PS3 Update 2.4 Out Now! - Tutorial videos Inside

Narc2500

What do you guys think about the Music player they added? It just does not look/feel like part of the XMB :s. I hope it does not end up like that as Eric said, because it is ugly.

If we are having FULL XMB in-game, will we be able to access network settings and other stuff too? (I know we will be able to access some settings.. but ALL OF THEM?) This means we will be able to do this while watching videos too? :D

+Audioboxer
What do you guys think about the Music player they added? It just does not look/feel like part of the XMB :s. I hope it does not end up like that as the guy said, because it is ugly.

If we are having FULL XMB in-game, will we be able to access network settings and other stuff too? This means we will be able to do this while watching videos too? :D

Music player seems ok. I know MS have some things patented, so as long as Sony do their best.

Wish the player would overlay the game, rather than having to jump to XMB to control - But I guess it's pretty quick at loading.

I just hope streaming music will work as well. They didn't show it off, but they don't always show everything.

The XMB works just now when you're watching videos ;)

+Audioboxer

According to PS3Fanboy,

There's more to come in another video later today, which will show off the trophy system. Not only that, but keep your eyes peeled right here for more detailed, exclusive info on what's to come.

Source: http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/06/30/watch-...his-2-40-video/

Hope that's true!

Narc2500

I know XMB works when watching videos, but I mean accessing settings. It stops what your watching if you try to access a setting.

+Audioboxer
I know XMB works when watching videos, but I mean accessing settings. It stops what your watching if you try to access a setting.

Ahh fair point. I just now it works, I've never really tried to do anything when watching a vid, apart from load up the XMB and load another vid (sometimes I pick the wrong episode).

+Audioboxer

Sneak peak at trophies?

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

Looks like comparing with a friend!

We'll see soon :)

Narc2500

Wow. That's great!

What's with that date? 7/2 20:00? :ninja:

+Audioboxer
Wow. That's great!

What's with that date? 7/2 20:00? :ninja:

Good point :wacko:

By the way, looks like voice chat may be included! (not been confirmed yet)

nexfdk.jpg

Also supposedly more info at 4PM (Europe/UK time),

Want more information on Firmware 2.40? Well, expect an avalanche of information, including the World's first official look at the PS3's Trophy system, at 4PM GMT today (8AM EST / 5AM PST)1, which is also when we assume the PS Blog will upload their 2nd video. We'll obviously have all the info as soon as we can.

In the meantime, a few nuggets slipping out include rumours that not all games will support the in-game XMB when Firmware 2.40 launches2 - if the game doesn't support the new standard apparently the game will simply show you the default in-game screen (with controller options, etc) instead. Presumably games can be patched, but we'll see.

Finally, if the second video hits at 4PM, does that mean the Firmware will go live3 this week...?

Sources: 1, 2, 3.

Source: http://thesixthaxis.com/more_info_on_240_c...s_1237_tsa.aspx

Edited by Audioboxer
Narc2500

Now that we are all distracted with firmware 2.40, I would like to hear something from Sony about Home! :)

Firmware 2.40 + Home = :innocent: :bounce: :punk: :jump:

+Audioboxer
Now that we are all distracted with firmware 2.40, I would like to hear something from Sony about Home! :)

Firmware 2.40 + Home = :innocent: :bounce: :punk: :jump:

E3 for that mate!

Rumours are the closed beta will be opening for more people ;)

Part of the newest update to Home the testers got earlier last week was to do with allowing the servers to handle more people efficiently, and cut down on the lag currently experienced when server stress test events were held (basically large numbers of people getting together in one area to listen to Sony representatives say things/update them).

That's obviously paving the way for more people/new testers to get involved.

Then an open beta/release in the fall.

+Audioboxer
Anywhere i can download this video? Cant watch it in work... :(

Does youtube work in your work?

Does youtube work in your work?

Yea, but forgot my headphones today too :p

Internet is down at home, need to get the wireless transmitter fixed... very slow at the moment

Normally download a few videos, podcasts etc at work and bring them home with me.

+Audioboxer
Yea, but forgot my headphones today too :p

Internet is down at home, need to get the wireless transmitter fixed... very slow at the moment

Normally download a few videos, podcasts etc at work and bring them home with me.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vl2hI4Eh_Z0

:)

Can you not hear anything then? Eric explains quite a few things in the video I guess you'd near to hear.

