PS3 Update 2.4 Out Now! - Tutorial videos Inside

The 2.40 update provides developers with the tools that will enable them to offer personalized background music as an option in their games, and the supporting titles are expected to be announced in the future.

so the devs will have the choice of letting us listen to our own music or not? hhm... that's one way of doing it I guess... not how I would have liked to be to done, but it works for me.

also... if anyone has a direct download link I would much apreciate it:yes:, since I'm at work and most of these pages are bocked :(

I know, so was I. It really does appear that no matter what Sony offer, certain people won't be happy.

Trophies are not the be all and end all of gaming, they are just something that games from now on will support if you are interested in that sort of thing. Most of the older games will more than likely be patched, and if you are a trophy ###### you will replay those games.

This is great news for PS3, yet the same people can do nothing but spin a negative slant on it all (I don't particularly mean you, even with that sig)

People need to remember, the PS3 is not the 360. Everything the 360 does, the PS3 does not need to follow, but when they do (due to customers requesting it) they are accused of copying. Cant bloody win!

Well if everyone was honest, putting all fanboy crap aside, they are copying at the end of the day with their own spin on it. Is it a bad thing? Not really, it's great the PS3 has the features too now, Sony saw that it worked great on the Xbox/360 and wanted to offer something likewise. Everyone sees it differently though and in some cases I wish the console had more differences between them. I think that's what I'll enjoy about Home most likely (Y)

so the devs will have the choice of letting us listen to our own music or not? hhm... that's one way of doing it I guess... not how I would have liked to be to done, but it works for me.

also... if anyone has a direct download link I would much apreciate it:yes:, since I'm at work and most of these pages are bocked :(

Not the official Sony videos, but a direct feed quickly showing off the new features with Pixel Junk Monsters - http://gamevideos.com/video/id/19717

edit: You have to visit the page to download, direct linking isn't allowed :(

Well if everyone was honest, putting all fanboy crap aside, they are copying at the end of the day with their own spin on it. Is it a bad thing? Not really, it's great the PS3 has the features too now, Sony saw that it worked great on the Xbox/360 and wanted to offer something likewise. Everyone sees it differently though and in some cases I wish the console had more differences between them. I think that's what I'll enjoy about Home most likely (Y)

I guess the point is every console this generation is doing it, so it's tiresome when people drop in to lay down their only comment of "Console X has copied Console Y".

If it's not a bad thing, I dunno why certain people have to keep bringing it up in a negative fashion. Which is why we moan at them.

Your signature is clearly a knock at the fact the PS3 is now getting custom soundtracks, so even you're a part of what your condemning.

That's all am saying.

Its the nature of the business they are in though. MS copy Sony, Sony copy MS. No big deal really. I agree that HOME will set the two consoles apart though. Perhaps then MS will copy that?

To the people who complain, would you complain if you went to a party and they weren't serving your particular brand of beer? The point is, you don't complain when something is FREE and handed to you. Thank you Sony for not charging.

Assuming in-game XMB/acheivements/custom sound tracks have finally arrived, what other features does a pay service (XBL) have that a free service (PSN) is still missing? Anyone?

Yes, the Playstation 3 holds that feat and it's nearly two years old :rolleyes:

The whole trophies system is merely tacked on aswell. Most developers have to patch it previous games or won't at all. Just because a few games are confirmed to have trophies patched into the game doesn't mean all games will.

Obviously it is nice that the features have arrived in someway, but what i want Sony to do before the release of PS4 is finalised the whole system/services structure first and formost and then release the console.

I mean custom soundtracks have been supported for 7 years now on Xbox. So as the say goes time and time again in the past few years, Sony you're late!

the original playstation supported custom soundtracks actually, granted not all games but you could swap cds and play audio cds whilst playing a game :p

Your signature is clearly a knock at the fact the PS3 is now getting custom soundtracks, so even you're a part of what your condemning.

I'm having a little fun as always :) My sig is full of win and fact though (Y) :p (even created today at 13:37pm :woot: :laugh:)

@popisdead, yeah I think MS will copy Home. Maybe not this generation, who knows. If avatars are introduced for the 360 I think the natural progression would be to implement something like Home on the next Xbox.

@ dev, how on earth can you have two disks in the PS1 at the same time? :blink:

If you are a casual gamer that doesn't have much time surely you aren't someone that should be caring about trophies in the first place? And if you have games that you don't want to play again then the associated achievements shouldn't be something to worry about anyway as you by the sound of things don't even like the game.

What are you going on about?

First and foremost, I am not a casual gamer, not sure where you even get that from.

