Wireless Stuff

Hey Guys,

I am getting a powerbook soon, and of course I want to go wireless. I want to find a solution so both MAC and PC can benefit from this upgrade. From what I been reading, I could either buy an airport, and hack a particular model of PCMCIA Wireless card for PC to work with it, or I can buy a 3rd party solution that will work on both platforms (which is where i am leaning too).

Can anyone provide any good brand names for either or, any advice, etc.

Thanks

:$

you don't have to modify anything for airport to work with standard 802.11b compliant devices. i don't know who told you otherwise. all you have to do which is somewhat out of the ordinary, is if you're running an encrypted network (need a password to get on) you have to use the system version of the password on your mac to login. there are tutorials on how to get this very easily.

so in the end, just buy a good 802.11b card for your other computers and any 802.11b router if you want one. the airport card for your powerbook will work fine with any of it.

btw, if you're buying the 15" powerbook, i'd wait for new ones are supposed to come out very soon.

• 4 weeks later...

cq107 - the new router is the same speed as the extreme :) (both at 54Mbps using the 2.4GHz band)

I've looked into everything concerning both the AirPort / AirPort Extreme and the new Linksys Gateway / Broadband Router.

Both - Backwards compatible 802.11g and 802.11b (because they both share the 2.4GHz channel). Below is what I mean (assuming you want the 54Mbps and the backwards 22Mbps)

AirPort - main problems are:

- Not so compatible with Windows (it requires a lot of hard work to get the basics working - and not all of it will work perfectly)

- Price is kinda' hefty in comparison (?150-180)

...But it does look good

Linksys (the Gateway or Broadband Router):

- Price is nicer (?110-?120)

- Perfect Windows compatibility

- Works nicely with Mac's

All you need is the Wireless PC Card (?60) in the PC, the AirPort card in the Mac (?70 ish) and instead of the AirPort Base Station, I would seriously recommend the Linksys Broadband Router (or the Gateway). Amazon sells them both in the UK & US, in the search box just linksyss.

P.S.

Aalll the readings of the tech manuals on both technologies, in April I'll definitely be getting the Linksys Broadband Router.

Dunno, we have had no issues getting our PCs on our Airport Extreme network at all. Just poped right on. We do have issues getting them to print to the built in USB port, but that's a completely different topic.

-SD