• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Are Vizio HDTVs any good?

DaDude    45

I've been looking for a Samsung or a Sony HDTV to buy, but I just simply can't afford one at the moment. The prices are just too high. But I went to Costco the other day and saw a nice Vizio HDTV for about $350. I forgot what size it was, but it's a decent size. It seems like Vizio HDTVs are affordable. However, I didn't buy it as I've never heard of that brand before. So, I was just wondering. How are Vizio HDTVs? Are they good? For those of you who own one, do you experience any issues?

Cormier6083    0

My neighbor has one, and we played Guitar Hero, and it looked really good. I can't speak about standard definition television though.

kalam_    1

I just bought the 22" Vizio from Costco a few weeks ago. Few things I've noticed.

1. We have cruddy cheap cable so the picture is "snowy" and sucks.

2. My Xbox360 looks amazing connected with HDMI.

3. My Computer looks good connected with VGA as a secondary monitor.

I don't know that much about top of the line LCD HDTV's, but for me my Vizio fits my needs perfectly and I've yet to have a problem with it. Price was the biggest factor for me.

SMELTN    142

I myself am looking at purchasing a Vizio HDTV, due to price. Great thread because I would like to know if they are really any good or not.

Reviews from Walmart Customers

I am going to buy mine from walmart if possible due to my wife getting a discount there.

Admiral Michael    0

Just stay away from the Maxent. I work at a Costco and the Maxent TVs have issues, the most common one is the power plug on the TV becomes loose.

Don't forget, with Costco, you have 90 days to test out the TV before you can't return it.

Lasker    0

I bought from Walmart a 32 inch vizio, I am very happy with my purchase, is not as the best TV but the quality is pretty good and more cheap than a Sony or Panasonic. I had been using this TV for over a month without issue.

Tech Star    254

Vizio is a good (I said good not great) TV producer. They don't make the best TV's like Sony, Samsung, or Panasonic, but they make decent budget TV's. If you can't afford a Sony or Samsung then by all means get the Vizio. :)

Cormier6083    0

Though I did see a Samsung at walsmart for about $700. 32" I think, with a 5000:1 contrast ratio

shockz    5,800

I never understand why people look at contrast ratios on spec sheets for TV's... considering they are all junky dynamic contrast ratios... I loved how people would come in and see a top of the line TV... see its 2000:1 static contrast ratio... then see a el cheapo tv and notice it has a 500,000:1 dynamic ratio... and they go with the 500,000:1 one.

Just look at the picture you like best and go with it...

+StevoFC    21
I never understand why people look at contrast ratios on spec sheets for TV's... considering they are all junky dynamic contrast ratios... I loved how people would come in and see a top of the line TV... see its 2000:1 static contrast ratio... then see a el cheapo tv and notice it has a 500,000:1 dynamic ratio... and they go with the 500,000:1 one.

Just look at the picture you like best and go with it...

And there is absolutely no standard as to how contrast ratio is calculated. So comparing a contrast ratio from one manufacturer to another is totally pointless.

DaDude    45
And there is absolutely no standard as to how contrast ratio is calculated. So comparing a contrast ratio from one manufacturer to another is totally pointless.

This may sound dumb, but I never even understood what those contrast ratios meant. My guess is that the higher the ratio, the better contrast the TV has. I could be wrong, so feel free to call me an idiot. But I'd just rather look at the TV at the store and see the picture for myself rather than count on those ratios.

Gunho    0

Vizios are actually really nice. I've got a nice big 42' and its beautiful with an HD signal. A normal cable signal will vary depending on the signal coming from the cable/satellite provider itself. Games and graphics look stunning as well. Try not to get caught up in the name of the manufacturer, but take a look at the image quality of the display model, and play with the display model in the store. My Vizio actually looked a lot better than some of the Sony and Panasonic TVs before even playing with the settings.

Remember stores don't always display TVs/Monitors at their best settings, depending on what type of TV/Monitor they want to move most.

gnuman    14

Stay away from Vizios, they are troublesome and will have issues within a year. They are noted for the boards going or speaker blowing and causing issues.

