[E3] PlayTV dated, will record TV while gaming

Because Denmark is a small insignificant country nobody cares about :p

I'll need to come visit, gotta see things with my own eyes :p

You must of paid the value of a house for your PS3 then lol.

It's not a relevant comparison though because he was using the XMB speed as a benchmark comparison for an argument about 'recording while gaming', which isn't present in the same way on the 360 (you can record TV while playing on your 360, but technically your Media Center PC is doing that recording, even if your 360 is the device that told it to). I dunno, that's just how I see it I guess.

-Spenser

His original statement was a little silly. They have announced it will record whilst you use you PS3. The speed of the XMB is completely irrelevant.

As he mentioned the speed I thought I would compare the speed of my XMB with that of something similar.

That's how I see it :)

I can already record tv while gaming.

with a vcr or pvr.

All I have under the TV in my room is a Wii, 360 and PS3.

No VCR or PVR.

Even if I did, I guess having only one device operational saves electricity? Haha I dunno.

You must of paid the value of a house for your PS3 then lol.

I paid ?650 For my PS3 at launch with a Blu-ray movie, so not nearly a house but pretty damn expensive:laugh::

( 1275$ for the yanks )

It'll likely be the dongle doing the actual processing of the recording. If anyone here has experience of PC decoder, the good, more expensive models handle the decoding and recording without becoming too processor heavy. The only thing the cell will need to do is save to the HDD, which can be handled by the SPE dedicated to the OS.

I paid ?650 For my PS3 at launch with a Blu-ray movie, so not nearly a house but pretty damn expensive:laugh::

( 1275$ for the yanks )

:oo

lol.

I thought ?425 was bad.

Something in Denmark has gotta be cheaper than in the UK to compensate.

Is your booze cheap:drool:l: Haha...

( 1275$ for the yanks )

It would have probably been cheaper to jump on the ferry to the UK or go across the borders.

It'll likely be the dongle doing the actual processing of the recording. If anyone here has experience of PC decoder, the good, more expensive models handle the decoding and recording without becoming too processor heavy. The only thing the cell will need to do is save to the HDD, which can be handled by the SPE dedicated to the OS.

Yeah, true.

But earlier in the year they couldn't confirm recording whilst gaming, just said they were looking into it.

Actually, was going to mention that in my previous post, booze is pretty cheap in Denmark. ( All things considered ... )

They lowered the price on alcohol and tobacco some years ago for reasons unknown to me, but I won't complain.

Still a bit cheaper in Germany though.

I'll stop the OT talk now :p

Actually, was going to mention that in my previous post, booze is pretty cheap in Denmark.

They lowered the price on alcohol and tobacco some years ago for reasons unknown to me, but I won't complain.

Still a bit cheaper in Germany though.

Clearly to promote Booze > Gaming.

Kids don't get Wii's, they get a cold pint thrown at them (Y)

Im gonna be purchasing this as I could do with something like this as I dont have a VCR or anythign to record tv programmes in my bedroon..

Clearly to promote Booze > Gaming.

Kids don't get Wii's, they get a cold pint thrown at them (Y)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...e-world%27.html

The ranking is a slight improvement on the last publication of the report, in 2001, when Britain's teens were placed second behind only Denmark as the heaviest consumers of beer, wine, or spirits.

*Cough*

But as for the topic, what was this freesat you are talking about? Aren't you able to record regular cable TV?

For the record, this WILL NOT support HD in the UK in any shape or form. It is only a DVB-T tuner and ofcom have decided to use DVB-T2 for HD OTA in the UK. DVB-T2 was only finalised last month so there's no way in hell will this have it.

This is a hardware change so it's not something they can add in later.

It also does not support DVB-S or S2 so again, there is no chance of it supporting freesat.

This is hilariously overpriced for what is essentially just a basic TV tuner and some software to use it.

For the record, this WILL NOT support HD in the UK in any shape or form. It is only a DVB-T tuner and ofcom have decided to use DVB-T2 for HD OTA in the UK. DVB-T2 was only finalised last month so there's no way in hell will this have it.

It also does not support DVB-S or S2 so again, there is no chance of it supporting freesat.

This is hilariously overpriced for what is essentially just a basic TV tuner and some software to use it.

Precisely, I'll only buy one if DVB-T2 support has been added.

Once that's confirmed I may not buy it any more.

However this was due for launch in March and it went under the radar, I'll await and see if any hardware changes were made.

Can you explain to me or link me to what this DVB-T stuff means? We've had HD in the UK for a decent amount of time, how is some standard only being finalized last month? :/

No seriously, It's pretty much 100% not going to happen, you don't need Sony to confirm it. There is NO DVB-T2 devices out on the market. The BBC had to hack together their own equipment for a recent test last month and the DTG hasn't even finished updating it's D-Book yet (Guide on how digital receivers should work to be compliant in the UK)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/terrestrial/a1...-timescale.html

Once that's confirmed I may not buy it any more.

However this was due for launch in March and it went under the radar, I'll await and see if any hardware changes were made.

Can you explain to me or link me to what this DVB-T stuff means? We've had HD in the UK for a decent amount of time, how is some standard only being finalized last month? :/

They're are broadcasting standards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T2#DVB-T2

DVB-T2 was only set in stone recently

No seriously, It's pretty much 100% not going to happen, you don't need Sony to confirm it. There is NO DVB-T2 devices out on the market. The BBC had to hack together their own equipment for a recent test last month and the DTG hasn't even finished updating it's D-Book yet (Guide on how digital receivers should work to be compliant in the UK)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/terrestrial/a1...-timescale.html

Does that mean NO recorders in the UK can record HD now? Apart from Sky HD?

Or is it an issue with recording Freeview in HD only?

Or is it an issue with recording Freeview in HD only?

It is possible to broadcast HD over the older DVD-T standard in MPEG2, however, DVB-T2 is a completely different kettle of fish and no DVB-T receivers can decode the signal.

As the broadcasters will broadcast in DVB-T2 you cannot receive the signal with current hardware. As DrCheese said there are no units on the market to do so. We'll need to get STB's, even for those who have integrated freeview tuners.

Lame I know but ultimately for the better.

Can you explain to me or link me to what this DVB-T stuff means? We've had HD in the UK for a decent amount of time, how is some standard only being finalized last month?

DVB-T is the current transmission method for Digital Terrestrial TV (Freeview) in the UK. The broadcasts are encoded in mpeg2. We only have a limited amount of spectrum set aside for Digital TV broadcasting and ofcom will not reassign the current spectrum being used for Analogue TV when the switchover is complete. There is nothing to stop the TV companies buying this space but it's more likely it will go to some mega rich mobile phone company for things like mobile broadband.

So we're stuck using the current space we have for freeview. This is VERY limited and DVB-T/Mpeg2 takes up gobs of space. You may have already noticed that freeview sometimes looks terrible even on SD, with horrible blocking and so on. This is due to TV companies trying to force to many channels in a limited space. There is no chance in hell they could fit HD channels in on the current system with the space we have without booting off all the other digital channels.

DVB-T2 is a newer transmission method for DTT that transmits more effiantly and gives us more space with the same amount of spectrum. Also ofcom are taking advantage of this by introducting mpeg4 at the same time as new hardware will be needed for DVB-T2 anyway. At first, only one or two channels will broadcast using DVB-T2 but the long term plan is to switch every channel over to DVB-T2 and mpeg4. This means a SECOND digital switchover in the future. Whist ofcom plan to continue DVB-T broadcasts for the next 25 years at least, this will annoy a lot of people, especially those who've just bought or are planning on buying HDTV's with only a DVB-T tuner in who will then also need a set top box to pick up HD programming over the air.

The current HD offering in this country is via satellite using the DVB-S/DVB-S2 with mpeg4 transmission method. Satellite uses a completely different set of spectrum than Terrestrial broadcasting and has GOBS of space free. This is why Sky and freesat are able to offer HD programming and why freesat is being pushed as the main way to get HD for free.

Yup, see above. Every current Digital device out there is incapable of receiving HD broadcasts using the DVB-T2 method.

Thanks for that.

Didn't know we were so shafted with our TV setup/broadcasts as we are with our broadband network.

UK (N)