• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Vista locking up/freezing now game crashing (see post #37)

Azusa    930

Seatools gives the green light on the HDDs and the BIOS is up to date

RadishTM    315

You did the long test and S.M.A.R.T. has not been tripped?

Radish?

Azusa    930
You did the long test and S.M.A.R.T. has not been tripped?

Radish?

oh right it said it's disabled on the drive....

RadishTM    315

No problem, usually it's disabled in the BIOS - enable it if you want to (helps when a drive is about to fail).

So no bad sectors on the HDD's, what are your temperatures like?

Radish?

PermaSt0ne    1

have you done any overclocking?

what programs do you have starting up with windows?

what are your temps? (you can use cpu-z, gpu-z, fanspeed, etc. to find out those)

did this just randomly start happening out of no were?

for trouble shooting you should disable all your startup aps (start > run > msconfig > startup > disable all) and see if it still happens. if not then start re-enabling them one by one

soldier1st    40

when you did the memory tests did you test 1 stick at a time or all?if doing all that won't tell you which stick may be acting up,also if vista freezes then it sounds like a driver problem,have you disabled the nvidia driver helper service and the nvidia autostarts?also running more than 1 av/antispyware/firewall will cause problems.also try autoruns and process explorer?

PermaSt0ne    1
when you did the memory tests did you test 1 stick at a time or all?if doing all that won't tell you which stick may be acting up,also if vista freezes then it sounds like a driver problem,have you disabled the nvidia driver helper service and the nvidia autostarts?also running more than 1 av/antispyware/firewall will cause problems.also try autoruns and process explorer?

avast, spybot and adware work perfectly with each other. they don't clash or overlap at all. also autoruns and process explorer won't tell him what's wrong only whats running. and he'd have to track down hundreds of dll's to find out what they do and even then he won't know if they are causing the crash

Azusa    930
No problem, usually it's disabled in the BIOS - enable it if you want to (helps when a drive is about to fail).

So no bad sectors on the HDD's, what are your temperatures like?

Radish?

Ok just done the long test and nothing showed up and the temps are 35 to 40

have you done any overclocking?

what programs do you have starting up with windows?

what are your temps? (you can use cpu-z, gpu-z, fanspeed, etc. to find out those)

did this just randomly start happening out of no were?

for trouble shooting you should disable all your startup aps (start > run > msconfig > startup > disable all) and see if it still happens. if not then start re-enabling them one by one

done no OCing temps 35 to 40 and i have tried to make it freeze by doing what i was doing when it froze and it kept on going.....

RadishTM    315

I'm assuming you have SATA drives, changed the cables?

What are your CPU/Motherboard/GPU temperatures?

Radish?

Azusa    930
I'm assuming you have SATA drives, changed the cables?

What are your CPU/Motherboard/GPU temperatures?

Radish?

no cable change but will try it and as for the temps

CPU 39F

MoBo 32F

GPU 38F

Azusa    930

Ok now it doesn't seem to like me playing games at all both C&C3 and Gmod crash part way into the game the crash gos as follows

1. game loads

2. i play game for 5 to 10 minutes

3. no signal on monitor and computer sounds like its restarting but doesn't and i need to hit reset

could this be caused by the same problem that is causing the lock ups?

and now my 1TB hard drive has just gave me the scare of my life!

Edited by yurithedragon

+Spark99    8

I was having a similar problem w/ Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1...

It was a bad Shell Extension (programs that hook into explorer.exe to display Right-Click options and other functionality)

Check Task Manager > Processes (see if explorer is using a lot of RAM)

Install :: Shell Extension Viewer

Sort by Type and disable Shell Extensions that you don't think you'll need

I've been Beta Testing Vista SP2 for a few days and it seems to have eleviated a lot of these problems (still an early Beta... Not ready for Production Systems)

Azusa    930

so far explorer is using 27.604K

+Spark99    8

There seems to be a problem with the Sony SecurROM DRM software that comes bundled with a lot of EA Games on Vista...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...amp;btnG=Search

http://www.google.com/search?q=CmdLineExt....lorer.exe+crash

I've spent a month trying to resolve these issues (I've lost hours of work numerous times because my system has locked up)

I resent them telling me I can not have Alcohol 120% running on my Machine when I use it legitamitely for work

Of course my friends who have downloaded and cracked these games illegally are playing them with no troubles...

...Seems to only be affecting people like me who have actually went out and spent my hard earned $$$ and BOUGHT numerous EA titles !!!

+Spark99    8

Also, you might consider uninstalling CCCP and taking a look at :: ffdshow

Azusa    930
There seems to be a problem with the Sony SecurROM DRM software that comes bundled with a lot of EA Games on Vista...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...amp;btnG=Search

CmdLineExt.dll+explorer.exe+crash

I've spent a month trying to resolve these issues (I've lost hours of work numerous times because my system has locked up)

I resent them telling me I can not have Alcohol 120% running on my Machine when I use it legitamitely for work

Of course my friends who have downloaded and cracked these games illegally are playing them with no troubles...

...Seems to only be affecting people like me who have actually went out and spent my hard earned $$$ and BOUGHT numerous EA titles !!!

not just EA games it's half life two and Gmod crashing like that too

Also, you might consider uninstalling CCCP and taking a look at :: ffdshow

Never had issues with the CCCP before....

Azusa    930

After showing a friend this thread he had the same issue with games crashing and it turned out to be the GFX card could it be the GFX card?

Azusa    930

Ok after some testing she froze again for the first time in ten days

Memory = Fine

500GB Master hard drive = OK

120GB ext = OK

1TB = OK

1TB = OK

all that's left is the MoBo, GFX, and PSU any tests i could run for them?

Azusa    930

second to last bump...

Azusa    930

Last bump + update

After looking inside and finding nothing wrong and still none the wiser as to whats wrong i am just going to get her looked at but i really hope the issue is with the MoBo or PSU.....

Azusa    930

Ok This is getting really irritating Not only has she started to Crash in all games not just Securom infested games but while i was watching a DVD she reset her self it seems everything i do with her at the moment causes something to crash

question does memtest test both sticks?

RadishTM    315

Tests all RAM that is installed, test the sticks individually if you think it's the RAM.

Any info in Vista's Event Viewer just before the crash happened?

Radish?

Azusa    930
Tests all RAM that is installed, test the sticks individually if you think it's the RAM.

Any info in Vista's Event Viewer just before the crash happened?

Radish?

Error 21/11/2008 01:55:23 Kernel-Processor-Power 6 None

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Processor-Power

Date: 21/11/2008 01:55:23

Event ID: 6

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords:

User: SYSTEM

Computer: Misaki_Suzuhara

Description:

Some processor performance power management features have been disabled due to a known firmware problem. Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware.

This seems to be the event that happened at the time of the crash....

joker999    50

happen to me when i play for while game crash random (not sure if same to you) GFX

so i use RivaTuner to underclock the video card with vram, its work fine after all. (you cant see fps drop so much, maybe -5fps)

i didnt overclock it, stupid computer shop lost my video card by post. So they give me a temp GF 8800 512ram.

Azusa    930
happen to me when i play for while game crash random (not sure if same to you) GFX

so i use RivaTuner to underclock the video card with vram, its work fine after all. (you cant see fps drop so much, maybe -5fps)

i didnt overclock it, stupid computer shop lost my video card by post. So they give me a temp GF 8800 512ram.

I would love to try it but not being an OCer i just know i'd mess it up somewhere