'Batman' star accused of assaulting mom, sister

LONDON (AP) -- Batman star Christian Bale was to be questioned by police over allegations he assaulted his mother and sister the night before the European premiere of his film, ''The Dark Knight,'' British media reported Tuesday.

His mother and sister reportedly complained that the 34-year-old actor assaulted them at a west London hotel on Sunday.

Britain's Press Association said they made the allegation at a police station in south England on Monday and that the allegation was passed on to Scotland Yard in London. It said questioning was expected Tuesday.

When asked Tuesday about the news reports, Scotland Yard said it was investigating an allegation referred to it by another police force but refused to say whether the incident involved Bale.

The Sun newspaper said police did not question Bale on Monday because they did not want to interfere with the premiere.

Bale's U.S.-based representatives did not immediately return messages seeking comment. Phone calls to Bale's London representative were not unanswered.

source

Batman actor Christian Bale arrested over assault allegation.

Bale, 34, attended a police station after it was reported his mother and sister had reported him to police.

The alleged incident was believed to have taken place on Sunday night at Park Lane's Dorchester Hotel where Bale is staying.

His mother Jenny, 61, and sister Sharon, 40, are said to have gone to a police station in Hampshire to make the allegation, which was subsequently referred to the Metropolitan Police.

A Met Police spokesman said: "A 34-year-old man attended a London Police Station on Tuesday by appointment and was arrested in connection with an allegation of assault.

"He currently remains in custody."

Despite the alleged incident and report, Bale was allowed to attend the first European screening of the new Batman blockbuster The Dark Knight in London's West End on Monday night uninterrupted.

Bale was joined on the red carpet by Maggie Gyllenhaal, who plays love interest Rachel Dawes, and Sir Michael Caine who plays Bruce Wayne's faithful butler and father figure Alfred.

The film took a record $158.3 million in its opening weekend at the US box office overtaking Spiderman 3, which took ?151.1 million.

Interest in the film has increased because of the death of Heath Ledger.

His performance as Batman's arch nemesis The Joker, has been widely tipped by critics, as well as Caine, to receive a posthumous Oscar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...allegation.html

Officially arrested!

What's the big deal. Who hasn't assaulted his mother and/or sister once or twice.... :rolleyes:

It sounds like Curse of the Batman is upon the actors.. What's next?

Bale, 34, attended a police station after it was reported his mother and sister had reported him to police.

The alleged incident was believed to have taken place on Sunday night at Park Lane's Dorchester Hotel where Bale is staying.

His mother Jenny, 61, and sister Sharon, 40, are said to have gone to a police station in Hampshire to make the allegation, which was subsequently referred to the Metropolitan Police.

A Met Police spokesman said: "A 34-year-old man attended a London Police Station on Tuesday by appointment and was arrested in connection with an allegation of assault.

"He currently remains in custody."

Despite the alleged incident and report, Bale was allowed to attend the first European screening of the new Batman blockbuster The Dark Knight in London's West End on Monday night uninterrupted.

Bale was joined on the red carpet by Maggie Gyllenhaal, who plays love interest Rachel Dawes, and Sir Michael Caine who plays Bruce Wayne's faithful butler and father figure Alfred.

The film took a record $158.3 million in its opening weekend at the US box office overtaking Spiderman 3, which took $151.1 million.

Interest in the film has increased because of the death of Heath Ledger.

His performance as Batman's arch nemesis The Joker, has been widely tipped by critics, as well as Caine, to receive a posthumous Oscar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...allegation.html

Assaulting his own family? I really like Christian Bale, but now he has lost some points with me.

Yeah I may be with you on that one Rage, depending on what actually happened. Normally I avoid celebraty gossip but this one caught my eye. I'm a big fan of Bale, and he's one of the few great actors that I hear isn't an arrogant jerk, so I hope *maybe* his mother and sister both over reacted, but it sounds a little doubtful.

you should see the boards over at superhero hype. the fans are defending him to no end. i saw the dark knight and thought it was an average flick at best. all i can say is if he is found guilty of assault on his own mother and sister i hope he gets more than a simple slap on the wrist. these stars need to be taught a lesson that they will not get away with a crime just because they are rich and popular.

I bet Michael Caine is hoping he isn't up for a posthumous Oscar!

In all seriousness though, we don't know what has happened, and the report isn't particularly clear on details, so we shouldn't be disowning him as an honorable person just yet.

Way to get all the facts before making up your minds. Would hate to think anyone jumped to conclusions based on preliminary reports... :rolleyes:

why so serious bale?

but seriously tho we need more facts but Bale to me has always been something of a person where theres more then meets the eye.

Way to get all the facts before making up your minds. Would hate to think anyone jumped to conclusions based on preliminary reports... :rolleyes:

as the old saying goes.... "if you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime". :laugh:

Yeah I may be with you on that one Rage, depending on what actually happened.
Way to get all the facts before making up your minds. Would hate to think anyone jumped to conclusions based on preliminary reports...

:p

Maybe he was researching and preparing for a new role? You know how involved he apparently gets :p.

Assaulting his own family? I really like Christian Bale, but now he has lost some points with me.

Please. He's just an actor.

There are no facts in this article at all anyway.

There are reports circulating that Christian Bale was arrested for verbal assault, and one of Bale's reps is echoing that.

Who knew, but we called around jolly old England and found there is such a thing as verbal assault, Class 4 and Class 5. Class 4 is more aggravated than 5, with "an intent to cause alarm."

Was Christian's offense mouthing off to mom? We're checking.

you should see the boards over at superhero hype. the fans are defending him to no end. i saw the dark knight and thought it was an average flick at best. all i can say is if he is found guilty of assault on his own mother and sister i hope he gets more than a simple slap on the wrist. these stars need to be taught a lesson that they will not get away with a crime just because they are rich and popular.

yelling at your mum is not a crime. I agree that lots of celebs get away with murder, and its got to stop, but before you know the full story dont start going off on him, just cus hes a celeb that got arrested.

-edit-

after reading the post above, i though.... i wonder if he gets charged with verbal assault when he yells at criminals in the movie in his super intimidating batman voice :p:P

There's a thing such a verbal assault?

If true, how ridiculous! What's more sad is that this is his family filing these charges. Seems awfully convenient considering this happened the weekend his film was released and broke every record in the record book.