How common are dead pixels on LCDs?

DaDude

I've never owned an LCD before. So, as I was reading reviews trying to find a good LCD HDTV, I read that some LCDs suffer from dead pixels. So I was wondering, how common are dead pixels on LCDs? Does it happen a lot or does it only happen rarely?

+jamesyfx

They are very common - but most manufacturers won't class a few dead pixels as grounds for a replacement. So they're not that noticeable.

Especially on a large panel.

bloodrain

i've owned 6 LCD's and none of which had a dead pixel. I do hear they are fairly common (or maybe since you only hear about complaints it seems like it happens alot more than it really does).

DaDude
They are very common - but most manufacturers won't class a few dead pixels as grounds for a replacement. So they're not that noticeable.

Wow! They're common and can't be exchange. That's rediculous. Why did they have to make CRTs obsolete?!! They never had that problem.

jerzdawg

Just be mindful of the brand and quality of tv you are buying... if you go out and get the cheapest one you can find... i am sure its more common... if you do your research first, read reviews your chances are slimmer.... I just purchased a samsung lcd and out of 125 reviews i do not think there was one mention of a dead pixel.... so just read up first.

DaDude
Just be mindful of the brand and quality of tv you are buying... if you go out and get the cheapest one you can find... i am sure its more common... if you do your research first, read reviews your chances are slimmer.... I just purchased a samsung lcd and out of 125 reviews i do not think there was one mention of a dead pixel.... so just read up first.

I might get a Samsung. I heard they make magnificent LCDs, so hopefully they don't have that problem.

IceBreakerG

I've only had a few LCD devices. I've had 3 Sony PSPs. My first one had no dead pixels at all. The 2nd one had a ton of dead pixels, and my current one only has a few, but you tend to ignore them after awhile, however, they're still noticeable. I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 Laptop with the WUXGA panel, and it doesn't have any dead pixels. I also have a 37" Westinghouse LVM-37w3 1080p LCD TV Monitor (doesn't have a tuner in it), that I use as my main PC monitor and display for my Xbox 360. That too has no dead pixels that I've noticed/seen.

So, the quality of the panels have a lot to do with it. Don't always buy the cheapest thing you can find, but also don't go out and buy the most expensive one either, because more expensive doesn't always mean better. Also, if you're looking for a specific TV, check out avsforum.com and read up over there. You'll find more info than you want to know about almost any tv.

cacoe

I've had 4 LCD panels in my life, none with a single dead pixel....

markwolfe
I've had 4 LCD panels in my life, none with a single dead pixel....

1 for 3 in this house.

Only the largest (1680x1050) had a stuck pixel (the bright green one :pinch:). The other two lower resolution ones are just fine.

(if you add in the recently-purchased Dell laptop for the wife, it is 1 for 4, as that has no pixel issues)

When you buy an LCD, you run the risk. Sometimes, rubbing tricks are supposed to clear up a dead pixel. Didn't work for me, but others report success.

PNWDweller
I might get a Samsung. I heard they make magnificent LCDs, so hopefully they don't have that problem.

I use Three Samsungs at work, First one has 4 dead pixels Second one has 5 dead pixels and Third one is a wide screen, Zero dead pixels. It is not noticeable for daily work related stuff online, but if I was using it for gaming or photo editing, it would present a problem.

I am not knocking the brand, because they use all Samsungs there and I think I must have gotten the bad batch out of the whole lot. So, it is not like it doesn't happen but it will. I think that Samsung has a 7 pixel policy if I am correct before it is replaced. Check with your manufacturer's policy on dead pixels to find out what the replacement policy is before you buy.

At home, aside from the iMac which has no dead pixels. :), I have a cheapo Balance Technology from Wal Mart 17" LCD which has zero so sometimes you do get lucky in buying cheap units.

+StevoFC

I wouldn't consider them common at all anymore. And most of what people see aren't dead anyways. They are just stuck.

I have had 6 laptops, 7 LCD Monitors, and 3 LCD televisions. and not once has any of them had even 1 dead pixel. The only thing I ever got with a dead pixel was my Nintendo DS Lite. And they replaced that with absolutely no problem.

IceBreakerG

That reminds me. I think I did have a stuck pixel on my dell laptop. But rubbing the LCD got it unstuck. It should work for stuck pixels, but it doesn't usually work on dead pixels (there is a difference).

DaDude
That reminds me. I think I did have a stuck pixel on my dell laptop. But rubbing the LCD got it unstuck. It should work for stuck pixels, but it doesn't usually work on dead pixels (there is a difference).