I just used vixy.net on it.

I'll watch it when i get home... Thanks

WelshBluebird
One thing that bugs me is that going to the XMB does not pause the game, which I think is completely backwards of what one would expect. What game would you want to leave playing while you're fiddling with other things? It just doesn't make sense :ermm:

Its the same with the 360 really. Most games do pause when you pull up the dashboard in game, but some do not. I'd assume as with the 360, devs have to specifically tell the game to pause when the PS button is pressed.

+Audioboxer

Official Press Release:

System software update 2.40 lets you access the PS3 Home Menu (XMB) while playing games as well as letting you show off your Trophies.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has announced new online gaming functionality for PLAYSTATION 3 with system software update 2.40, an automatic update that delivers several of the features most requested by PS3 fans. Combined with PLAYSTATION Network?s unique service of free* online gaming, the enhancement makes PS3 an even more attractive platform of choice for the online gamer.

Firstly, system software 2.40 allows PS3 Home Menu (XMB) access in-game. This means that you can access the PS3 Home Menu (XMB) at any time while playing most games, simply by tapping the PlayStation button on your controller. With 2.40, you can check if any of your friends are online (thanks to their own user profile), read and send messages, change some settings for games, all without having to quit the game you are playing. While you can?t pause an online multiplayer game involving other people, you can rejoin play at any time when you?ve finished browsing.

System software update 2.40 also delivers trophies to recognise players? achievements in the online arena. Other competitive activities recognise winners with trophies ? so why not gaming on PS3? Many online games will have gold, silver and bronze trophies ? with platinum available for those who snag all three ? all displayed on the PS3 Home Menu (XMB) for everyone to see. Complementing these enhanced communications features, the Friends list capacity will double to 100 Friends so you can stay in touch with even more PS3 owners around the world.

The 2.40 enhancement is just one more reason to join PLAYSTATION Network, the online network for PS3 users that lets you play online for free*. All you need to do to join is connect your PS3 to broadband and register, or go to the connection guide at eu.playstation.com to find out more. Once in, you?ll find online matches and leagues for all of your favourite games absolutely free (although users are responsible for paying their broadband fees) and at any time of the day or night.

You?ll also find PLAYSTATION Store, where you can download entire games as well as extra levels, content for your existing games plus Internet browsing, video chat thanks to PLAYSTATION Eye and much, much more.

There?s never been a better time to join PLAYSTATION Network. Sign up now to make the most of system software update 2.40.

* No subscription required, broadband fees apply.

Source: http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/news...-gaming-on-PS3/

I'd say we're getting the trophies example within the next hour or two, and probably 2.4 tomorrow (Tuesday). A day we usually see firmware updates.

I don't think Thursday as a store update and firmware update on the same day wou:p kill the servers :p

American Ninja

Just watched the video AWESOME! Cant wait for the next video! It should be uploaded at 8AM EST A bunch of sites will have more info on unnannounced features at 8AM EST thats about 15 mins. away! PS3 just keeps getting better and better! (Y)

richardsim7

Gimmie gimmie gimmie gimmie!!! :D

-Rich-

PiracyX
Just watched the video AWESOME! Cant wait for the next video! It should be uploaded at 8AM EST A bunch of sites will have more info on unnannounced features at 8AM EST thats about 15 mins. away! PS3 just keeps getting better and better! (Y)

I agree, However before all of this was announced, the services/features that they had intially were very poor.

It is good to see Sony finally step up a gear although they did it far too late that they should of done IMO.

popisdead uk
I agree, However before all of this was announced, the services/features that they had intially were very poor.

It is good to see Sony finally step up a gear although they did it far too late that they should of done IMO.

You can't help but put a negative slant on it can you? The features were there, they just needed bringing together. As a stand alone, free service is was far from poor. Compared to XBL, it was lacking a few key things.

Sethos
Its the same with the 360 really. Most games do pause when you pull up the dashboard in game, but some do not. I'd assume as with the 360, devs have to specifically tell the game to pause when the PS button is pressed.

Haven't seen a single 360 offline game not pausing when brining up the Dashboard

popisdead uk
Pretty much every offline game pauses when you bring up the dashboard ...

I would say 95% of them do, yes. It's no great hardship to hit the pause button first though (on either platform).