Rebel XSI.. simply stunning

Boz

A few more photos.. the camera is fantastic.. I'm looking into buying a 70-300mm IS lense for shots from a greater distance..

Me :)

2620088262_1fa1c36c66_o.jpg

2602832837_f7e3676c48_o.png

2602831129_9dc69bae81_o.png

2603661404_754ed365fd_o.png

2602830469_ed1f919e5a_o.png

2602830007_b97c3f4326_o.png

-T-

Well I took the plunge, and do not regret it for a second. I'm still trying to learn more about the features and functions of the camera as I am a bit of a n00b in this respect, but I have had fun taking lots of different pics and messing about with it.

I do have a question though, what would you guys recommend as a zoom lends. I got the EF-S 18-55 IS Kit, but would like a lens which would allow me to photograph objects which are a bit further off. It's almost whale season over here and i'd love to get some on film. Any advice or even links to a beginners guide would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

(sorry for the thread hijack)

giga

Budget? 55-250 IS, 70-300 IS, 70-200 f/4L.

-T-

I went into a camera place today, they weren't very helpful, although one piece of info I did get was that a decent zoom lens was the 55-250 IS as mentioned by giga above. I was quoted $489AU for this lens, I'm not too sure if this is a good price. It is within what I'd budget for a lens. I am a bit confused as to how much zoom this would equate to on a regular camera. What would the equivalent optical zoom level be to the one offered by this lens ?

Roadrunna
I went into a camera place today, they weren't very helpful, although one piece of info I did get was that a decent zoom lens was the 55-250 IS as mentioned by giga above. I was quoted $489AU for this lens, I'm not too sure if this is a good price. It is within what I'd budget for a lens. I am a bit confused as to how much zoom this would equate to on a regular camera. What would the equivalent optical zoom level be to the one offered by this lens ?

This might help

crazzyyfool

If your in the UK and want the 450D/XSi. Canon are currently offering a ?50 cashback offer.

• 2 weeks later...
Nate Archibald

After reading your post, and viewing some of your example shots, I went out and chose this over the d80. Currently, I am super happy with my decision. I love the camera so far, and I also went out and bought the Tamron 17-50 lens that was also suggested here. Good combo. I am complete noob too, and I've been able to take some really nice shots.

Daniel.
After reading your post, and viewing some of your example shots, I went out and chose this over the d80. Currently, I am super happy with my decision. I love the camera so far, and I also went out and bought the Tamron 17-50 lens that was also suggested here. Good combo. I am complete noob too, and I've been able to take some really nice shots.

Much the same here! This thread inspired me enough to go out and buy this camera this afternoon, got the kit lens along with a Tamron 70-300mm macro lens which is awesome, such a huge step up from the Ixus 60 I had before! Got that along with a 4GB card, a UV filter and a Lowepro case from Currys.

No pics yet as it's been raining all day and the light isn't very good in my house at the moment but I will post some at some point!

I'm very impressed with the camera and I hope to learn about all the manual controls and some photography techniques soon, going for a trip to Cornwall soon so I should be able to get some nice shots there :)

• 2 weeks later...
rayjin

Boz.. you got some great shots there, I only wish what their settings/mode they were shot in so I could learn from it.

Great job!

Yusuf M.

Those are some pretty good shots but I don't think it justifies the $800 price-tag.

Yusuf M.
Those are some pretty good shots but I don't think it justifies the $800 price-tag.

I must've been on something when I posted that. I recently picked up this camera to replace my Fujifilm Finepix S1000fd and it's amazing. The lens kit that comes with the camera is superb but I had to pick up a 75-300mm lens too. The sample images you posted were enough to make me buy this camera. The only concern I have is the smell of the camera. Normally, I don't complain about something as trivial as odour but it really smells bad. It's almost like rotten eggs put in a fire or something.

HTF

man, thats a nice camera, my brothers got a rebel, and he loves it.

wish i could get one.My sony cybershot point and shoot, just isn't doing it for me any more. My gf would probably kill me if i got a better camera then she has. :p

Prince Charming
I must've been on something when I posted that. I recently picked up this camera to replace my Fujifilm Finepix S1000fd and it's amazing. The lens kit that comes with the camera is superb but I had to pick up a 75-300mm lens too. The sample images you posted were enough to make me buy this camera. The only concern I have is the smell of the camera. Normally, I don't complain about something as trivial as odour but it really smells bad. It's almost like rotten eggs put in a fire or something.

o.o

I don't think my 400D smelt bad when I got it...and I've smelt lots of Canon's range at various events and stuff. Never seen a stinky Canon before :p

Maybe take it back to the shop? Could have been stored badly or something.

Yusuf M.
o.o

I don't think my 400D smelt bad when I got it...and I've smelt lots of Canon's range at various events and stuff. Never seen a stinky Canon before :p

Maybe take it back to the shop? Could have been stored badly or something.

I probably won't take it back, I think that's too extreme. It isn't annoying because you'd have to move in real close to notice it. Anyway, I just got a UV lens filter and I noticed a big difference. I no longer get a blueish haze in my outdoor pictures. It makes the colours stand out better so get one if you don't have it already. You can get it for $6.99 at Amazon. :)

Premgenius

I got some a while ago, it fantastic thanks to many people on Neowin for their guidance.

Yusuf M.

Congratulations on your purchase, DJ Prem. It's a great camera and I agree, if it wasn't for Neowin I probably wouldn't have bought the Canon Rebel XSi. Now if only I can become a better photographer. I'm such a newbie because I rely on the preset shooting modes a little too much.

Premgenius
Congratulations on your purchase, DJ Prem. It's a great camera and I agree, if it wasn't for Neowin I probably wouldn't have bought the Canon Rebel XSi. Now if only I can become a better photographer. I'm such a newbie because I rely on the preset shooting modes a little too much.

Thanks, I myself need to become a better photographer which we can only do by shooting more, I've always like Program mode then the preset try it give you more control over what you want

Yusuf M.

I found a nice guide that explains everything there is to explain about Digital SLR cameras. Click here to read it.