iPhone 2.0 Firmware

A lot of the free ones are practically the same as the decent apps from a Jailbroken iPod.

... Just update already! Theres no need to Jailbreak anymore.

My iTunes still says my 1.1.4 is the latest!

The firmware isn't avilable via iTunes as of yet. Use the link provided in the opening post.

25% of the App library is free acordding to Jobs.

Man, I'm itching to get home :drool:

Roughly 7 pages worth of Free Applications. :)

Roughly 7 pages worth of Free Applications. :)

And people say Apple charge too much for their products.... BAH, thats what I say to them :D

I figure it'll use the same file just not run the Phone side of things.. After all the iPhone 1 and 2 use the same firmware

I'm pretty sure this one is different.

Is the App store not working yet? I can't buy anything. It goes through the process but then tells me

"[Application Name]" could not be purchased at this time.  Please try again later.

Is it because the app store is getting hammered, not opened, or is it my settings?

I'm pretty sure this one is different.

A few people at iPod Touch Fans tried installing the iPhone version on their Touches, ended up restoring back to 1.1.4.

So yeah, it's different. Hopefully not long until the iPod version's out, perhaps they're taking longer to organise paying for it, as iPod users have to. $10 or something.

I figure it'll use the same file just not run the Phone side of things.. After all the iPhone 1 and 2 use the same firmware

You have no idea what your talking about !

iTouch and iPhone use different firmware!

Why dont you get ur iPhone and install iTouch firmware on it and get back to me and tell me what happens!!

lets see if the warranty covers stupid people!

Secondly your comment about the apps store is also stupid!

People who dont use the selected network provider need to jail break and activate there phones and use installer or cydia to install all tweaks. Does apps store offer this??? hmm nope!

I rest my case! thankyou for listening, peace and love

Is the App store not working yet? I can't buy anything. It goes through the process but then tells me
"[Application Name]" could not be purchased at this time.  Please try again later.

Is it because the app store is getting hammered, not opened, or is it my settings?

The site is working, just very slow right now due to initial load balancing. It should speed up around 5/6pm Apple Time tonight once the servers are accustomed to the load.

Why dont you get ur iPhone and install iTouch firmware on it and get back to me and tell me what happens!!

People who dont use the selected network provider need to jail break and activate there phones and use installer or cydia to install all tweaks. Does apps store offer this??? hmm nope!

Where you might have some decent content in there somewhere, you might try being a little bit nicer and more clear in delivering it.

For someone with a 'peace and love' signature line, you have a lot of hostility and aggression in that post.

Course there is, you can get apps free instead of having to pay $9.99 for them!

Please, stop telling lie. Apple charged for the 'premium' version of the 1.1.x upgrade which included added software with it. The standard update was free of charge, and so will this one.

As for using Jail Break, there are things that apparently been banned from use on the iPhone; these include VoIP applications which take advantage of the flat rate internet/data plans and avoid using the voice service, flash and Java are also banned from it as well since they allow running applications inside them.

As for me, I think the hype is over the top - this is coming from a Vodafone 226 mobile phone user :p

Please, stop telling lie. Apple charged for the 'premium' version of the 1.1.x upgrade which included added software with it. The standard update was free of charge, and so will this one.

As for using Jail Break, there are things that apparently been banned from use on the iPhone; these include VoIP applications which take advantage of the flat rate internet/data plans and avoid using the voice service, flash and Java are also banned from it as well since they allow running applications inside them.

As for me, I think the hype is over the top - this is coming from a Vodafone 226 mobile phone user :p

I think he was talking about applications from the Apps store and not firmware update mate!!

Your information is a bit flawed.

iPod Touch users WILL have to pay for the 2.0 upgrade, iPhone1, iPhone2, and iPhone3 (Ships with this version) users will not. AppStore Applications have the same cost, be it free or non-free, no matter what device you connect with.

Flash and Java are not banned from the AppStore, they are on hold until the company who owns the IP rights to those products produces their official versions before opening them up for 3rd Party Applications. Which would you rather have, a Flash plugin from Adobe that works or a Dozen 3rd Party plugins that ALMOST work?

No real reason to use Jailbreaking now that the AppStore is here

Not quite true. Main reason - nothing is "free" in the whole world and in Apple particularly. The catch - only "checked and approved and signed by Apple" apps will be available on Apple Store. Even as "free".

I'm sorry, you appear to be a very confused individual. This thread is for people who are not Jailbreaking their iPhone/iPod Touch. We're stating opinions, and my honest opinion was that the iPhone and the iPod Touch use the same firmware, most Apple Products run the same OS just the feature/driver set is different, if I was wrong then I dont need you shoving abuse down my throat. My Warning Level is 100% so I cant say what I think about your post but I can damned well say you've made a fool of yourself.

That aside, i'm going out now to test out the "Phone" and see if any new features have been added or any UI changes have been made.

thats reason why jailbreaking is still warranted as a viable option is some developers don't wish to have their applications and what they make be dictated as to what people can and cant be used or moderated before being offered, yeah there's questionable approach to this but bottom line is over protective vs freedom of choice and knowledge. the simple option of course is take this apple app store approach, just for some that doesn't quite cut it which isn't everybody just a minority like for example does app store offer any application that gives you options of summerboard/customize, bosstools, bossprefs i can't say i've seen it so yeah and i'm sure it's system apps like that etc which are probably on the not allowed lists just assuming so there is still reason for it....

Come on guys, lets keep this thread polite, pleasant, and clean. Don't need to give the Mods anymore work to do than they already have.

Everyone that has the 2.0 Firmware, check out the Lightsabre App...it's free and fun. ;)

I'll give that app a shot. I saw it, it looked like a gimmick, but it's free.

One question, though...I've tried downloading the applications through iTunes and syncing them to my iphone. It's not working. The App Store in my iphone works fine, though. Any thoughts?

I downloaded the apps in iTunes, verified that they're there, went to the Applications tab in the iphone section of iTunes, and chose to sync all. But I get nothing on the iPhone.

I'll give that app a shot. I saw it, it looked like a gimmick, but it's free.

One question, though...I've tried downloading the applications through iTunes and syncing them to my iphone. It's not working. The App Store in my iphone works fine, though. Any thoughts?

I downloaded the apps in iTunes, verified that they're there, went to the Applications tab in the iphone section of iTunes, and chose to sync all. But I get nothing on the iPhone.

Make sure your authorized to transfer the file. :) You may need to deauthorized and reauthorize your Mac.

If i donwload super monkey ball today on First Gen iPhone then get the 3G iPhone tomorrow can i just transfer Super Monkey Ball to it or will i have to redownload it?

If i donwload super monkey ball today on First Gen iPhone then get the 3G iPhone tomorrow can i just transfer Super Monkey Ball to it or will i have to redownload it?

I was wondering that too....