WiMax Vs WiFi

Question

Hello..Malaysia will providing WiMax services to Malaysian's soon. Do you WiMax is able to provide better connection speed compare to WiFi?

What are they you are referring to?

p1%20usb%20modem%20(250%20x%20333).jpg

Here's a closer look at the prototype USB modem...they already have it, they are just not launching it yet. I guess they have to test the market and see how's the response first rite. The USB modem is very very small, similar to size as VOdafone Mobile Connect Celcom's USB Broadband modem below. That's what I read :p

vodafone-the-stick-usb.jpg

This is Great..;)

The USB modem looks like a small handphone size to me. Anything but the size of a USB flash drive, as you can see the size is a lot bigger in the image I have posted in the page before, when P1's CEO is holding it.

The USB modem looks like a small handphone size to me. Anything but the size of a USB flash drive, as you can see the size is a lot bigger in the image I have posted in the page before, when P1's CEO is holding it.

Ya ok, maybe it's not that small, around the size of Maxis Wireless modem then...but smaller than a handphone la. Just check out the Video here of the prototypes

Devices

Ya ok, maybe it's not that small, around the size of Maxis Wireless modem then...but smaller than a handphone la. Just check out the Video here of the prototypes

Devices

What a relief to see the modem being much smaller than the 'lunchbox' one now. Oh well, the promotion is ending soon. Anyone signed up for it here?

What a relief to see the modem being much smaller than the 'lunchbox' one now. Oh well, the promotion is ending soon. Anyone signed up for it here?

I would love to sign up , but it's not at my area yet..plus I'm also waiting for the USB modem.

I would love to sign up , but it's not at my area yet..plus I'm also waiting for the USB modem.

Actually I don't see the point of getting the large modem. If we were to only use it at home I might as well subscribe to Streamyx or other broadbands. Since P1 promise to bring Wimax nationwide, USB modem make more sense since can go online with it even traveling around the country. You aren't bringing the lunchbox around, are you?

Actually I don't see the point of getting the large modem. If we were to only use it at home I might as well subscribe to Streamyx or other broadbands. Since P1 promise to bring Wimax nationwide, USB modem make more sense since can go online with it even traveling around the country. You aren't bringing the lunchbox around, are you?

I think it's ok to have the fat modem at home, and get Motorola USB Wimax dongle for your laptop, and you can still use it to access your home network up to quite far away. Haha maybe not so practical...unless you live in a city with WiMAX access all over.

I think it's ok to have the fat modem at home, and get Motorola USB Wimax dongle for your laptop, and you can still use it to access your home network up to quite far away. Haha maybe not so practical...unless you live in a city with WiMAX access all over.

By the way, is Wimax signal harmful to human? There are these Penang associations who complained about the Wireless@Penang which offers free wifi, claiming that it would be harmful. But as far as I know, these things are harmless.

By the way, is Wimax signal harmful to human? There are these Penang associations who complained about the Wireless@Penang which offers free wifi, claiming that it would be harmful. But as far as I know, these things are harmless.

This means we should avoid those long hours in starbucks... might be harmful

Well, there is still no solid evidence that wifi is harmful to us. But a Google on this issue reveal much concern about it. I believe it will still be fine if it's being used moderately.

WiFi always seemed like a stupid idea to me. If I'm at home I can plug in to an ethernet jack. If I'm not, I want to be able to get to the Net anywhere= WiMax

WiFi always seemed like a stupid idea to me. If I'm at home I can plug in to an ethernet jack. If I'm not, I want to be able to get to the Net anywhere= WiMax

Wi-Fi have its uses. I wouldn't bother to drag the cables out there all the way into my room. My friends can bring their laptops over and start surfing while working together without the need of dragging the cables out again, not to mention that it's much more convenient to check my emails without the need to boot the computer with my Wi-Fi enabled phone.

I guess it would do more harm to our pockets spending at starbucks. haha. i think the wimax signal is harmless, cause if it were to be harmful, then i suppose every other signal is harmful as well.

I guess it would do more harm to our pockets spending at starbucks. haha. i think the wimax signal is harmless, cause if it were to be harmful, then i suppose every other signal is harmful as well.

Ya in fact our electricity towers emitting the signals are more harmful to health in the long run, heck coffee is more harmful and so is smoking than any floating signals out there.

Ya in fact our electricity towers emitting the signals are more harmful to health in the long run, heck coffee is more harmful and so is smoking than any floating signals out there.

Coffee and cigarette can be avoided, but not signals.

Coffee and cigarette can be avoided, but not signals.

ya but i was saying about electricity towers which is unavoidable too. Anyways, radio waves has been around for more than a century, if not in Malaysia in some other countries, and if health defects was apparent, it would have been detected since. So Wimax is on a different Ghz, I guess we can look at countries already using it to determine it's effects.

ya but i was saying about electricity towers which is unavoidable too. Anyways, radio waves has been around for more than a century, if not in Malaysia in some other countries, and if health defects was apparent, it would have been detected since. So Wimax is on a different Ghz, I guess we can look at countries already using it to determine it's effects.

I guess we can forget about the health issue. No matter what is the results, it is almost impossible for P1 to stop it after all the investing and heavy marketing. Unless it can cause cancer in no time.

I guess we can forget about the health issue. No matter what is the results, it is almost impossible for P1 to stop it after all the investing and heavy marketing. Unless it can cause cancer in no time.

It seems that we got no where to hide... aren't they launching Wireless KL? lol shift to Penang then!

Wi-Fi have its uses. I wouldn't bother to drag the cables out there all the way into my room. My friends can bring their laptops over and start surfing while working together without the need of dragging the cables out again, not to mention that it's much more convenient to check my emails without the need to boot the computer with my Wi-Fi enabled phone.

OK, so it might be useful in apartments, but of course you gotta secure it from war drivers and will experience problems going through walls, wires don't.

How's the quality of Wimax signal going through walls and what about privacy, could anyone who has access just sit there with a packet sniffer and see people's data?

OK, so it might be useful in apartments, but of course you gotta secure it from war drivers and will experience problems going through walls, wires don't.

How's the quality of Wimax signal going through walls and what about privacy, could anyone who has access just sit there with a packet sniffer and see people's data?

That's an interesting question, I Ctrl-F'd the wikipedia article here and couldn't find anything relating to encryption, RADIUS, WPA, WEP, and only one thing to do with security. I'll probs edit if I find anything else out.

EDIT: Information seems thin on this, it is just listed as an objection here and nothing helpful on the objections page linked from that last one here

Wi-Fi is doing fine going through walls in my house. One more advantage is that I can bring my laptop around my house without needing to worry about the cables, having to bring them along to wherever I go.

Not sure about the security of Wimax though.