• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WinXP Turn Off

FarCry    0

When I Turn Off WinXP it restarts.

Any ideas?

dilmonen    0

That's more of an issue with ACPI on your system. If you gave more info about your computer better help could be given.

Just a few words of advice from an ex-MS employee. When you have a problem like that, post your hardware info with your problem description.

Peace

RossDundas    11

tip:

ACPI causes more problems than any other single hardware achitecture standard i have ever encountered. Particularly under 2k/XP since the way your comp handles IRQs with ACPI enabled. ie sharing a single IRQ with several devices. Although i am by no means saying that this scenario will cause problems 100% of the time it can in the vast majority of cases cause a great deal of greif (and even hairloss ;-) ).

The moral of the story is that when you are installing XP hit F5 and select "standard PC" when asked for the computer type. That way you get a stable machine and you don't lose the ability to utilise APM (advanced power management) features such as being able to turn off the computer through the software rather than having to hit the switch in front of the case or if your comp is like mine pull the plug!

You can switch to standard PC mode by changing the computer type in dev manager after setting a box up as ACPI but note to the best of my knowledge it is impossible to regain APM support in this scenario without reinstalling windows.

FarCry    0

Okay, Thanks guys, I'll remember to post all the info on my hardware.

I'm reinstalling the new 2542.

irresponsibleki    0
Originally posted by FarCry  

Okay, Thanks guys, I'll remember to post all the info on my hardware.

I'm reinstalling the new 2542.

right, like you have it. With a key that works. Let us know, lol

ab1225    0

Personally, in Windows XP ACPI is better, it at least spreads the devices across multiple IRQs, in Windows 2000 Pro, they were all on IRQ 9, however I did not have any problems then either.

:cool: