[E3] 80GB PS3 will be $399 in Sept.

At their E3 press conference today, Sony announced that, starting in September, the 80GB PS3 would be available for $399.99, down from the $499 Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle currently in place for the 80GB configuration. The newly priced 80GB system will have the functionality of "the current functionality of the 40GB PS3," according to Sony CEO Jack Tretton. We're not sure if this means the cheaper 80GB system will be losing functionality (like SD card readers and software PS2 emulation) that the 40GB system doesn't have, but we'll let you know as soon as we get this clarified.
Joystiq
At Sony's E3 2008 press conference, Jack Tretton announced a 80 GB PS3 "Core Pack" that'll go for $400 ? "the same functionality of the 40 GB... with twice the storage," he said.

"This new 80 GB PS3 is perfectly suited for HD games, music, movies and more." Full release below...

Kotaku
So Sony have announced yet another PS3 model. The 80GB "Core" console. And while it seems a ludicrous thing to do, given the negative reaction to their previous multi-SKU strategy, in this case it makes sense. Because it appears that this will be the one, thonly i>PS3. By entering at 80GB, it confirms any lingering doubts that thexisting i>80GB model - the one with backwards compatibility (which this console, with all the "features and functionality of the 40GB model", doesn't appear to feature) - is on its last legs. Also, by entering the market at $399, failing to announce a price cut for the existing model (which, remember, Sony aren't keen on) and calling the 40GB its "predecessor" in the press release, it's obviously the smaller units replacement. So after all the confusion, all the whining, all the complaints, by September (when this model is due to hit the market) it looks like consumers will have only one PS3 model to "choose" from. For now, anyways.
Kotaku
Starting in September 2008, the newly announced PLAYSTATION?3 (PS3?) 80GB model will become the mainstay of the company's hardware line-up. The 80GB model will retail for $399, and will offer all of the features and functionality of the 40GB model with double the storage to accommodate more movies, graphics, music, photos and other entertainment content ? all for the same price. As with its predecessor, the new 80GB model will be a complete entertainment system comprising of a Blu-ray? player, HDMI output, an integrated Wi-Fi connection, Cell Broadband Engine? and a built-in 80GB hard-disk drive. The multi-functionality of the 80GB PS3, combined with more than 140 exclusive and third-party titles and the PLAYSTATION?Network, is a comprehensive entertainment value designed to appeal to a wide range of consumers from hard-core gamers to general entertainment enthusiasts.
Edited by Corris

I love how he's like "consumers have gravitated to the 80 GB model."

No kidding. It's the version left on the market that's not gimped. It's not about the amount of HDD space.

I love how he's like "consumers have gravitated to the 80 GB model."

No kidding. It's the version left on the market that's not gimped. It's not about the amount of HDD space.

The worst thing is, I swear he said it would be the same as the 40Gb model but with an 80Gb harddrive during the conference.

So it is essentially taking away what people loved about the 80Gb.

im just hoping that the price for the ps3 will come down in the uk, 60gb version ?300 ($600) is stupid especially if theres gona be a ?200($399) 80gb in the US. I really hate how they always seem to screw us over

Why not just put the 40gb model for $299, and drop the price of the CURRENT 80gb to $459?

Because the current 80GB is different...it still has PS2 hardware in it for backwards compatibility. The new 80GB will be the same as the current 40GB (except the bigger HDD obviously)... i.e. no BC

the size of the included HDD is pretty much irrelevant anyways because people who need a larger one just replace it themselves. I wish they would have one with a small HDD though for $299 because I planned on buying a second one primarily for Blu-Ray on another television.

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a 40gb on sale now somewhere.