WTF License Plates ?

Hum

RALEIGH, N.C. ? Thanks to some text message-savvy grandchildren, North Carolina drivers whose license plates have the potentially offensive "WTF" letter combination can replace the tags for free.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Tuesday the state Division of Motor Vehicles has notified nearly 10,000 holders of license plates with the letter combination. Officials learned last year the common acronym stands for a vulgar phrase in e-mail and cell phone text messages.

But this week, the DMV officials got another surprise when they learned the same letters appeared on the agency's own Web site on a sample personalized plate.

"I can't believe it," DMV Commissioner Bill Gore said Monday when told about the online glitch. "Obviously, I didn't know it was there."

1_21_wtf450.jpg

Officials are working to remove the sample plate.

The "WTF-5505" used on the Web site's sample plate was the first random letter combination available when DMV switched from blue- to red-lettered plates, officials said. DMV spokeswoman Marge Howell received a sample plate WTF-5506 to use as a prop for news stories about the switch.

A 60-year-old technology teacher from Fayetteville complained about the plate last July after her teenage grandchildren clued her in.

source

Sophism

uhh I just got a brand new car and im 99% sure my license plate starts with WTF...

Ill have to check when I leave for work.

Hum

^ Save the plate as a collector's item ;)

+BeLGaRaTh

Not only the WTF, the plate is a post ###### too ... look at the top left ... "First In" :p

Volatile

I heard that on the news in passing.. didn't know it was my state though. To finish the top, its "first in flight". =p

-T-

heh a WTF plate would be cool for about a week

RuudJacobs.NET

Wtf is "vulgar" about wtf ... :s

x-scratch

i do not see nothing wrong with a plate saying wtf to me it just like any other plates

Sophism

Ohh mine begins with XXT, must have scene them while in works parking lot. Walked through today and counted 5 of em beginning with WTF.

Eitherway i ordered my Personalize plate last week. "Quad DMG" ;)

mycoolkim

wow, my friends skyline and now his mr2 number plates us WTF-33R which means wtf 33r as in skyline r33 and what fear

maplecookie

lol I heard this on the radio on the way to work this morning. I bet every computer savvy teen is just giggling away when they see their parents drive off.

Damo R.

Thats pretty awesome and funny, WTF is so commonly used now.

Stephen

offensive? how exactly...

webeagle12

well is WTEEF is allowed? :wacko:

S_Herbie

I think WTF is becoming too commonly used... A lot of people seem to have forgotten WTF it stands for!

NoLiMiT06

We also have a plate with "XXX" as the first 3 letters pretty funny honestly but I wish I had the "WTF" plate lol

pyehac

OMG LOL

(sorry, I just had to do it)

tiagosilva29

Offensive acronyms? CIA! ***** In Action!

bloodrain

edited so I dont get my 80% warning up to 100%

monkey13

Not all this rubbish again. I remember the same "controversy" over FCUK. If they are going to ban WTF maybe they should ban ATM or this as well.

chconline
I think WTF is becoming too commonly used... A lot of people seem to have forgotten WTF it stands for!

It obviously stands for "Where's the fridge". Right? ... Right guys?

virgo89

^ "Where's the fun?"

spenser.d
It obviously stands for "Where's the fridge". Right? ... Right guys?

It stands for "What the mmm'kay", obviously... :p

-Spenser

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

personally i dont see an issue with the WTF plates, apparently since their inception nobody else did either, and im shure there are a vast majority that knew what it " could " stand for

Dev Null Zen

I want an omgwtfbbq plate. I dont think any states use 9 characters though.