[E3] MGS4 on 360 ‘impossible’, says Sony

E3 08: MGS4 on 360 ‘impossible’, says Sony

CEO of SCEA Jack Tretton talks up PS3’s power as he shoots down this week’s big rumour

Following fervent speculation that Metal Gear Solid 4 would follow Final Fantasy in becoming a PlayStation-associated brand that moves onto Xbox 360, SCEA CEO Jack Tretton has argued no other console could handle the technical demands of Konami’s the Konami title.

Speaking to assembled press at the platform holder's conference in LA earlier today, Tretton added that the Blu-Ray capabilities of PS3 had already seen of HD-DVD – and would now see off the company’s console competition.

“PS3 offers an experience for both gamers and developers no other console can match,” he said.

“Metal Gear Solid is not only exclusive on PS3 – it’s only possible on PS3, thanks in part to Blu-Ray.“

He added: "PS3 drove the Blu-Ray format to victory and now the Blu-Ray format is poised to return the favour.”

I actually agree with the guy, the reality is the 360 would not be happy with a 33gb game, four discs isn't my idea of fun, especially if each would need installation. I know someone is gonna reply back with 'the 360 doesn't need installs', but the truth is that mgs4 NEEDS hdd access speeds, as you transfer between areas, load cutscenes etc etc.

In part to Blu-Ray? You mean ONLY because of Blu-Ray ...

I think Kojima really got to grips with the cell, getting the most out of it.

In part to Blu-Ray? You mean ONLY because of Blu-Ray ...

Who knows? Unless you actually understand how the game was programmed you are in no position to comment on it.

Who knows? Unless you actually understand how the game was programmed you are in no position to comment on it.

You don't need to be a brain surgeon to see the obvious, but let's just pretend it's also the marvellous Cell processor who was able to draw ... textures and stuff.

Kill this damn rumour and let us move on.

Ugh who really cares about MGS anymore, those that wanted it have their PS3's

I actually agree with the guy, the reality is the 360 would not be happy with a 33gb game, four discs isn't my idea of fun, especially if each would need installation. I know someone is gonna reply back with 'the 360 doesn't need installs', but the truth is that mgs4 NEEDS hdd access speeds, as you transfer between areas, load cutscenes etc etc.

I disagree entirely. The only reason why MGS4 had installs was because of the slow Blu-ray drive inside the PS3. Do you see other games installing on the system?....yes! so i really don't know what your point is.

I seems to recall Konami made this game, so he should shut the hell up. If anything Konami should be insulted by this clown for saying they can't get past disc limitations etc.

Seriously Sony are becoming a joke with these lame PR statements now. I guess it is all they can do since the surprise loss of FFXIII to counter act it.

I disagree entirely. The only reason why MGS4 had installs was because of the slow Blu-ray drive inside the PS3. Do you see other games installing on the system?....yes! so i really don't know what your point is.

I seems to recall Konami made this game, so he should shut the hell up. If anything Konami should be insulted by this clown for saying they can't get past disc limitations etc.

Seriously Sony are becoming a joke with these lame PR statements now. I guess it is all they can do since the surprise loss of FFXIII to counter act it.

my point is loading mgs4 off dvd would still be slow.

To be fair, MS was also giving out the same comments a few years back when they were the underdog. Now Sony finds itself in the unfamiliar position of being second place compare to how well the PS1 and the PS2 fared and I think it's starting to get on their nerves. I do give them credit for the updates they've released in the past few weeks as they are certainly willing to do a lot to improve the PS3 experience. That said, they still have a long way to go as they are quite a way behind from MS in terms of console sales and original ideas.

Scirwode

The 360 already has some games on multiple discs though (blue dragon, lost odyssey). Yes it would be a pain, but MGS1 was on multiple discs too, so it wouldn't be new to the series. Access speeds wouldn't be an issue either as the 360 DVD drive is much faster than the PS3's Bluray drive. If the Bluray drive in the PS3 was faster, install wouldn't have been needed.

I never got why it's such a the big deal for some people to switch a disk every 10+ hours. Sure, it's convenient to have it all on one disk, but to say it's not possible on 360 simply because you would have to switch disks every 10+ hours is simply ridiculous.

I've always felt that people that have such a huge issue with that need to get out more and look into getting a girlfriend.

I never got why it's such a the big deal for some people to switch a disk every 10+ hours. Sure, it's convenient to have it all on one disk, but to say it's not possible on 360 simply because you would have to switch disks every 10+ hours is simply ridiculous.

I've always felt that people that have such a huge issue with that need to get out more and look into getting a girlfriend.

MGS4 does a 2 minute install after each chapter, with each chapter being about 1-2 hours long if played quickly.

It is logistically possible, and the hardware would no doubt handle a port, thats not the question. The PS3 installs to the HDD so that loading speeds are faster than what a BD or even DVD could provide. The 360 would suffer lengthy loading times and/or large installs.

MGS4 does a 2 minute install after each chapter, with each chapter being about 1-2 hours long if played quickly.

And? It would still be able to do that on 360 with the recent announcement of optional installs.

And? It would still be able to do that on 360 with the recent announcement of optional installs.

So installs are fine on 360 but not PS3?

Just face it, fanboys - the PS3 is a more powerful console than the 360.

Some games like MGS4 simply won't work in it's current form on another console. Sure, they could shrink it down and stuff... but as it stands it isn't gonna work.

as long as its optional. Thats the difference.

in my opinion I think its going to get to the point where 360 installs start becoming, maybe not mandatory, but pretty much needed.

So installs are fine on 360 but not PS3?

When did I ever say they weren't fine on the PS3? That and multiple disks are about the same IMO. A slight inconvenience, but nothing to get all upset about and bitch about.

When did I ever say they weren't fine on the PS3? That and multiple disks are about the same IMO. A slight inconvenience, but nothing to get all upset about and bitch about.

I didn't mean it in such a harsh manner, I apologise. Some hypocracy has been shown over the last few days, with the same crowds bashing on about PS3 having lots of games that require installs and the 360 not needing it, then MS announcing installs and in my opinion the inevitable 'required' installs.

I didn't mean it in such a harsh manner, I apologise. Some hypocracy has been shown over the last few days, with the same crowds bashing on about PS3 having lots of games that require installs and the 360 not needing it, then MS announcing installs and in my opinion the inevitable 'required' installs.

Haha. No prob. Events like E3 tend to bring out the worst in fanboysism, and I have indeed seen other people here bitch about the installs on PS3. So I understand where you're coming from. It's just I've never personally said that and I have no problem with it. Would it be preferable not to have it? Of course!! But it's really not a big deal. It's the same thing with multiple disks IMO.

My original point still stands, however. MGS4 is more than possible on 360 and it's rediculous to say otherwise. It would just have to be on multiple disks (and I think I've made it more than clear that I have no problem with that :p).

Multiple discs isn't a problem, the only problem I have with multiple discs is the crappy paper slips the disc 2 and 3 etc get put in and ultimately scratched to hell.