[AUS] Sony dishing out 35,000 free PS3 consoles with TV Purchase

Settle down now. Don't get over-excited. It's not us Brits that will reap the benefits of Sony's PS3 giveaway, it's those lucky Australians.

Sony Australia is giving away a 40GB PS3 with each purchase of its BRAVIA 1080 Full HD LCD TV. TweakTown.com claims that Sony has 35,000 units to giveaway, providing you snap up one of these models.

The news of the offer comes following Sony's fiscal 2008 report yesterday, which confirms that the company has suffered losses of $3 billion over the last couple of years due to the research and manufacturing costs of its console.

Estimates suggested that the PS3 cost $800 per unit to make, yet was sold for $500-$600.

Things are looking brighter for the PS3 over next couple of years though, with a reduction in hardware costs and an ever stronger line-up of PS3 software.

From 1st July ? 31st July, Sony Australia will be relaunching their highly successful bonus PlayStation 3 with purchase of applicable Bravia LCD TV. Customers only need to purchase a 1080 Full HD LCD, register their details online and wait at the post box to receive their PlayStation.

The only catch this time around is that number of bonus PlayStation 3 consoles has been capped at 35,000 by Sony for the duration of the promotion, so first in best dressed.

The following models apply for the free PlayStation 3:

KDL40W3100

KDL46W3100

KDL52W3100

KDL40X3100

KDL46X3100

KDL52X3100

KDL40XBR

KDL46XBR

KDL52XBR

And the following models for release in July also apply:

KDL32V4000

KDL40V4000

Source: http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=13985

Hope they do this again in the UK like they did, I want a new tv and wouldn't say no to a second console.

Yeah I profited big time from the UK deal :p

40" 1080p, 5 yr guarantee and a 40GB PS3 for ?999.

Sold 60GB PS3 for ?500.

TV and PS3 for ?5:p :p

My TV can be bought for around ?680 now, but that's to be expected as new models are just about to come out.

yup, though I wouldn't get rid of my beloved 60gb machine. Be nice to have a machine I can use elsewhere at home for streaming media.

They did this last year. Sony was crucified a few weeks ago however because a large number of the Bravia purchasers have still to receive their PS3.

They don't seem to be doing this over in New Zealand. Maybe in the future. But big deals like the ones you guys get in the States don't seem to happen over here. We didn't get those free Blu-Ray movies or anything along those lines. In fact, the PS3 is not held very highly at all over here. It's all 'zomg wii fit'.

(not hating on the Wii, it rocks).

Ah well, I just wish Sony would hurry up and repair my console...It's been about 2 weeks now...=[

Yeah I profited big time from the UK deal :p

40" 1080p, 5 yr guarantee and a 40GB PS3 for ?999.

Sold 60GB PS3 for ?500.

Haha, I remember that happening!

Good deal down under, I must admit.