Your last sentence makes no sense, "by the sound of thing's don't even like the game"? What game do I not even like? Do you mean I do not like games in general?

If you are trying to imply because I only play a game once I do not like it you are dead wrong, It means I am 33 years old, married with a 6 month old house and a 8 year long career, and I simply do not have the time to play games over and over again and again, especially since I like to play as many games as possible because I am a hardcore gamer.

And I also clearly stated...

Oh well, I have never really been to concerned with the whole idea of Achievements anyway, I just play games and if I get them I get them,

And that was my point clear and concise.

I am indeed not concerned about them at all so in the grand scheme of things if I do not get them I do not get them I am not going to lose any sleep at all, but I was sharing the fact that if you are going to implement a feature like this, my feelings are it is to big not to be retroactive and I definitely feel I should get them since I after-all have already played the game(s) that will implement the feature.

swap...you know take one out and put another in?

Then how on earth did you continue to play whatever game you took out. From what I remember the game would crash as soon as you remove the disk :blink:

You're in a world of your own it seems (N)

Then how on earth did you continue to play whatever game you took out. From what I remember the game would crash as soon as you remove the disk :blink:

You're in a world of your own it seems (N)

games can play fine for a period without the discs in on both ps1 / ps2, not my problem if you can't take it that sony did something before the xbox even came out, even PCs allowed playing custom soundtracks before the xbox :p

To the people who complain, would you complain if you went to a party and they weren't serving your particular brand of beer? The point is, you don't complain when something is FREE and handed to you. Thank you Sony for not charging.

Assuming in-game XMB/acheivements/custom sound tracks have finally arrived, what other features does a pay service (XBL) have that a free service (PSN) is still missing? Anyone?

Please take note that all these features you talk about have been free since day 1 on Live.

Please take note that all these features you talk about have been free since day 1 on Live.

Here we go again, comparing. WHO CARES WHAT XBL HAS/DOES?

Can we please talk about the 2.40 update due to hit on Wednesday and leave the comparisons out of this please???

Did you even read what he quoted, Ricardo Gil didn't start the comparisons in his argument, Ozzy did, why didn't you say something then?

I will state this all yet again...

People are allowed to share their opinion, both positive and negative, about the topic at hand.

There is really no other way to put it.

If you feel a person has stated their opinion just to incite others, report it, and the moderation staff will review it.

This does not mean however report someone else's opinion just because you do not agree with it, and it also does not give anyone the right to attack anyone directly.

So if someone has said something you disagree with, you have two clear options...

Quote the person, and share why you disagree with it.

Ignore the person, and move on.

And actually the last option once again, if you really feel the opinion was shared just to cause something and is indeed trolling, then REPORT IT.

But please keep in mind people can indeed be negative about something if they choose to do so.

If you feel nothing negative can be said about Sony in the Sony specific forums, and nothing negative can be said about MS in the MS specific forums, and so on and so forth, then never-mind here, online forums are not for you, as the whole definition of forum is...

A public meeting place for open discussion.

A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website.

Can we please talk about the 2.40 update due to hit on Wednesday and leave the comparisons out of this please???

There's going to be comparisons, can't handle that don't look at the web for the next week or so it will be crazy.

However the blunt attitude of coming in here and going "XBL/360 had it first, NANANANANA!" is just part of the tiresome comments we see in nearly every PS3/PS3 firmware/PSN topic.

Some of you guys should just create a topic in the MS section and talk about everything you like that the 360 has that the PS3 doesn't/got late.

I don't see why you need to constantly tell people in the Sony section, you know, the section relating to Sony products.

Did you even read what he quoted, Ricardo Gil didn't start the comparisons in his argument, Ozzy did, why didn't you say something then?

I thought it would quote all of the post, that was aimed at all, not just Ricardo Gil - my apologies Ricardo for singling you out there, wasn't intentional.

If you feel nothing negative can be said about Sony in the Sony specific forums, and nothing negative can be said about MS in the MS specific forums, and so on and so forth, then never-mind here, online forums are not for you, as the whole definition of forum is...

Just to clear things up from my end, that is not what I said/mean/meant.

This is what I'm talking about,

One topic that gets heavily discussed internally at Neowin is what to do with the large number of anti-social, toxic users who seem to get off on poisoning threads, news items, etc. here on Neowin.

These are the people who will go out of their way to insult people, companies, or anything else purely out of some need to spew forth venom.

On the one hand, we don't want Neowin to become excessively moderated where people are afraid of what they say. But on the other hand, it's an increasing problem that Neowin is ending up the refuge of all the jerks who have been banned from other sites.

