(Conky) WTF is any of this

Im currently trying to install conky.

I have no idea what anything is on this nix stuff atm but apparently i need some .conkyrc or something.

Can someone please just explain to me how to install with detailed steps from start to finish.

Do you have conky installed?

It might create a default .conkyrc when you run it.

Other than that, you can use someone else's configuration that you like, or modify one to create your own. There are several conky users here on Neowin (including myself) who will help you with any specific questions. But really, it is quite simple.

Um, well i installed it, once through terminal and then when i tried to do some command that had conkyrc at the end it said file does not exist. So i tried to install it though synaptic which did the same thing, i went to the folder were its supposed to be and its not there. I tried to copy one into a text file which i then saved as .conkyrc which i couldnt paste into the folder where its supposed to be. I have no idea what im doing this was all guess work.

Edit: The only thing in "usr/share/doc/conky/examples" (the folder its supposed to be in) is a file called "conky.conf.gz" and no file called "conkyrc.sample.gz".

Edited by b0zm4g

You don't know where .conkyrc is supposed to go, but you kept sticking it in places? :ermm:

Just put the file in your home. When you log in, conky should start up, look and find your .conkyrc right in your home, and use it.

You shouldn't need any command that includes the file. Just run "conky".

Um, well i installed it, once through terminal and then when i tried to do some command that had conkyrc at the end it said file does not exist. So i tried to install it though synaptic which did the same thing, i went to the folder were its supposed to be and its not there. I tried to copy one into a text file which i then saved as .conkyrc which i couldnt paste into the folder where its supposed to be. I have no idea what im doing this was all guess work.

Edit: The only thing in "usr/share/doc/conky/examples" (the folder its supposed to be in) is a file called "conky.conf.gz" and no file called "conkyrc.sample.gz".

Oh and thanks for helping.

Its not in my home. The file that conkyrc is supposed to be in (that sequence of folders previously posted) conkyrc.sample.gz doesnt exist.

Ok. Go to this site: http://www.compsoc.nuigalway.ie/~slibuntu/test/.conkyrc

Save that file in your home, as .conkyrc

You should then have a file listed when you do a ls ~/.conkyrc. If you do not, then you did something wrong in saving the file.

Then, in the terminal, type conky and hit ENTER. Conky should start up. It will stop when you use CTRL-C or if you close the terminal, but it will at least show that you have conky installed, and a decent startpoint for a rc file.

Ive just discovered hidden files sorry, .conkyrc is there but it has nothing in it. So i put that in it and this is what it comes up with screenshotdanieldaniellua8.th.png

Yeah, the sample was someone else's config, and his points to a mount point you don't have. But conky should have put up a display in the top right (his config option) of your screen.

Edit the file. Change location. Add in 'padding' spacing. Remove some items (like the /mnt/slack location) and modify anything you like to suit your needs. :yes: