There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Dell desktop won't boot from CD drive

I was trying to run "The Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" today on my brother's computer. He's got some Dell desktop from the Fall of 2004. I couldn't for the life of me get it to boot from the CD.

I know the CD works b/c I just burned it today and ran it on two of my computers. I changed everything in the BIOS that should need to be changed. I changed the boot order. I even disabled the HDD from booting at all. No matter what I do, it seems to examine the disc for a little bit and then just pass it and go on to the next thing in the boot order.

Before posting this, I tried to boot another CD (an XP CD), and still no luck. He's got two disc drives on the computer. Same problem for both of them. I haven't unplugged either of them yet, since I'm feeling kinda lazy and don't wanna open the machine. But still, this shouldn't be happening.

I know some drives that are old wouldn't boot but the computer is relatively new, as far as bootable CD technology goes.

Any other experience with this/suggestions?

Have you burned it correctly ... "burn image to DISC" or " BOOT from cd option " is selected in BIOS (you said you have tried) , CD/DVD writer dead .......

Have you burned it correctly ... "burn image to DISC" or " BOOT from cd option " is selected in BIOS (you said you have tried) , CD/DVD writer dead .......

There's no way I could have improperly burned it. I used ImgBurn. The disc works fine on other machines. The CD drive reads discs once I'm in Windows.

what speed did you burn at? some drives have problems with faster speeds.

I don't know the speed I burned it at, but the thing is, the drive wouldn't boot from an OEM XP disc, either.

Press F12 for boot menu

Did that, too. Didn't boot disc.

I did not get any response from the drive. No "Press any key to boot from CD" when I booted from pressing F12 or from changing the boot order in the bios. I didn't get a blinking cursor either. It just pauses at a black screen for a moment, as the drive reads the disc, and then dismisses it as a bootable CD, going on to the next item in the boot order (in this case, the HDD).

IDK what the jumpers are set to on the CD drives, since I haven't opened the machine up yet. I'll try that tomorrow when my brother's awake.

I have, however, tried the CD in both drives, and same problem with both.

Then it may be problem of CD(i think it is not bootable) have you tried on another PC it is booting there fine ....

If yes then it may be problem of CD/DVD writer ....

If in past you never change any setting of writer jumper then now also no need ......

I have, however, tried the CD in both drives, and same problem with both.

can't get

Then it may be problem of CD(i think it is not bootable) have you tried on another PC it is booting there fine ....

If yes then it may be problem of CD/DVD writer ....

If in past you never change any setting of writer jumper then now also no need ......

can't get

As I said earlier, I tried it on two other PCs and it worked fine. IDK if the drives have ever worked with bootable CDs, since it's not my computer, it's my brother's. But i'm sure that the jumper settings haven't changed since it was shipped to us from Dell. My brother wouldn't have touched that, and I know that I haven't. Would it be possible for an error with the drive to prevent it from booting bootable discs but still allow the OS to read CDs? When my bro wakes up I'll double-check that the OS can read the disc.

HHmmm ... i think not ...if OS is reading CD then it will also boot (if i m wrong plz correct) .... If not then error is with CD

you can check it ... if OS is running on that machine on which you want to install window (in case you upgrade or casual re-installation) you can start installation from there also

like this on running OS insert cd and check this screen come or not if yes then from here go to install window ... it give you option of upgrade ....

07_cannot_install_large.jpg

HHmmm ... i think not ...if OS is reading CD then it will also boot (if i m wrong plz correct) .... If not then error is with CD

you can check it ... if OS is running on that machine on which you want to install window (in case you upgrade or casual re-installation) you can start installation from there also

How could the CD have an error if it boots on TWO other computers?

i think the CD drive is dead. (lens problem, may be) or try resetting the bios to the standard factory settings. Some computers let you into the bios but wont let you change the settings without the bios password. (happens with old HP desktops). try resetting the bios by removing the cmos battery (you might also need to remove a jumper on mo-board)

did you try any other bootable CD on this machine?

I don't know the speed I burned it at, but the thing is, the drive wouldn't boot from an OEM XP disc, either.

Did that, too. Didn't boot disc.

didnt read this post..

i strongly believe that your drive is not set to as primary boot drive. check your bios settings again

Check in the bios for the following,

I can't remember if Dell has these options or not.

Boot Block Protection. or may refer to Master Boot Record Read Only.

Antivirus Protection Enabled- Not the One in the OS but the bios. If it has this then Disable it.

I have ran into the Antivirus one before where the only CD that would boot is the Restore CD - Or a Floppy.

Also try hitting either the F1 or the F2 after a power up on some models- There is an option for Boot Sequence-

I would probably Set it for the following option Floppy/ Cdrom / Hard Drive.

Also there should be an option to turn the fast post off... sometimes that could make the difference in accessing the cdrom to boot.

What model desktop is it? That could help me determine what bios it has and what the options are for it.

you guys wanna hear some wierd ****? So i opened the machine up and checked the drives; they were both on cable select, so i set the top drive to master and the bottom to slave.

I put the cd in, and watched as it read from the cd and started to boot up...

Ok, I said, it's finally working. So I went to another room to wait for it to boot.

I come back, and it's got some error message about not being able to read ntoskrnl, or something like that. ok, well, that sucks. i know the disc is fine, since it booted properly on two other machines, so i figured i'd try to boot it again.

That's when the fun started. I COULD NOT get the cd to boot again. I didn't change anything from the time before. It just wouldn't boot. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen.

I tried many times to get it to boot again, but couldn't. It just kept giving me the original problem (not detecting the CD as bootable).

Anyway, I i ended up switching the two drives and setting the original slave as master and vice versa. everything worked fine from there on out.

Great, you got it working!

I knew it had to be a master/slave config issue because:

1) CD booted on other computers.

2) XP OEM disc wouldn't boot.

3) The drive read the CD fine in Windows.

Why the hell would the original master boot the disc once, and never again? Keep in mind that this was immediately after I changed it from CS to master (see my above post).

So at last cd writer works when u put it as master .......

had your bro ever change the jumper setting or it;s just original setting earlier

So at last cd writer works when u put it as master .......

had your bro ever change the jumper setting or it;s just original setting earlier

He never touched it. That's how it came from the factory. Why would it work once (the first time after i switched the jumpers), and then not again?

even i also don't know why ?

your Bro never touch the jumper setting ... and CD/DVD writer stop reading Disc and when you change the setting it start working ...