I've filed quite a few claims on Vizio and they also have powersupply issues. If you buy it get an extended warranty or make sure your CC has an extended warranty insurance on it as well.

+Mystic    10
This may sound dumb, but I never even understood what those contrast ratios meant. My guess is that the higher the ratio, the better contrast the TV has. I could be wrong, so feel free to call me an idiot. But I'd just rather look at the TV at the store and see the picture for myself rather than count on those ratios.

I'm in the same boat as you. :blush:

I was going to start researching this and that about HDTV's because I plan to buy a nice Samsung/Sony 32inch in about a month.

DaDude    45
Stay away from Vizios, they are troublesome and will have issues within a year. They are noted for the boards going or speaker blowing and causing issues.

I've filed quite a few claims on Vizio and they also have powersupply issues. If you buy it get an extended warranty or make sure your CC has an extended warranty insurance on it as well.

Oh wow! Thank you for the warning. What I'll do now is wait for the Sony or Samsung TVs to go down in price and I'll buy one of those. Sounds like Vizio is dangerous. Some people might doubt what you're saying, but I don't because I've never heard of Vizio before. So, they don't exactly have the same reputation that Sony and Samsung has.

medium_pimpin    202

I have a Samsung and know a lot of other that do. I've never heard of anyone having issues with them.

spenser.d    1,100
Oh wow! Thank you for the warning. What I'll do now is wait for the Sony or Samsung TVs to go down in price and I'll buy one of those. Sounds like Vizio is dangerous. Some people might doubt what you're saying, but I don't because I've never heard of Vizio before. So, they don't exactly have the same reputation that Sony and Samsung has.

Uhh, you should research a little more. I've looked into Vizio's some as I'm in the market for a decent cheap TV (and they're heralded as being pretty great for the price) and I haven't really heard any of what he's said. You should always check around for more information instead of taking one guy's experience and none others.

-Spenser

gunnerhkjp    0

That reminds me, pioneer does not state the contrast ratio for their newest kuro plasmas because their black level is so black that it can't be measured :D

Tuffgong4    0

Vizio's are good for what they are priced for. Lower End LCDs at affordable prices. I doubt you will be disappointed if you purchased one. I almost did but came into more money and was able to upgrade. I know two people who are very happy with their vizios.

Just stay away from the Maxent. I work at a Costco and the Maxent TVs have issues, the most common one is the power plug on the TV becomes loose.

Don't forget, with Costco, you have 90 days to test out the TV before you can't return it.

I didn't know you were on this board as well... ;)

DaDude    45
Uhh, you should research a little more. I've looked into Vizio's some as I'm in the market for a decent cheap TV (and they're heralded as being pretty great for the price) and I haven't really heard any of what he's said. You should always check around for more information instead of taking one guy's experience and none others.

-Spenser

I just did. I looked at the Amazon customer reviews and people did complain about speaker problems. There are also more complaints, such as the TVs going dead suddenly. So, I think he's correct. Based on past experiences, Amazon customer reviews are pretty reliable. So, I think I'll stick with a Sony. They're an excellent brand and I never had any issues with their products. I even looked at the Amazon reviews for the Sony TVs and the reviews are really good. 99% of the reviewers gave their Sony TV a five-star rating. That wasn't the case with Vizio. So, I'll just have to wait a couple more years until the HDTV prices go down, that's all, and I'll get a Sony.

am7    0

Ive had a 50" Vizio plasma HD TV since December and have had no problems what so ever with it. Its been the best TV Ive ever had. Th picture quality is so crisp it blows my old CRT 54" away.

Ayepecks    117

Just bumping this because I recently got a Vizio 26" HDTV, and I have to say, the picture quality is great. The speakers sound fine and it works just as good as any TV I've ever used. My brother had to move due to his job (Air Force), and he stopped home and brought his Samsung TVs with him when he did. Anyways, long story short we used his 32" Samsung HDTV and I honestly think the picture quality is pretty comparable, just not as "vivid", though that's due to the choice each manufacturer made.

Can't speak for the issues of going "dead" or anything like that from personal experience, but I did my research and talked to people who own Vizios and none of them have had such problems.