Earth 'not at risk' from collider

Yeah yeah.. all the incredible fascinating fantasy stories (that entertain your boring lives) aside...this machine was supposed to start in May..but nothing happened, just a bunch of delays...when is it going to actually start?

I can't wait, this will be one of the biggest contributions to Science.

Yeah yeah.. all the incredible fascinating fantasy stories (that entertain your boring lives) aside...this machine was supposed to start in May..but nothing happened, just a bunch of delays...when is it going to actually start?

I can't wait, this will be one of the biggest contributions to Science.

They are just finishing the cooldown

http://foraz.web.cern.ch/foraz/schedule.pdf

It should be operational fully within a month or so I would expect.

If it does create a micro black hole, and it doesn't evaporate (it should), then it'll sink to the center of the earth and it'd be thousands of years before it does anything bad.

And that's probably too short a time span (it'll probably take longer).

The one thing it could do which would be instantaneous is cause a false vaccum collapse, this will literally destroy everything in the universe spreading out at the speed of light from the Earth.

Of course the odds on this happening are seriously remote.

Farscape?

lol I thought you meant Michael Crichton, the author.

Anyway, whatever that report says, I'm excited about the first beam injection in August and I finally wanna see a Higgs boson!

Physicists and astronomers live such boring lives that they need to make up all sorts of **** just to make their lives exciting!

They chose to study particle physics because the subject bores them? :huh:

They are just finishing the cooldown

http://foraz.web.cern.ch/foraz/schedule.pdf

It should be operational fully within a month or so I would expect.

The one thing it could do which would be instantaneous is cause a false vaccum collapse, this will literally destroy everything in the universe spreading out at the speed of light from the Earth.

Of course the odds on this happening are seriously remote. :blink:

You are joking right?

oh pleeeeze!!! Their gonna turn on the switch and.....NUTHING weird is going to happen...just like all the other particle accelerators before it!!! Physicists and astronomers live such boring lives that they need to make up all sorts of **** just to make their lives exciting!

Nah, Physicists and astronomers actually get their rocks off on what they do. They don't need to make anything up to feel better. There's only 3 groups of people that I can think of that make crap up to feel better:

1. News media

2. Politicians

3. Religious Extremists

I myself am a Christian that believes in a blend of intelligent design and evolution. I cannot reject science that has been all but proven (evolution) but no one knows for sure where or how the universe began, specifically prior to the big bang (intelligent design).

oh pleeeeze!!! Their gonna turn on the switch and.....NUTHING weird is going to happen...just like all the other particle accelerators before it!!! Physicists and astronomers live such boring lives that they need to make up all sorts of **** just to make their lives exciting!

Lmfao, the grammar and spelling of this post explains everything. :rolleyes:

Why would a particle accelerator manage to create a catastrophe, that cosmic rays, with energy several magnitudes higher than what the LHC generates, haven't managed to do the last four billion years?

Then again, people are stupid and make up **** all day long. There's even a dedicated subforum to this here.

But I'm a religious fundamentalist and still think the LHC is gonna open up a gate to hell!

Event Horizon & Doom come to mind..

The predictable consequences are not what worries me about this experiment. It's the unexpected ones that are the real danger. No one knows what will really happend when this LHC goes online, which makes me wonder how any one could do a "study" on the effects of this experiment.

And, I seem to remember that oh so infamous phrase, "Unforseen Consequences", from a story about how scientists messed around with particle acceleration and opened a door to another dimension full of aliens, ushering in the devastation of the entire human race...hmm...the possibilities.

Wake up Mr. Freeman...Wake up and smell the aaashes

Edited by ViperAFK

nice ... i wonder if the first experiment took place? ... i can only imagine the crazy stuff will come of it .. so exciting ...

for those of you that think the world would end are prolly the same people that thought 2000 was the last year or better yet 12 dec 2012 ... so no fear of u don't die now ... u will soon ... that is just plain silly ... for all i am concerned you could be walking down the street and some flesh eating bacterial is gona eat your insides while a drunk coke addict runs over you ...

on another note come on guys more news .... this is exciting

I think it's worth the risk. If the physicists don't get us, George Bush someone else will. Also, could you imagine how revolutionary sorting out the whole Higgs' Boson mess would be?

So i'm guessing it hasn't been turned on yet? since we are still here :p

seriously though, i just been googling a bit and on the bbc news site, it says its being switched on late summer this year??

I think it's worth the risk. If the physicists don't get us, George Bush someone else will. Also, could you imagine how revolutionary sorting out the whole Higgs' Boson mess would be?

+1 :beer:

Of course the odds on this happening are seriously remote.

Wow, haven't heard that claim invoked about the LHC yet, most of it's been about black holes and strange matter.

In any case, too low energies, and we don't even know if our vacuum is metastable.

I doubt the black hole would live long.

Earth doesn't have the atmosphere or environment to sustain it.

It needs the vacum like environment in space to live.

so it may be a "Temporary Black Hole" which is cool if they can film it so we can see how it is formed.

I don't think I would mind, actually. I think destroying the planet by having created mini-black holes in the name of science would actually be a pretty badass way to go out tongue.gif

-Spenser

Who's gonna talk about it when we are gone ? :rolleyes: no history of our existence will be here :D

But I'm a religious fundamentalist and still think the LHC is gonna open up a gate to hell!

Yesss. Hellboy time. :woot:

Seriously, Can't they wait till after the next Macbook Pro design comes out?