• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

'Body Of Christ' Snatched From Church, Held Hostage By UCF Student

Angelic Marge    30
According to Catholics and many Anglicans, these wafers become the Body of Christ after being blessed. They cease to be a 'wafer' at that point.

Now that is madness :blink:

C++    0

Jesus Christ!

zhangm    1,338
Because "that stuff" is relevant to over a billion people.

Just because many people believe in something doesn't mean that it isn't a silly idea.

I'm not placing myself above anyone. I figured since everyone here is make their opinions know, I might as well too.

You expressed your opinion that atheists are the worst type of fanatic, thus by implication, you as a non-atheist are elevated above.

But I suppose it's wrong because I am a person of faith, and have faith in a religion is absolutely wrong and ruins the world, so I'm not entitled to opinions. :)

You're allowed to express your opinion. In fact, you did, so quit pretending that you're somehow being victimized whenever someone challenges it.

xendrome    5,580
Cook claims he planned to consume it, but first wanted to show it to a fellow student senator he brought to Mass who was curious about the Catholic faith.

"When I received the Eucharist, my intention was to bring it back to my seat to show him," Cook said. "I took about three steps from the woman distributing the Eucharist and someone grabbed the inside of my elbow and blocked the path in front of me. At that point I put it in my mouth so they'd leave me alone and I went back to my seat and I removed it from my mouth."

A church leader was watching, confronted Cook and tried to recover the sacred bread. Cook said she crossed the line and that's why he brought it home with him.

The story I also heard from 2 other local news sources was the same, he brought someone along with him to mass, who had no idea about the catholic religion, and he was taking it back to that person to explain/show them what is done and/or what it is.

Now he is receiving death threats etc over all of this, goes to show you how psycho religion can be, I am not saying everyone is... but there are radicals out there, hence some of the middle eastern radicals also....

But meh..

utdarkviper    0

Actually his intentions were to protest the link between our school and the church. He was saying that the school is owned by the state and therefore we are "ignoring" the constitution for letting the university give money to this church.

My opinion is that you should not consider it a religious church, but rather a group of students who attend UCF and would like funding for their group's activities. I see nothing wrong with what they were doing. I am not a very religious person, but I definitely believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and should not be bothered in doing so. He was saying it was illegal for UCF to give any type of money to this church group. "I also oppose the groups NORML and the Chocolate Club, but they aren't doing anything illegal." Let them do what they want Webster lol relax and try to be more respectful to people in the future, regardless of their beliefs.

Numpad    0

so he's not allowed to take care of the "body of jesus" by carefully keeping it in a sealed plastic bag...

instead he's meant to swallow it then crap it into the toilet 8hours later and flush?

to be honest i dont blame him... i wouldnt want a part of jesus in my mouth either :o

brayan27    0

does that mean he excretes holy sh*t?

mrchetsteadman    476
This is madness.

this-is-sparta-7.jpg

I had to, couldn't help it...

Titoist    224

I went to a Catholic highschool and for communion, you can chose to cross your hands if u dont want to recieve the eucharist, but this teacher once threatened to fail a student if he didnt take the eucharist. He went up, crossed his hands, the teacher ran up, took the eucharist and forced it on him to the point where it fell onto the ground. It was a huge mess after, im not sure what happened to the kid, but nobody heard from him since.

fix-this!    76
So either its a wafer, or its cannibalism.

my god man, i take it your not religious ? im catholic and we eat one of those every x-mas eve after prayer before dinner.

Eis    0

I have nothing against any religion, because most religions, at the heart, teach people how to act around other people. That's the whole damn point. So many people get lost in the idea that it means more to believe in a deity than it does to live as a good person and use common sense and kindness as their only laws.

That said, the fact he got threats from members and followers of the church just disappoints me to no end. Once again it's proven that there's a good amount of people that have no idea why they even go to church, or believe in what they do, but they see others doing it and assume they have to as well. Seriously, why attend church if you just completely ignore their rules when someone does something like this?

I'm not saying the kid was right with what he did. I'm in no position at all to decide that, but to handle it the way the people who emailed him and the lady that pretty much attacked him for this piece of BREAD, is downright ridiculous. If they truly understood their religion, and what their "body of christ" represented, they would know that the obvious solution is to accept what this child has done, and pray that at some point in his life, he realizes how he offended them and comes back to apologize on his own. Don't react to this type of thing with rage, frustration, and the opposite of what you teach. Common ****ing sense.

primexx    372
I have nothing against any religion, because most religions, at the heart, teach people how to act around other people. That's the whole damn point. So many people get lost in the idea that it means more to believe in a deity than it does to live as a good person and use common sense and kindness as their only laws.

I take it you've never heard of the torah, the bible, or the koran?

EDIT: I take that back, just noticed you never said they were supposed to teach people how to act properly.

Budious    0
I take it you've never heard of the torah, the bible, or the koran?

I think anyone can read it and interpret for themselves. It's when you are being fed excerpts from a congregational setting in which the person delivering their interpretation of the excerpt that ideals and context get twisted into closed mindedness.

utdarkviper    0

That said, the fact he got threats from members and followers of the church just disappoints me to no end. Once again it's proven that there's a good amount of people that have no idea why they even go to church, or believe in what they do, but they see others doing it and assume they have to as well. Seriously, why attend church if you just completely ignore their rules when someone does something like this?

I'm not saying the kid was right with what he did. I'm in no position at all to decide that, but to handle it the way the people who emailed him and the lady that pretty much attacked him for this piece of BREAD, is downright ridiculous. If they truly understood their religion, and what their "body of christ" represented, they would know that the obvious solution is to accept what this child has done, and pray that at some point in his life, he realizes how he offended them and comes back to apologize on his own. Don't react to this type of thing with rage, frustration, and the opposite of what you teach. Common ****ing sense.

Well put. I also think that a large purpose of religion is to feel safe and protected... to feel like no matter what you will be loved. They certainly weren't showing this same love to him, regardless of mistakes he could make. He didn't intend to hurt anyone's feelings, just to make a point. He actually returned it because people were asking him to because it hurt them. At least he did that part right, but that is the only good thing that came out of this... he learned to think how his actions can effect others before he acts.