No one can ping me, but i can ping others.

Hi, just resently i found out two of my laptops are having connection issues. They can ping any computer on the network and remote to any computers on the network. But no other computer can ping the laptops or remote to the laptops. The firewalls have been turned off. The only thing i can think of is they are the only computers with sp3 installed on them. Could this be the problem or is there a fix or work around this problem or any other test i can perform. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Make sure you have all the protocols installed. Go to your connection -> properties -> install -> protocol and install everything you see there.

OK, i installed the network monitoring driver and the IPX one. Still no one can ping me. I am almost sure this happen because of SP3. I installed SP3 about a month ago and thats when the problem started occuring.

:blink: "protocol and install everything you see there. "

you got to be kidding me!!!

The windows firewall by default will block icmp -- if you want to be able to ping your machine, then configure the firewall correctly to allow that. When you say you turned of the firewall -- did you stop the service, or just tell it not enabled on that interface. if you just turned it off on that interface, but the service is still running -- then its possible that icmp might not reply still

Turn off the firewall service, or allow for icmp replies.

post-14624-1214326835_thumb.jpg

As to installing IPX and network monitoring drivers??? Those have NOTHING to do with allowing for ping.

Edited by BudMan

:blink: "protocol and install everything you see there. "

As to installing IPX and network monitoring drivers??? Those have NOTHING to do with allowing for ping.

Maybe not for ping specifically but I couldn't see other computers on the network until I installed them, which is part of what the op was trying to accomplish.

Hi, just resently i found out two of my laptops are having connection issues. They can ping any computer on the network and remote to any computers on the network. But no other computer can ping the laptops or remote to the laptops. The firewalls have been turned off. The only thing i can think of is they are the only computers with sp3 installed on them. Could this be the problem or is there a fix or work around this problem or any other test i can perform. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Just a couple guesses:

1. File & Printer Sharing turned on?
  2. Same Work Group?

Not doing the best support tonight... :pinch:

OK i tried all suggestions so far. I made sure the ICMP echo request was check. Ran a ping test from another computer and from router telnet menu and there is no response. I turned off the Windows Firewall / ICS Service and ran the ping test with no response from ping test. I checked File & Printer Sharing and it is turned on. One laptop is on the same domain as all the other computers and one laptop is on a workgroup. Even though one is on a workgroup it use to work just fine and was pingable. Only reason i am suggesting SP3 is because i just recently updated mt bosses laptop to SP3 and i can no longer remote to his laptop. He is on the domain and can access all his fine but no one can ping him and i can not remote to his PC. Doing some research on the internet it seems there is a chance that SP3 can corrupt registry files. I will do a bit more research but its starting to look like another format and/or reinstall is in order without SP3 as a final test.

^^ wrong again.. IPX or the network monitoring driver has NOTHING to do with file sharing or "seeing" other computers on the network -- NOTHING!!

Where did the OP say anything about file and print sharing not working??

He said he could not ping the machine - he did not say he could not access file shares, he mentioned he could not remote to them.. Again this has nothing to do with the IPX protocol, or the network monitoring driver is used to capture traffic, ie sniffing.

To be honest I don't think his issue has anything to do with SP3 at all. More than likely he is running the to laptops on wireless router that is plugged into another router --- where his computers are. ie a double nat -- but that is just a wild ass guess on my part. Since he says laptops I will assume they are wireless, but he has not given us this info.

To be honest, we do not have enough info to make an informed suggestion to what his problem is. But what I can tell you for sure is it has nothing to do with IPX or the network monitor driver!

Can the 2 laptops ping or remote to each other? How are the laptops connected to the network, compared to the other machines on the network you say can not ping the laptops.

One laptop is mine and the other laptop is my bosses.

I currently have the wireless connection on my laptop disabled to make sure i isolate the problem. I also tryed turning my wireless on and disable the Local Area Connection make sure i only have one on at a time, so i can test both. I have had no luck with either connection types. My boss has both wireless and LAC on. I tried DHCP on my laptop and I currently set it to a static ip address and still have no luck. I tried to ping his laptop with no luck and i do not have access to his laptop right now to get him to ping my machine. Most of the workstations has static ip address set but i do not want to upgrade any of them to sp3. The copier/scanner use to be able to scan files to my computer but it no longer can find my computer, but i can still get into the http:\\ management software on the copier. The server is still finding my computer and hands out the correct DHCP setting, but the server can not ping the machine in command promt. I tried VNC and RDP and made sure the firewall setting and ports were open and enabled. My assumption is the ICMP is not working correctly so i might try and uninstall the Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller and reinstall it. The only other thing that the laptops share is the software for the sprint datacard and the sprint moblie broadband connection in the network properties.

are you trying to ping the machine by IP or by name?

