[E3] MGS4 on 360 ‘impossible’, says Sony

Saying it's impossible is a ridiculous statement in itself, and not one that should ever come from any company's PR. A better statement in this case would've been, "It's not coming to the 360 because we say it's not."

Can see the headlines then:

"Sony Arrogance continues" , "Sony tell/force 3rd party Developers what to do with their games", "Sony restricts a MGS4 360 Port".

What I said earlier is true (last page). Doesn't matter what is said, the cheap tabloids will take it, make a story out of it, then it will be posted on the web for the never-ending arguments to start.

Don't make molehills out of PR like this that has existed for years, and will continue to do so. If you do, you'll be caught up in arguments that have no ending or resolution.

Can see the headlines then:

"Sony Arrogance continues" , "Sony tell/force 3rd party Developers what to do with their games", "Sony restricts a MGS4 360 Port".

What I said earlier is true (last page). Doesn't matter what is said, the cheap tabloids will take it, make a story out of it, then it will be posted on the web for the never-ending arguments to start.

Don't make molehills out of PR like this that has existed for years, and will continue to do so. If you do, you'll be caught up in arguments that have no ending or resolution.

I think saying it's impossible is more arrogant than just saying that they say it won't come. I think people would understand the latter, as MGS has always been a Playstation game.

I'm not making molehills out of anything - just stating my opinion and nothing else. You seem like you took my statements personally and I don't understand (and frankly don't care) why. I just got home, read the first post in this thread and made a reply. I guess that's not allowed.

-Spenser

I think saying it's impossible is more arrogant than just saying that they say it won't come. I think people would understand the latter, as MGS has always been a Playstation game.

I'm not making molehills out of anything - just stating my opinion and nothing else. You seem like you took my statements personally and I don't understand (and frankly don't care) why. I just got home, read the first post in this thread and made a reply.

-Spenser

That was a general comment about people taking this PR seriously enough to write a news article then discuss it seriously. I didn't take your comments personally, merely tried to show you what I would think happen if Sony had tweaked what they said to what you suggested - It's just inevitable journalists will home in on comments and turn them into molehills for site hits/arguments, whatever.

What was said by Jack was done during a Sony conference, which lasted 1.5 hours and was all about Playstation and selling/bigging it up.

For a news site to go and create a news article out of a comment in that context, is doing what I said on the last page. Making a cheap tabloid for a reaction.

There's no solution to this other than to avoid crappy articles and stop posting them here.

If Jack came out of nowhere and said this, I could understand it being reported for him to get a grilling, but in the context of it being a Sony E3 conference, it's typical PR.

Please read what I posted on page 3 to see where im coming from. You made it obvious you didnt read the thread, just the first post. ( https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...amp;p=589560720 )

Anyway I'm leaving this topic before I potentially upset anyone - That's not my intention, sorry if I have. I chipped in to say what I thought of this article and the website creating it, that's all.

Edited by Audioboxer

honestly speaking i think it should be allowed to be ported, its such a great game to be on one console or they should at least port it to PC like they did to metal gear 1 and 2 increase profit as i heard sony and microsoft are losing big on the console and are trying to make up for it by game sales, that said i am at a loss at one point i believed porting is bad since people will not feel the need to buy the console such as in my case with the 360.

PS: apparently i am the only person on earth that didn't have issues with Gears of War on PC, don't ask me how i just installed it.

PSS: sony had a head start on microsoft with the PS1 so one might say it has a larger fan base and the fact that its over priced (to the consumer)but still selling strong should be considered (sony loss is because of underpricing the console component wise).

It would be more believable if he said it was impossible because of the relationship Sony has with MGS rather than physical limitations of the 360. I don't think it will come based on the little PS things put into the game, like the Blu-Ray comment amongst others.

Consoles need their exclusives. If MGS should be allowed to be ported, then other 360 IP's should be ported to PS3. Thing is, that will never happen.

Want to play MGS4? Buy a PS3 :)

Why even bother posting this. It is clearly flame bate worthy. I mean this guy works for Sony, what do you expect him to say. We get the same threads all the freakin time. Why even bother?!

It's Possible, just need to copy the Videos/Movies or the whole game to Hard Drive to play, like MMOs.