You know the types. They're the ones who comment on posts calling people names because they didn't like the post. They're the ones posting on news items saying "Why is this news?" or Flaming the software or game announcement without knowing anything about what is being announced. Or they're the guy who flames the poster who is asking for help because they didn't search every last post on the site before posting.

We seem to have a lot of these toxic users here. Some of us would just do a big house cleanining at once. Just start going through looking for these users and getting rid of them. They're such a tiny % of our traffic that they add nothing to the success of the site. Others want to do that but are concerned about the back lash.

So I'm curious as to what you think? Would you like to see us take a harder line against toxic users or do you think the concept of "free speech" (even on a privately held site) trumps the desire to remove the jerks? Or something in between.

Source: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?auto...;showentry=1800

Not saying anyone is maybe as extreme as Frogboy is talking about, but some people are at times seemingly going down those paths - Even if it's only half way down the path :whistle:

Edited by Audioboxer

What are you going on about?

First and foremost, I am not a casual gamer, not sure where you even get that from.

Your last sentence makes no sense, "by the sound of thing's don't even like the game"? What game do I not even like? Do you mean I do not like games in general?

If you are trying to imply because I only play a game once I do not like it you are dead wrong, It means I am 33 years old, married with a 6 month old house and a 8 year long career, and I simply do not have the time to play games over and over again and again, especially since I like to play as many games as possible because I am a hardcore gamer.

And I also clearly stated...

And that was my point clear and concise.

I am indeed not concerned about them at all so in the grand scheme of things if I do not get them I do not get them I am not going to lose any sleep at all, but I was sharing the fact that if you are going to implement a feature like this, my feelings are it is to big not to be retroactive and I definitely feel I should get them since I after-all have already played the game(s) that will implement the feature.

The "I don't have the time" makes it sound like you play now and then. And what I meant is if you aren't willing to play through a game again then you can't like it that much. But you've already explained why.

I can see why Sony aren't making the trophies retroactive, with how easy it is to download a game save. People would just load up GameFAQs, download 100% gamesaves for everything going and put them on their PS3s, rendering the whole system pointless and unfair.

Its nice to see that PS3 is finally getting these much needed features but Sony sure have taken their bloody time with it!

Like people have said, these should have been here since the start. Don't gimme any of that rubbish about not been around as long as Live. Xbox had custom sound tracks since forever. Hell, PSN was even started on PS2 so they've had time.

Let's hope the wait was worth it and lives up to the 'hype'!

The "I don't have the time" makes it sound like you play now and then. And what I meant is if you aren't willing to play through a game again then you can't like it that much. But you've already explained why.

I can see why Sony aren't making the trophies retroactive, with how easy it is to download a game save. People would just load up GameFAQs, download 100% gamesaves for everything going and put them on their PS3s, rendering the whole system pointless and unfair.

The biggest issue is probably that most previous games are going to need to be patched to include trophies.

With no system in place in these games when you played through, there was nothing to pickup on trophies or flag your progress. I mean, what happens if one trophy is triple jump 5 times in a row, say? Even with a 100% completed save game, how would that game when patched in AFTER the game was released, possibly know you triple jumped 5 times? That's just not something that would be stored in a save game file.

(Yes I know, that would be a lame trophy :p)

Its nice to see that PS3 is finally getting these much needed features but Sony sure have taken their bloody time with it!

Like people have said, these should have been here since the start. Don't gimme any of that rubbish about not been around as long as Live. Xbox had custom sound tracks since forever. Hell, PSN was even started on PS2 so they've had time.

Let's hope the wait was worth it and lives up to the 'hype'!

I agree, it should have been here from the start. People will always be disappointed with 2.40 because of the hype that's built up around it, but from the video's it's looking just like what I expected.

Happy days.

Hello everyone.

First of all i feel sad for not seeing that some people are not satisfied with fw 2.40... This is yet to be the best firmware update for PS3 since the launch date. I am not 100% satisfied of course but 95% satisfied. The only thing is that some games will not support trophies right away.. but i have faith that since development tools have been sent to the developers, the patches should arrive very very soon. I am not satisfied because i had stopped playing many offline games due to the fact that i knew i had to play them over to get trophies.

On the other hand lets keep this thread clean. I sometimess feel stressed reading posts in this page in a beautiful day and in such a great topic.

Oh my gosh people, I think we can all agree XBL have been on the top with regard to online gaming for many years. I think we all can also agree Sony has been improving PSN with firmware updates that's quickly closing the gap between the two.

Obviously, Sony thought other features needed more attention than in-game XMB/custom soundtracks, etc hence why it took this long to arrive. But, those once exclusive features to XBL are finally coming to PSN, for free.

Edited by gigapixels