How are the machines connected together? Wired to the same switch?

When you try to ping the machine by IP -- do you resolve the mac address?

Example..

C:\>arp -a

Interface: 10.40.0.17 --- 0x3

Internet Address Physical Address Type

10.40.0.207 00-0b-db-ae-4f-9b dynamic

10.40.0.218 00-11-43-d2-a2-89 dynamic

10.40.0.219 00-11-43-32-5a-b2 dynamic

10.40.0.233 00-11-43-37-93-51 dynamic

10.40.0.254 00-11-5d-46-a0-0a dynamic

C:\>ping 10.40.0.253

Pinging 10.40.0.253 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.40.0.253: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=255

Reply from 10.40.0.253: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=255

Reply from 10.40.0.253: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=255

Reply from 10.40.0.253: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 10.40.0.253:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 13ms

C:\>arp -a

Interface: 10.40.0.17 --- 0x3

Internet Address Physical Address Type

10.40.0.207 00-0b-db-ae-4f-9b dynamic

10.40.0.218 00-11-43-d2-a2-89 dynamic

10.40.0.219 00-11-43-32-5a-b2 dynamic

10.40.0.233 00-11-43-37-93-50 dynamic

10.40.0.253 00-40-58-00-f5-f3 dynamic

10.40.0.254 00-11-5d-46-a0-0a dynamic

Does this resolve to the correct mac? Do you get all zero's ? what?

You say "I tried VNC and RDP" Did these work??? And just ping is not working? Or do they no longer work either?

Do you have any type of vpn software? For example the cisco vpn client has a firewall that can be turned on. For testing sake I would suggest you turn off the firewall service.

C:\>net stop sharedaccess

The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service is stopping.

The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service was stopped successfully.

• Like 1

Alright BudMan you are pure genius at work. I played around with everything you mentioned and I do have a Cisco VPN on the computer. The Stateful Firewall was set to always on, so I guess it was still active even when I exit out of the VPN. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Yeah that cisco vpn firewall can be a pain ;) Glad to hear you got it working.

BTW -- I would suggest you remove the IPX protocol, unless you have specific use for it.. ie an old game maybe Command & Conquer required ipx to play lan games, etc.. you have NO use for IPX.. Running extra protocols that your not using serves no purpose.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have any type of vpn software? For example the cisco vpn client has a firewall that can be turned on. For testing sake I would suggest you turn off the firewall service.

I've registered for this forum especially to thank you BudMan. We installed MS Small Business Server 2003 two weeks ago and my computer slowly got slower over the network until it I could no longer see it on the network and I couldn't ping it from the other computers. I couldn't log in remotely and thought my problem was something to do with remote logging. My IT person was baffled and put in a new network card. Still no joy for two weeks. I spent three hours this evening searching for a solution and eventually found this forum and your post. I worked my way through your suggestions until I arrived at the Cisco suggestion. That was it. Turned off the Cisco Firewall and the computer is flying again and I can now log in remotely. You are my saviour. No idea why it failed slowly or whether that was just coincidental and I also needed a new network card. I was a fairly upset person till I found this site, so I will be eternally grateful to you. :D :D BTW: What is the purpose of the neowin forum?

Your router by defualt will block ping requests, mine does, check your router settings but 'apparently' my router says to only enable ping if i really need to and is recommended to block ping requests.

Did you even read the thread?? He got his answer quite some time ago 6-24, the VPN client was blocking pings.

And no a router does NOT block pings on the local side.. Yes most of them can block on the wan side, as to be recommend to do such a thing. That could be debated for sure -- and really to be honest if you think your hiding from the bad guys by blocking icmp -- your an naive at best.

There really is little point to blocking icmp echo -- and it only makes harder for you to troubleshoot your own network. Be it to the public net or on your local lan.

Next time at least breeze over the thread before posting ;)

• 1 year later...

Make sure you have all the protocols installed. Go to your connection -> properties -> install -> protocol and install everything you see there.

I laughed but then i was sad if this is what is happening in the world *sigh*. Ping is part of the TCP/IP Protocol now "All the others listed there" lol . . . You are an idiot :) And I mean that in the sweetest way possible.

I laughed but then i was sad if this is what is happening in the world *sigh*. Ping is part of the TCP/IP Protocol now "All the others listed there" lol . . . You are an idiot :) And I mean that in the sweetest way possible.

sawyer check the date on that quote you did..... really old topic, the fkin new guy (post above yours) was thanking budman

:rofl: