• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Who Makes The Best DSLR?

Who makes the best DSLR?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tech Star    254

I am in the market to buy a DSLR and I have been looking at Sony's and I love them, but I am a beginner in this area and I was wondering what are the best ones?

teriba    2

It's not just about the body, you have to consider the entire system (lenses, flashes, remotes, etc). For this reason I would only consider Canon or Nikon since there is tons of gear available for them and lots in the used market as well.

Personally I consider Canon to be better than Nikon as well.

Kerm    51

Tough question for someone other than yourself to answer.

I prefer Canon's personally, at work we use D2x's which are pretty good workhorses, i'd rather have a 1Ds though. But further down the line the 40D and D300 are pretty evenly matched.

I own a 30d and a 350D, love them both.

Brandon    299

The newer Nikons dont allow you to use the majority of Nikon's lenses with Auto Focus as they lack an internal Focus motor (D40, D40x, D60) whereas canon can autofocus on any EF or EF-S lens.

Also, you can't beat the bundled photo software with the Canon

sanctified    1,225

Another vote for Canon here.

CrimsonBlur    0

If you are a beginner, I highly recommend the Nikon D40.

6MP is fine for anything but the largest prints (we're talking beyond the size that any consumer would print a picture in the first place). Point-and-shoots have to make up for their tiny, crappy CCDs, but a DSLR has a sensor many times larger.

The camera body build quality of the D40 and D60 are much better than the Canon consumer DSLRs and much more comfortable to hold. The Nikons also have better low-light performance, which is great for beginners and just shooting in general because many times you will be indoors and not using a flash with no tri-pod.

But above all these factors is that the D40 is a fantastic camera on its own, and it is the cheapest option. I would definitely not buy a DSLR that was not a Canon or Nikon. Sony is starting to get serious about their camera division, but they're still not up to par with Nikon and Canon.

Prince Charming    163

I'd vote Canon. In terms of bodies, Nikon are probably doing slightly better at the moment with the FX sensor in the D3 and D700 being epic at high-iso. I do think Canon in terms of a DSLR system win out though, in terms of lenses, flashes, accessories and so on. And really its boils down to the glass more than the body, so I'm inclined to say Canon. Sony/Olympus have some good stuff, but imo lack the range and established selection of lenses/accessories that Canon/Nikon to.

And if you want REALLY good glass, you probably have to go German anyway. Lecia and Carl Zeiss should make EF mount stuff!

Draconian Guppy    13,038

nikon, But I do agree leica and carl Zeiss should make teh glass

o0moonman0o    54

its all personal preference and wat u are gonna shoot.

crazzy88ss    66

What price range?

High end: I think Nikon.

Low end: I think Canon.

But I think the difference between Canon and Nikons is "do you want to settle for a 9.3 when you could have a 9.6?" They're really close, at least to me.

giga    46

You can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon. Wide support and flexibility in choices of lens and accessories.

Sony's a late comer to the game--not a big fan of them. Their DSLRs use a proprietary hotshoe instead of the standard iso one used by Nikon/Canon.

Matrix XII    38

My vote goes to Canon.

Nikon runner up :)

TokyoKiller    16

I'd say go for the Canon Rebel XTI or XSI. They are both amazingly great cameras, and also Canon just released the Rebel XS, coming soon.

Draconian Guppy    13,038
But I think the difference between Canon and Nikons is "do you want to settle for a 9.3 when you could have a 9.6?" They're really close, at least to me.

Couldn't have said it better :)

+jamesyfx    362

I'm after a DSLR as well - probably something low-mid range.

My friend has a Olympus E-3, and it looks incredible. But it's far too expensive/hi-tech for what I need.

Premgenius    28

For me its Canon and then Nikon.

bloodrain    7

All of you are WRONG, Canon and Nikon dont have a thing on Hasselblad systems. Sorry, both companies just got owned.

Brandon    299
The Nikons also have better low-light performance, which is great for beginners and just shooting in general because many times you will be indoors and not using a flash with no tri-pod.

Incorrect. The Nikon D40/D40x D80 and D60 all use a CCD sensor which has a lot more noise at higher ISOs than the CMOS sensors that the Canon's all use (and the D300/D3)

Sir Topham Hatt    350

Whatever you get, you will be happy.

I got a Nikon after owning a Canon G7 because I wanted something completely new.

I like the thoguht of Nikon :)

o0moonman0o    54
All of you are WRONG, Canon and Nikon dont have a thing on Hasselblad systems. Sorry, both companies just got owned.

actually hasselblad don't qualify in this vote cuz its products have nothing to do with the dslr brands listed here. can't compare them to medium format. try shooting sports with a hassy.

bloodrain    7
actually hasselblad don't qualify in this vote cuz its products have nothing to do with the dslr brands listed here. can't compare them to medium format. try shooting sports with a hassy.

he never gave specifics :-) all it says is Nikon, Canon, Sony, Other. This is 'other'

giga    46
he never gave specifics :-) all it says is Nikon, Canon, Sony, Other. This is 'other'

Read the title of the thread.

bloodrain    7
Read the title of the thread.

the hassy is a dslr.

giga    46
the hassy is a dslr.

Not all hassys are dslrs. (they make just backs too) Defining "best" in image quality, you'd be right for the H3D (or a Phase One, Mamiya)--but otherwise it's far from flexible in most situations. That's why there is a large market for the 1Ds.