Dissapointed in Ubuntu 8.04

Dissapointed with Ubuntu 8.04?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Dissapointed with Ubuntu 8.04?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care for Ubuntu/never used it.

I have been using Linux for six years, for servers and sometimes desktops, and I have found Ubuntu to be an acceptable desktop distro. However, I have not been able to install all the old software I was familiar with in the latest version (8.04). Does anyone else feel the same? Differently?

Edit: Easily install with APT without having to do a <snipped> load of modifications. I don't mind configuring servers but I want it to be easy for desktops, understandably.

Please do not bypass the swear filter

Edited by Barney

Not disappointed at all.

What "crap"load (bypassing swear filter with numbers is probably a no-no) of apps do you have problems installing? Or what apt modifications do you do?

I am seriously curious what strange apps you use that need this. Everything I use (except google earth, UT2k4, and Doom3 Demo) have been installed using the package manager.

I haven't had any problems with 8.04.

Linux still has a long way to go on the desktop side imo. Video drivers aren't up to par and Gnome needs the love of a professional graphic designer.

Not disappointed at all, switched from Vista ultimate to Ubuntu 8.04 full time (have used Ubuntu since 7.04 but not full time) and have been very satisfied with it. Much better and faster that windows.

Currently have Ubuntu 8.04 on 7 of the 8 pc's in the house, and the last one doesn't have Ubuntu for the reason that it's a gaming machine...

PS: Everything works fine, the only thing I had to investigate to get to work on my laptop ASUS G1 was the small oled (as they call it), everything else just worked. Wireless, graphics card, card reader, sound, touchpad, media buttons (never got to work on windows)... everything

FYI DrIvErS ArE tHe IsSuE wItH LiNuX FyI

Ironically, most of my hardware works better with Linux. There are lots of junk, cheap PC, component manufactures that are too lazy or sloppy to code their own proper Windows drivers. Fortunately, in the open source world, a developer unconnected to the manufacturer will pick up the slack and make a driver that works better than the Windows counterparts. Now, if you're speaking specifically in regards to GPU drivers, the closed source nature of the binaries is the result of being dependent on Nvidia and ATI for 3D support.

Ironically, most of my hardware works better with Linux...
I think he was just trolling, like if I went into a Windows thread and said "Windows is the problem with.. err... Windows" :unsure:

Gave up on Ubuntu some time ago. After 6.04LTS, there shouldn't have even been anymore releases for a little while anyway.

Ubuntu feels like Nero on Windows to me, WAY full of excessive bloat!

Way more other distros are better. Even for a beginner.

Gave up on Ubuntu some time ago. After 6.04LTS, there shouldn't have even been anymore releases for a little while anyway.

Ubuntu feels like Nero on Windows to me, WAY full of excessive bloat!

Way more other distros are better. Even for a beginner.

What would you recommend, then?

I've been thinking about switching to a Linux distro and I've seen more than a few say the same thing but never elaborate.

I've just switched full-time to 8.04 and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Windows user at work. I was using Vista Ultimate 64bit but the lure of not having to worry about viruses and the like was too much.

I don't know what modification the OP had to make to APT. Perhaps he/she means adding third-party repositories to get software? I had to add a few to get Hardy-specific versions of stuff but not a major problem.

All of my hardware works out of the box including my wireless printer! BTW, if you're looking for a linux compatible printer, get a Brother - their linux support is awesome.

So far it's been extremely stable for me and I use VirtualBox to run WIndows so I can VPN into work.

What would you recommend, then?

I've been thinking about switching to a Linux distro and I've seen more than a few say the same thing but never elaborate.

I would say Fedora is a well-used alternative. I don't really understand when people say that Ubuntu is too bloated as it's one of the only distros that fits on a CD :p I recommend trying out Ubuntu at least, you can run it from the CD. If it's an older machine, consider Xubuntu or Fluxbuntu.

ubntu is broken i dont bother using it on my pc

Umm...that's nice. You're more than welcome to not use it, but I would probably say it's the least "broken" distro out there.

The only thing keeping me from going to Ubuntu full-time is the Zune software and Steam. Microsoft Office is pretty nice too - say what you want, but Open Office doesn't hold a candle to it.

Anybody know a way to run Zune software or Steam on Ubuntu? I've heard some success with Steam in Wine, but not Zune...

I use Debian Etch and find it more than adequate, so if Ubuntu is not your cup of tea, maybe the parent distro is an alternative. With the 200+ different distros of Linux available, I am sure that there is one that will suit your fancy! :yes:

I haven't had any problems with 8.04.

Linux still has a long way to go on the desktop side imo. Video drivers aren't up to par and Gnome needs the love of a professional graphic designer.

I'm curious to know in what way are the icons lacking? compared to Windows, they're a work of art. Thats not saying much for either Windows or GNOME btw.

The only thing keeping me from going to Ubuntu full-time is the Zune software and Steam. Microsoft Office is pretty nice too - say what you want, but Open Office doesn't hold a candle to it.

Anybody know a way to run Zune software or Steam on Ubuntu? I've heard some success with Steam in Wine, but not Zune...

I've got a better idea, throw away your Zune - its an expensive paper weight. Purchase a Cowon D2 player + 32GB SDCard, voila, end of story.

I'm actually very happy with Ubuntu 8.04. However, I did have some serious problems with it for a while but that was caused by me screwing around with it and not knowing what I was doing :p A fresh install fixed that and it's running great :happy:

I'm happy i made the switch to ubuntu. It installed perfectly on my dell e1505. I'm no computer wiz but i cheated in the installation. I use wubi :D but yea once i got ubuntu booted up and loaded. I started playing around with it. It recognized all my hardware, I even manage to take it to another level by installing compiz. Did I mention im running my ubuntu without any antivirus or spyware software. Anyways heres a screenshot of my ubuntu in after using it for a good month and a half

post-47012-1214738458_thumb.png

I've got a better idea, throw away your Zune - its an expensive paper weight. Purchase a Cowon D2 player + 32GB SDCard, voila, end of story.

That is a trolling comment. The poster was not asking for this kind of advice..... nor did it address his question. I'd suggest not posting these types of remarks in the future.