I never owned an LCD, so hearing this problem is very scary to me. What's funny though is that we use LCD monitors at work and I never come across one that had a dead pixel. Either that or I just never noticed them. And this is just great too. I just ordered a new Dell computer last week that comes with a 19" LCD monitor. From the tracking info I got, I'll be receiving it tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that all pixels will be ok, but from the way it sounds, it looks like there's a good chance I'll have a dead pixel. Boy! No wonder why LCDs are expensive. They're probably a lot harder to make and more issues arise from them.

I use Three Samsungs at work, First one has 4 dead pixels Second one has 5 dead pixels and Third one is a wide screen, Zero dead pixels. It is not noticeable for daily work related stuff online, but if I was using it for gaming or photo editing, it would present a problem.

Oh wow! Now I'm terrified of getting an LCD HDTV. Perhaps I should wait until they eventually resolve this issue or maybe wait for a new technology that'll replace LCDs and will have less problems.

Rudy

i've had over 10 lcds and only one had a pink stuck pixel (returned it)

slythfox
Wow! They're common and can't be exchange. That's rediculous. Why did they have to make CRTs obsolete?!! They never had that problem.
They can be exchanged. Newegg, for example, only exchanges them if there are 3+ dead pixels, I believe.

But local stores are most flexible. I returned a PSP because it had three dead pixels with no problem, and they didn't even check. The clerk shrugged it off like it was normal. My personal advice: buy locally, or buy used so that you can make sure it doesn't have dead pixels.

IceBreakerG

No reason to be scared of getting one. The processes have gotten better over the years. I got my laptop about 2 1/2yrs ago. I've had my PSP for 2yrs. So that's 2yrs worth of manufacturing improvements you have to look forward to. I think the deal with my laptop was just a fluke, it got stuck while I was actually using it. Hasn't happened again since then. However, there were some issues with the PSP lcd screens when they first came out (i have a fat psp). My westinghouse hasn't had any issues with the pixels though.

Harreh

Had a stuck (red) pixel shortly after receiving my HP machine (in 2000?, very old machine..) and my LG LCD Got a stuck or dead pixel 4 years after purchase (Then the backlight died.)

I found that the stuck pixel (since it was black) was hardly noticeable at all.

I'm pretty sure that it's less common on very modern models though.

The2

Very rare. I've changed quite a few monitors and laptops - and only one has 1 stuck pixel - my toshiba not-so-cheap laptop!

Sarm

As it's already been mentioned, it's all about which brand you buy, and WHO you buy it from.

If you get a cheapo brand, expect it.

Personally, I've bought two 32" Samsung LCD HDTV's which are perfect, and mine came with a dead pixel warranty because of the retailer I bought them from, but I understand many street retailers don't offer that.

I've also bought a lot of Dell stuff, my XPS laptop and 24" LCD both came with a 4-year dead pixel warranty - any sign of dead pixels means I get it replaced NEXT DAY.

Impact

I have had 2 LCD monitors total. One 17" widescreen and one 20.1" widescreen. I had absolutely no stuck or dead pixels on the 17". I had one stuck pixel on the 20.1" (stuck red), that I wasn't able to fix, but I got used to it. My new 22" widescreen is arriving tomorrow and I'm hoping it doesn't have any stuck or dead pixels! I doubt it will though.

Pink Floyd

my sony has only 1 from what I noticed

Nicholas-c

i went 3 years with a dead pixel, you just ignore it and live with it

BahamutDuo

Dead pixels are not that common. Having worked in retail selling the panels for 20 months, I didn't see that many come back for dead pixels. Most of the time if the person buying it wants to find dead pixels, they usually will. 99% of panels don't have dead pixels, but stuck ones, which can be resuscitated either with the finger trick or with an app like DPT. As long as you are getting a good quality panel, such as a Samsung, LG or Viewsonic, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, some in-store warranty plans will cover dead pixels, just be sure to ask about it before shelling out extra cash for a plan like that. If it does cover dead pixels, and the turn around is a week or less, then go for it, otherwise save your cash.

DaDude

Received my computer today and the LCD is beautiful. No dead pixels. Either I'm just lucky or they're really not that common. This is the first LCD I've ever owned. Now I see why people are crazy about them. If an LCD monitor looks this good, I can only imagine how great a LCD HDTV will look. I even played DVDs on the computer and it looks absolutely stunning on the monitor. Now remember that first thread I started, "What's so great about HDTV?" Well, now I know. Gorgeous picture and A LOT less strain on the eyes. Definitely worth it.