[E3] Playstation HOME: Game Room Walkthroughs & Gamespot Preview

This is looking better every time I see it. Yes it's been delayed, we know that but I would prefer the service to be working before it's released. Sony really should have kept quiet about this until about now!!

Sony's Home is one of the most highly anticipated titles on the PlayStation 3, and it has the potential to revolutionize the way users interact online. However, there's no doubt it's taken a long time to come to fruition. At the Sony E3 2008 press conference, the company reiterated Home's importance to the platform and promised that it would release an open beta in the third quarter of 2008.

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

0004.jpg

Home is designed to bring together Sony's three key interests: gaming, music, and movies. The home square is the embodiment of this intention and houses a gaming arcade, a movie theatre, a music zone, as well as shops and meeting areas.

0005.jpg

0006.jpg

0007.jpg

The games arcade allows you to play simple games against other people from right inside Home. These include such games as chess, pool, and bowling--all of which could be described as simple but addictive minigames. From our preliminary look at the pool game, the physics feel good, but they won't compete with a proper stand-alone pool sim.

0008.jpg

0009.jpg

In the music zone, you'll be able to listen to communal music and make your character dance along to the music. A menu system allows you to choose from different dancing styles, and we were shown a particularly funny robot dance. Sony hasn't confirmed whether you'll be able to buy music here, but we expect it's a feature that's being considered.

The cinema holds a lot of potential, especially because it will allow you to watch movies with friends. Sony is being coy about content and pricing at this stage, but with a movie division, as well as a new download service, it's likely that such a Sony title as Spider-Man is being lined up for an appearance.

0010.jpg

0011.jpg

0012.jpg

Your living space will be the most personal aspect of Home because it will be viewable by invitation only. The demo apartment that we saw was small, but it overlooked a beautiful dock complete with expensive yachts and circling seagulls. We pressed Sony on the cost of owning such an apartment, but the reps wouldn't be drawn on prices--all they said was that you could own many different properties if you wanted.

Although Home is set to be a free download for PlayStation 3 owners, Sony will make money from paid downloads and sponsorship. Posters and video walls adorn the public areas, plus there will be specific zones sponsored by individual companies or products. Sony mentioned that Nike is involved, and we were told that Ubisoft broadcast its Ubidays event within the current beta version. Seeing next year's Sony E3 briefing through Home is just one of the possibilities opened up by the software.

0013.jpg

0014.jpg

0015.jpg

One of the ways that products and brands will get involved in Home is through specific zones. Sony demonstrated zones with two games--Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Warhawk. The Uncharted zone took the form of a bar where you could sit down and have a drink, play an arcade game, or even watch old movies on the black-and-white TV. There were also locked doors that could be opened by finding codes hidden around the bar. The Warhawk zone had a much more military feel and featured a sandpit where you could plan tactics before seamlessly jumping into a game.

With so many different areas to visit, getting around the world of Home could be difficult. However, the application uses a simple map system that allows you to move from zone to zone just by clicking on the maps. The same ease of use applies to communication because you'll be able to use a Bluetooth headset to talk or a USB keyboard to type messages.

Sony is keen on continually offering something new within Home and promises to update the system as often as possible. The application will also be tailored to individual territories, with the American home square looking bigger and grander than the European one we saw recently. However, the plan is that all PlayStation 3 owners will be able to download the open beta in Q3 2008, so we'll get to find out even more about it soon.

Source: http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6194613/in...stories;title;0

Was quite obvious that it would be.

Not really at first, but when I started seeing that Japan had their own Home square a while back it started to click.

For the reasons of advertising, what movies will be shown in the cinema (different regional contracts, not all content can be shown in every region), ect - It does make sense though.

People from anywhere though can visit/be invited to your Home apartment/space.

I'm sure it will be the same with gamer spaces as well, as clearly with something like Warhawk you and your clan may be composed of people from around the world, therefore you all need access to the virtual Warhawk tactical table to setup prior to launching the game.

I knew from day 1 that it would be as they boasted about video/movie content available in the square.

You can still throw invites across regions once you are in your game room/apartment though.

Well, looks like it's going to be region locked.

https://www.neowin.net/news/gamers/08/07/17...e-region-locked

Lame!

So much for region free gaming Sony! :(

I just hope this doesn't mean we won't see some areas that other regions have, and the experience is pretty much the same for all users but just different content (for obvious reasons) eventually.

I just hope this doesn't mean we won't see some areas that other regions have, and the experience is pretty much the same for all users but just different content (for obvious reasons).

This.

I posted reasons above that make it obvious why this is happening.

What were they suppose to do when you went to the cinema with your Australian buddy? Stop him from seeing content you can that's only legal/contracted in your region? It's the same with the mall. Why would we go to the mall and see American products/advertisements?

Same with practically any real life DLC/items we can buy in Home, it's all going to need to be tailored to regions due to copyright/licensing.

They kept Apartments/Homes region free and gamer rooms will be as well - That's the main pads/areas you'll spend with other people around the world.

Unless your dying interest in Home was to go shopping in the mall with your American buddies :p

Don't think there is any reason at all to give them a hard time over this, it's practically unavoidable.

Its hardly Sonys fault though is it? It's copyrighted material that will be shown in the squares. As already said, you can still game cross region.

I don't care about the content, I fully understand why that will be region specific, but there is no reason to close off the rest of the public zones.

That's a pretty big disappointment for me.

I don't care about the content, I fully understand why that will be region specific, but there is no reason to close off the rest of the public zones.

All public zones will be met with region specific advertisement and potentially DLC/items to buy.

It's already hinted at there above in the music area you could potentially buy music straight from Home.

Region free public zones aren't out the question anyway, if apartments and gamer rooms can be left region free, obviously other things can.

I'm not saying it's ideal, but I'm struggling to see how else it could be handled. Advertising was going to be there day 1, it's a free service.

The content will up all over the public square (to help pay for the service we don't have to pay for), so whilst you may not care for it, there is no other way around it.

Why not just leave the zones open to everyone and only limit who can buy from it based on their location.

I can see US getting some pretty damn amazing zones now that we'll miss out on :(

The content will up all over the public square (to help pay for the service we don't have to pay for), so whilst you may not care for it, there is no other way around it.

You've misunderstood me. I mean I don't care if it's region specific, I expected that to happen anyways. Not that I don't care about the content at all, of course I care about that :p

Means we can't go bowling with DL :cry:

You live in Europe, so does he...

Europe/USA/Japan are split, not countries ;)

lol.

I can see US getting some pretty damn amazing zones now that we'll miss out on :(

What would the motive behind that be? :blink:

I can see content, as in movies, music, DLC being varied, but if you mean a whole area, unless it's something illegal in a country/continent, I doubt it :p

Why not just leave the zones open to everyone and only limit who can buy from it based on their location.

Advertising. Simple as.

Advertising. Simple as.

It's not that simple, but yes advertising will be part of it...