Neowin Bi-weekly Photography Assignment 1: Light

Aperture

Neowin Bi-weekly Photography Assignment 1: Light

8th - 22nd July

2650626590_df73e6774e_o.jpg

Welcome to the first in a series of Neowin Bi-weekly Photography Assignments. These assignments are in place to allow Neowin users to explore their own creativity with a set brief given every 2 weeks.

The themes will range in style. To start with, we have given you a theme that allows you to explore Light. Light is one of the largest and most influential aspects of photography, and harnessing it allows for the photographer to completely alter the mood, setting and overall aesthetic of their images.

These assignments will be loosely moderated. The rules are being set to allow for a fair and balanced array of entries.

As this is the first, future assignments may see a few rule changes, only to make the experience more fun and challenging!

There will be no prizes. If the popularity of the assignment increases, there may be prints for first prizes, but as I say, only if the demand allows for the logistics.

Any questions comments or queries should be PM'd to me, I'll compile an FAQ of the more common ones.

Votes

• Votes should be PM'd to me, with the member title of the person in the subject title.
  • 1 Vote per Member
  • Anyone can vote - non-participants too

Rules

1. Submissions should be that of the member of Neowin, plagiarism will not be tolerated, and any indication of the image being copied will result in disqualification from all future Assignments. This idea is based around fun and we don’t want people spoiling that.
  2. Thread images shouldn't exceed 800px in width. 2mb in file size.
  3. You should submit your image in each of the monthly threads.
  4. One submission per person, per assignment.
  5. You should have the original image, processed. This is a rule for your benefit. If we decide to allow prints as prizes, you’ll want the best quality print possible.

Results

• Results will be posted on the new assignments thread.
  • There will be 3 winners. 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
  • No pictures can be posted after 22nd July 11.59:59am !

Deadline: 22nd July

Edited by mac
Prince Charming

This is a really good idea mac, I'm all for it. I can't wait to see what people produce :)

crazzy88ss

So you said a few places "monthly" and "biweekly." Going by t he July 22nd, I'm assuming it is indeed biweekly?

Also, how do we vote? Does voting begin on the 23rd?

Do pictures have to be taken between now and july 22nd?

Aperture
So you said a few places "monthly" and "biweekly." Going by t he July 22nd, I'm assuming it is indeed biweekly?

Also, how do we vote? Does voting begin on the 23rd?

Do pictures have to be taken between now and july 22nd?

If you'd have read the initial thread entirely, you'd know to ask those questions in PM, you'd also know that you vote by sending me a PM with the person you'd like to wins name in the subject title.

Pictures will be taking between now and the 22nd, and the deadline for submissions within this thread is 22nd, from then to the next topic, the votes will be added up and revealed when the new assignment begins. I'll make this clearer in the original post.

crazzy88ss

i read the whole thing and missed it... no need to get sarcastic.

Aperture
i read the whole thing and missed it... no need to get sarcastic.

Not getting sarcastic! Not to worry, information re-arranged and added to make it easier to find and understand!

Get shooting, sir!

Simon

I've gotta say, this looks like an awesome idea. Might get involved myself.

Nicholas-c

Im up for it... *sits back and thinks of ideas*

sanctified

This idea already was tried and failed in the past :/

Aperture
This idea already was tried and failed in the past :/

Oh well, if you'd like to participate it might help for a more successful round 2, it'd be appreciated.

Jordan Green

I'm definately gunna give it a whirl!

goodcase

sunrisere.jpg

This was taken about quarter after six in the morning. I was down at the marina taking some pictures and was amazed by the size of the rising sun.

Aperture

Goodcase: Was that image taken as a direct result of this assignment? Or one you've taken previously?

If the former, awesome! Really nice work on the composition.

If the latter, this is about taking pictures as per the assignment brief! Take it with the assignment in mind :D Don't reuse old workkkk!

Sethos

I call it, "Bloom"

Unavngivet.png

... ( :ninja: )

Sophism
I call it, "Bloom"

Unavngivet.png

Amazing work sir!! You get my vote ;)

Kerm

Sethos ftw.

Nice idea though mac, chill out a little though, people are bound to ask questions in this thread.

callummr
I call it, "Bloom"

Unavngivet.png

The attention to detail and the way you've lit the subject is amazing :D

EDIT: My one quarrel would be the resolution, it's hard to see the more of the finer details. Do you have the original file?

Edited by Callum M-R
Roadrunna
I call it, "Bloom"

... ( )

The attention to detail and the way you've lit the subject is amazing :D

EDIT: My one quarrel would be the resolution, it's hard to see the more of the finer details. Do you have the original file?

Slightly overexposed is what I was thinking.

Prince Charming

Yeah, really funny and all, but you know, would be nice if people took this a little bit more seriously.

Aperture
Yeah, really funny and all, but you know, would be nice if people took this a little bit more seriously.

It's to be expected. Hopefully once all the jokers have it out of their system, and those who're willing to actively contribute to the thread will spark a little less hostility and more play!

Anywho, I got my portfolio prints today from the company I'll be using for future prizes. I'll be posting pictures of the prints shortly. They're fantastic quality.

sundayx

I'd love to contribute, helps me work better with my camera as well!

moloko

Should we label it as part of the contest since it goes into the Neowin monthly thread?

Is tasteful (subjective) nudity allowed for this contest even though it not for the main photo thread?

I do hope this is taken seriously and several people contribute. Neowin needs a more active photo-group. Many people submit to the monthy thread but thread like this help people evolve and learn from others.

Merter

2566107896_9a74613155_b.jpg

Took it about a month ago