• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WindowsXP Networking W/98SE

GamesQn    0

Recently installed the Beta 2495 build and after doing so my networked machine, client, when trying to search the Host Machine with XP installed on it I get a window that pops up that says enter network password. Tells me, You must supply a password to make the connection.

Resource: name of Networked Host MachinePC$

Password:

Anyone else come across this problem and know of a work around to open my network up to that machine? This is also disallowing me to access my printer from the client machine. The printer is connected to the HOST machine that has the XP installed on it.

If you know of a site to go to for solutions to these problems or have had to deal with this yourself please let me know what you had to do. I am hesitating putting XP on my client machine until more bugs are ironed out. May have to go back to the old and trusted Windows 98SE. :D Granted I understand this is beta, and things are to be accepted.

GamesQn

Marshalus    50

This same feature/bug was in Windows 2000 also. I've tried for ever to get the needed password, and the only thing I have come up with is:

If you take the Username & Password on your Win98 machine and make a user on your Win2k/WinXP marchine with the same user/pass, it will let you logon without the annoying password prompt.

I guess it's just NT security at work.

GamesQn    0

Thanks for the quick response. I'm assuming you mean the name and password at the login of your system? If that is the case where do I go to change the name and passwords?? Actually I have NO password entered on either machine but maybe my name is different on both machines. I know that is done when you install your OS but not sure where to edit it after you have installed your XP or Win98.

Thanks again,

GamesQn

Steven P.    13,602

I have always bypassed that problem by making sure that I login to a Win98 machine with the same user/pass as my 2000/xp box

for example:

xp login: Neobond/password

98 login: Neobond/password

will get you Network Access

or the 98 box will ask you for a pass to access XP in which case you could make a script to connect Printers and Network shares:

@ECHO OFF

net use h: XPSteve password

net use m: XPMp3

net use lpt1 XPHpdeskjet

EXIT

the net use h: line is my home drive on the server, notice I insert the password directly after the share name, that only needs to be done once because the rest of the shares are the same password. Im not sure what the syntax is for user/pass. you'd have to try it out. That script accounts for the same User on the network (on both machines)

Hope this helps!

GamesQn    0

Well, I tried the name/password idea on both machines with NO LUCK. :-( I ended up even restoring back to the initial starting point of my XP installation and started FRESH again. I can see the HOST machine from the Client machine but when I click on that HOST machine it brings up that darned window that says Resource: name

Password:

So I typed in the password that I made for both the machines, the same password, and it just gives me a NO NO!! And I even checked my spelling and all for the User name I gave both my machines and I'm using the same for that as well.

I haven't tried your idea of this script, but if I did that where do I put that at? Autoexec?? config sys?? someplace like that? Do we have those in XP???

I just get so frustrated when I can't solved a problem like this. LOL Worse scenario is I will just not network the one machine, I can network from XP to the client machine but can't network from the client to the XP machine .

Nite,

GamesQn

Steven P.    13,602

You would call the script login.bat and make it run from the Startup folder in your start menu (so it runs on every boot)

GamesQn    0

Where you say XP would I put the name of my machine in that reference or do I actually use the letters XP? Also?? Do I put this login.bat onto both machines or just the client machine that is asking me for the password all the time?

I got the login's done and into the startup folder but haven't rebooted yet and tried to see if it works. Just seems I should reference the name of the machine in this script? I am referencing my login name and password that I'm using. In referencing the printer? I am using an Epson Stylus COLOR 860 but on the Server machine where it sits it is called "printer" Is that how I would reference the script or would I reference it as printer? OK getting slap happy here now.. LOL

Nite,

GamesQn

GamesQn    0

YIPPEEEEE!!!!! Amazing what some sleep will do and restoring back to original with that niffty restore on XP and starting over again with the tips you all gave me some how or another it is working TODAY!

Now I get an error message on the login bat on the client machine because I put that in the startup folder there with a script like you suggested, I'm afraid to delete it thinking that may be what is making it work. LOL

Do you think if I should try and delete it and see what happens? Ok Ok.. I know.... JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trial and Error is the name of this game!

Thanks,

GamesQn

Bobby16    0

put in your winxp cd search netbui and the open containg folder read the scary instructions and then isall it and everything will be fine

Huga    0

The easy way:

Windows2000:

Enable the guest account and set it's password to blank.

WinXP:

Enable the guest account, leave its password as the default blank

Go into Administraive Tools->Local Secuirty Policy->User rights assignment.

Under Deny access to this computer from the network, remove Guest's name.

Tra la!

--

Huga

WinXP Beta Tester

jackp    0

Huga beat me to the punch. That is the exact solution. Took me days to find this about a year ago when I first installed win2k...

- Jack