[E3] PlayTV dated, will record TV while gaming

SCEE president David Reeves has told Eurogamer that PlayTV will launch roll out in Europe "from September to December" starting with a UK date of 10th September.

Reeves also confirmed that the device - a digital video recorder add-on for PS3 - will allow users to record TV at the same time as playing games.

"Yep, it's going to be 10th September that PlayTV comes out," he told us in an interview set to be published whenever my fingers start working again.

Asked if Sony had overcome technical hurdles and definitely planned to let you record TV at the same time as playing games, he said: "We do, yep."

"It was very difficult for some of the tech guys but we had to include it in the firmware upgrade, 2.41, but it's done now," he said, so in theory if your PS3 is up to date you're all set for the 10th September launch.

Reeves announced at PlayStation Day in May that PlayTV would cost EUR 99 when it launched in September, but was unable to nail down a date.

He also had some good news for gamers elsewhere in the PAL markets. "We've got Australia and New Zealand also lined up for it in January or February, because on their digital terrestrial they haven't actually set the standards yet.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=191896

Record while gaming is AWESOME news for sure :D

I'll be using this, so definite purchase.

I'm disappointed with this.

They don't put a word limit on Neowin posts for a reason.

Care to explain a little more?

99 Euros, that's 740 Danish Kroner, plus Danish tax and adding all those little extra government costs ...

That's like 1200 Kroner + ?! = 255 Dollars.

Holy cow :|

Awesome. If only it supported freesat.. :(

It's an HD recorder, so think it might?

Good point, I wonder if it will only be freeview?

I mean a firmware update might change it to freesat.

I'm not good with these technical broadcasts ect, all I know is it records HD as well.

Any digital satellite service would be good. Only have the freeview channels is no good for me. I have my own PVR anyway so this isn't something I will be getting.

If its going to be DRM free so I can play it anywhere, and export it to where I like in a watchable format, then a bigger hdd will be needed for sure. :shiftyninja:

99 Euros, that's 700 Danish Kroner, plus Danish tax and adding all those little extra government costs ...

That's like 1200 Kroner + ?! = 255 Dollars.

Holy cow :|

What the?

It's ?79.99 which is 80 quid, which means it's 160 dollars (more realistically 145-150 dollars).

So unless your Tax adds on just under 100 dollars worth I think you must of gone wrong somewhere.

If your Tax does add that much, I've got to say WTF is happening in Denmark?

Do you get charged tax on top of every purchase?

Cause the 99 EUR will be tax inclusive, and so is the ?79.99 - That is what I'll pay when it comes out.

Awesome. If only it supported freesat.. :(

+1, Freesat would be brilliant. Will be asking for this for my birthday on the 19th. This has came just in time, the digital tuner just broke on my TV.

How much do you get taxed? You just added on 500 Kroner from nowhere... (But then again I don't know the ins and outs of the danish system ;))

It's an HD recorder, so think it might?

Good point, I wonder if it will only be freeview?

I mean a firmware update might change it to freesat.

I'm not good with these technical broadcasts ect, all I know is it records HD as well.

The Wikipedia article has no mention of satellite, only DVB-T (Freeview). It wouldn't be possible through a firmware update since it requires different hardware.

Holy crap! That is expensive!

Also on another note 'Record TV while gaming'.....

They can't even let you access the XMB at a decent speed while gaming so how is that possible?? (That wasn't a pop but the XMB is incredibly slow while in-game)

What the?

It's ?79.99 which is 80 quid, which means it's 160 dollars (more realistically 145-150 dollars).

So unless your Tax adds on just under 100 dollars worth I think you must of gone wrong somewhere.

Cause the 99 EUR will be tax inclusive, and so is the ?79.99 - That is what I'll pay when it comes out.

They have 25% VAT I think

Holy crap! That is expensive!

They can't even let you access the XMB at a decent speed while gaming so how is that possible?? (That wasn't a pop but the XMB is incredibly slow while in-game)

It isn't on mine. The XMB is generally quicker than the dashboard/guide on the 360.

They have 25% VAT I think

And we have 17.5% vat, or something like that.

The 99 EUR is including vat, which translates to ?79.99 in the UK.

That's why I asked Sethos if he paid VAT additionally on top of products.

If I even add another 25% onto my ?80, that takes me to ?100, which is about $195. Still not at $255.

I can't grasp how it could be that dollar equivalent.

What the?

As mentioned, we got 25% Tax or VAT as you call it. ( Highest tax rate in the world I believe )

PLUS, we got a ton of 'hidden' fees as my business class teacher called them, like random import taxes, environmental taxes etc.

You would be well surprised how expensive living in Denmark is. Here's a quality example, a new article from Kotaku;

http://kotaku.com/384734/be-happy-that-you...orry-if-you-are

The 255 dollar number is an estimate made on the spot, but I wouldn't be surprised if I turned out to be pretty damn close.

As mentioned, we got 25% Tax or VAT as you call it. ( Highest tax rate in the world I believe )

PLUS, we got a ton of 'hidden' fees as my business class teacher called them, like random import taxes, environmental etc.

You would be well surprised how expensive living in Denmark is. Here's a quality example, a new article from Kotaku;

http://kotaku.com/384734/be-happy-that-you...orry-if-you-are

If you really are paying $255 equivalent, thats like ?125:||

?45 more than what I'll be paying.

Why is the UK called rip off central of Europe then:p:p

It isn't on mine. The XMB is generally quicker than the dashboard/guide on the 360.

He didn't compare the speed to the 360 dashboard...he didn't even imply that...

-Spenser

He didn't compare the speed to the 360 dashboard...he didn't even imply that...

-Spenser

I didn't say he did. I used the guide on the 360 as a relevant comparison. Makes sense really, if I had compared it with how long it took for my washing machine to run the drain cycle it wouldn't have worked as well.

What do you mean how is it possible?

Speed has nothing to do with whether or not it can be done.

They confirmed recording whilst gaming, so we'll be recording whilst gaming.

I didn't say he did. I used the guide on the 360 as a relevant comparison. Makes sense really, if I had compared it with how long it took for my washing machine to run the drain cycle it wouldn't have worked as well.

It's not a relevant comparison though because he was using the XMB speed as a benchmark comparison for an argument about 'recording while gaming', which isn't present in the same way on the 360 (you can record TV while playing on your 360, but technically your Media Center PC is doing that recording, even if your 360 is the device that told it to). I dunno, that's just how I see it I guess.

-Spenser