for an outstanding price of 25 CAD

Problem wiht Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is that if you're going to get that, you might as well stick with the stock intel cooling.

DDR3 isn't going to make you future proof. Current systems won't properly take advantage of DDR3 and systems that will are not going to be on the same socket/platform. When that happens, the prices will come down anyway, so it's more cost effective to buy what you need when you need it.

If you want after market cooling, you should only be looking at it for silence. Processors do not perform better at 32?C compared to 45?C.

Wow, thanks on the reply - i definatly have switched my mind about the cpu fan! :D and wont getting ddr3 make the gig future proof? because i have seen the ram cost high prices of 700-800 bucks while this one is selling for like 200-300 dollars not counting MIR...

WOW - about the Arctic Freezer 7 pro, i found it for an outstanding price of 25 CAD

Well, really it depends if the RAM speeds do not go up, which I am sure they will. So you might buy the current DDR3, upgrade in a couple years and find out you need faster RAM anyhow for the processor. I think they are trying to get away from that as much but still a good possibility of happening.

Problem wiht Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is that if you're going to get that, you might as well stick with the stock intel cooling.

Eh have problems with the Arctic coolers? I find all three of my systems are quiet with them in it, so not sure what you are trying to say.

DDR3 isn't going to make you future proof. Current systems won't properly take advantage of DDR3 and systems that will are not going to be on the same socket/platform. When that happens, the prices will come down anyway, so it's more cost effective to buy what you need when you need it.

If you want after market cooling, you should only be looking at it for silence. Processors do not perform better at 32?C compared to 45?C.

And even then not all coolers are that silent, I had a "SilentCat" cooler and that was not so silent, after popping in my Arctice Freezer I noticed the noise level of the system dropped dramatically and was much easier on the ears. I wouldn't be using the Arctic's if they were that noisy.

Eh have problems with the Arctic coolers? I find all three of my systems are quiet with them in it, so not sure what you are trying to say.

I think he's referring to the cooling capability, they might have been good 3 years ago but there pretty crap now. Why do you think there so cheap.

Silence is quite relative as we've heard from members here about the Freezer 7 Pro.

The stock intel heatsink will be allot quieter than his graphics card, the diffrence between the stock cooler and the Freezer is very little, last time I checked the freezer wasn't even designed for quad core cpu's, as it came out well before the quads.

Actually, the AC Freezer 7 Pro has been around the $30 range the entire time.

I got mine about 2 years ago, and I got it for $26.99 at NCIX.

Like I said earlier in this thread, if the OP is going to get cooling, go for either high end air, or stock.

Yeah, but if you're going to pay 25$ for cooling why not pay 25$ more for higher end cooling such as Thermalright Ultra-120 which will wipe the floor when put against a Freezer 7 Pro.

Or even a Xigmatek S1283 which is about 10$ more than the Freezer 7 Pro, and performs the same as Thermalright Ultra-120.

Otherwise, if you're not overclocking, then stick with stock and save your money. Don't spend money just for the sake of having something aftermarket...

Yeah, buy high end cooling for silence to effectiveness, anyone can make a heatsink that's half the size of your computer with a 25cm fan spinning at 4500rpm for max cooling. You got to strike a balance between them.

Ok - i think i chose my card...

i have been looking over reviews and videos and i think the 9800 gtx is good enough for me and i do think i will sli 2 of them because you get way better fps and higher res. (i am an all supporter of XFX :D) Oh and it is possible to tri-sli the 9800 gtx and runs better than 2 gx2's and costs less...

and by the way - i found the perfect way to express what i want my computer to do...

i just want to build a computer doing all the regular things, i.e gaming, and i want it to last me for a long time...

While the Thermaltake is nice, yes you are paying a little more than just $25 more for just a heatsink, at least please also advise that ontop of the HS cost you'll have to buy a fan which you did not recommond. :) Eh, besides, saves the original HSF from being used which is a slight plus re-selling anyhow. :) I am very happy with mine and my system is pratically silent.

i have been looking over reviews and videos and i think the 9800 gtx is good enough for me and i do think i will sli 2 of them because you get way better fps and higher res. (i am an all supporter of XFX :D) Oh and it is possible to tri-sli the 9800 gtx and runs better than 2 gx2's and costs less...

I could go on and on about how bad SLI scales in terms of frame rate unless you're running super high resolutions....but I think you've made up your mind already. :rolleyes:

at least please also advise that ontop of the HS cost you'll have to buy a fan which you did not recommond.

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro comes with a fan, but yes; the Thermalright Ultra-120 will require you to purchase a 120mm fan. The Xigmatek S1283 will not require an extra fan for you to purchase though.

9800GTX's are practically 8800GTS G92's overclocked! Why not go X38 with dual 4850's instead?

Also, multi GPU setups allow for higher FPS at higher resolutions, not higher FPS and higher resolutions...any regular card will do higher resolution.