But with Microsoft' OVERPriced Hard Drive prices, it's Ridiculous

MS really need to exam themsevles with that 20GB for $100!!! :|

It would be more believable if he said it was impossible because of the relationship Sony has with MGS rather than physical limitations of the 360. I don't think it will come based on the little PS things put into the game, like the Blu-Ray comment amongst others.

Yeap, I think that's the true issue here. It is certainly not technologically impossible on the 360, not by a long shot. I think it has more to do with politics than anything else.

He's right. I wouldn't want 4-5-6 DVDs just for a single game. Blu-ray for the win.

But on the other hand, the word "impossible" is exagerated. It IS possible, just that it's not desired.

So he's half right, half saying marketing ****.

He's right. I wouldn't want 4-5-6 DVDs just for a single game. Blu-ray for the win.

But on the other hand, the word "impossible" is exagerated. It IS possible, just that it's not desired.

So he's half right, half saying marketing ****.

I'm sure if it was released on the Xbox 360 with 4-5 discs masses of people would still purchase it.

Oh definitely.

So despite what people here might be saying, if it does happen (which I doubt very highly) then people will flock to buy it no matter how many discs there are.

So despite what people here might be saying, if it does happen (which I doubt very highly) then people will flock to buy it no matter how many discs there are.

You bet, it would probably sell better on the 360 in North America, but the PS3 version would still sell the most overall.

Edited by MarkX

It's probably useful to note that Square said the PS3 version of FF13 would be better. At their press conference, they said that although the content of the 360 and PS3 versions would be the same at launch, the media they've already created will need to be scaled down for the 360, due to the lack of BluRay.

Besides, Square did it to boost sales outside of Japan. MGS4 has already sold very well all around the globe. No need to port it (and incur high porting costs)

Of course MGS4 couldn't run on a 360 just look at the game, its a technical masterpiece and therefore the inferior 360 wouldn't be able to handle it.

i hope someone reports you and you get a ban lvl increase.

Yeah, obviously lots of people would buy it, because they'd have no choice if they had a 360. But it'd be really awkward.

Now, would it sell better on the 360 in North America? I have my doubts.

It's probably useful to note that Square said the PS3 version of FF13 would be better. At their press conference, they said that although the content of the 360 and PS3 versions would be the same at launch, the media they've already created will need to be scaled down for the 360, due to the lack of BluRay.

Besides, Square did it to boost sales outside of Japan. MGS4 has already sold very well all around the globe. No need to port it (and incur high porting costs)

Scale down? If it was on 5 discs, it wouldn't need scaling down! I don't remember seeing SquareEnix saying the PS3 version would be better :s

As many people have said already, it's not impossible but it is highly unlikely in the near future that MGS4 will arrive on Xbox 360.

From all the reading I've done on this the past week, I'd say "no" to MGS4 on XBox 360.

However,

I wouldn't at all be suprised to see Metal Gear Online make it, especially since they decided to release it as a standalone game.

It's Possible, just need to copy the Videos/Movies or the whole game to Hard Drive to play, like MMOs.

But with Microsoft' OVERPriced Hard Drive prices, it's Ridiculous

MS really need to exam themsevles with that 20GB for $100!!! :|

Or you could just buy the now $300 pro and get the 20GB HDD for almost $70 off. Just because it is overpriced by itself doesn't mean you didn't have the choice to buy it with the unit and get it for much cheaper. And the HDD isn't needed, for the last time. The game could easily run off the disk since a DVD drive is read much faster than a Blu-ray. Why do people think that just because the PS3 needs HDD installs that every other system will too?

Consoles need their exclusives. If MGS should be allowed to be ported, then other 360 IP's should be ported to PS3. Thing is, that will never happen.

Want to play MGS4? Buy a PS3 :)

PS3 is getting Bioshock. Who cares? I don't mind sharing IP's. Doesn't make me enjoy them on my 360 any less. PS3 can have Halo and Gears too for all I care. As long as you can still play them on your console of choice, why would you give a damn if they are on other consoles as well?!?!?

Yeah, obviously lots of people would buy it, because they'd have no choice if they had a 360. But it'd be really awkward.

Now, would it sell better on the 360 in North America? I have my doubts.

In what way would it be awkward?!?!

What?! MGS2 was on xbox? What rock have I been hiding under that's the biggest news I've heard in a while lol. The only other MGS game i can remember that wasn't PlayStation exclusive is the twin snakes for the Gamecube. Guess I learned something new today.