Would a BD drive on a PC be the same quality as a stand-alone BD playe

Suppose I install a BD optical drive in my PC and hook it up to my HDTV, will the quality be the same as a stand-alone player? Would I need anything to "up" the quality? I know that Nvidia cards have something called "pure-video" I think.. Does that do anything?

Suppose I install a BD optical drive in my PC and hook it up to my HDTV, will the quality be the same as a stand-alone player? Would I need anything to "up" the quality? I know that Nvidia cards have something called "pure-video" I think.. Does that do anything?

Stand-alone players will use their own processors to display the content, meaning you don't have to take processor usage into account when opening extra programs etc. on the system.

Stand-alone players will use their own processors to display the content, meaning you don't have to take processor usage into account when opening extra programs etc. on the system.

What about video quality, though?

Yes. If you hook up a standalone BD player and a computer with a BD drive to the same display using the same connectors (probably HDMI), both signals should be completely identical. There maybe more requirements to having the BD drive on the PC which make the standalone box an easier or practical choice (secure HDCP pathways on the PC), but otherwise, the quality will be identical.

it will be better if you were able to get a video card with a true hdmi out. most video cards that offer that are in the price range of $350+. You could use digital dvi cables but their bandwidth isnt as high as hdmi 1.3 cables. its that reason alone that i decided to purchase a ps3/stand alone blu ray player vs purchasing a blu ray drive.

The above post contains a lack of truths.

Graphics cards are very much available with true HDMI out for far FAR less. For example the HD2400 and all later ATi graphics cards (HD2/3/4 generation) are capable of it. A decent board for $75 with HDMI out capability. Also, DVI-D and HDMI video signals are the same. HDMI just carries a sound signal in addition.

it will be better if you were able to get a video card with a true hdmi out. most video cards that offer that are in the price range of $350+. You could use digital dvi cables but their bandwidth isnt as high as hdmi 1.3 cables. its that reason alone that i decided to purchase a ps3/stand alone blu ray player vs purchasing a blu ray drive.

yeah this isnt true... DVI can easily carry a 1080p signal. HDMI simply carries audio w/ it. but, yes, HDMI 1.3 has more "features" than DVI does.

----------------------------------------------

in my experience, i originally bought the Xbox HD DVD drive, attached to my computer so i could watch movies on my HDTV. at the time i thought "wow! awesome quality"

when wal-mart had that $100 HD DVD player sale, i jumped on it. when i hooked that up directly to the tv, the difference in PQ was night and day. My best guess is that since my tv only has a VGA input, the signal was being changed from digital to analog and, thus, losing quality.

others have suggested buying a video card w/ HDMI. this would definitely solve the problem i had.

honestly though, if you have to buy the BD-ROM drive and a new video card w/ HDMI... i'd vote that you just buy a standalone player.

The above post contains a lack of truths.

Graphics cards are very much available with true HDMI out for far FAR less. For example the HD2400 and all later ATi graphics cards (HD2/3/4 generation) are capable of it. A decent board for $75 with HDMI out capability. Also, DVI-D and HDMI video signals are the same. HDMI just carries a sound signal in addition.

nice, i never knew one could be found so cheap. just might get that for my media center.

edit:

but my post still would serve in the best interest of the OP. if he has to purchase the drive and proper video card, he might as well purchase a standalone bd player.

Edited by Matt