Apple's secret product is 'MacBook Touch'

Well with the iphone yoru thumb pretty much has full access to the whole screen from a holding position.

yeah sure, just opening you mail may be faster, untill you start to read your mails and have to move your hand all over the screen to click them. Then you decide to surf the web. 10 minutes in you've surfed several webpages moved your hand all over the screen a few thousand times to click links all over the surface of the screen, and you can no longer see anything due to the finger marks all over it.

that's not even counting the disadvantages you get from not havign a regular pointer device and not being able to see through your hands, you can't can you ? cause if you can you're pretty awesome :p

Haha, Apple has been in the touch market for a few years already, and it's been a long time now that they want to add touch to the Desktop version of OS X. When did MS think about Windows 7, last year? Ahhh wait, Vista was just released.

Another guy who doesen't know,the touchscreen has been in development for years behind apple,and of course they are imitating microsoft move to implement it in the last generation OS's.

Poor comment by your side.

When will people stop confusing touch and tablet... can't be that hard.

Most tablet PCs already support mixed finger and pen input (Lenovo's and HP's, while lacking multitouch, support both pens and fingers). I'd say that the distinction doesn't really exist.

Dell has a tablet PC with multitouch capabilities. My guess is that over the next year or so, most tablet PCs will switch from resistive passive digitizers to ones capable of multitouch (Capacitive?)

I've yet to hear anyone asnwer this, does anyone who actually use a computer semi regularly actually WANT to rub theyr hands and finers all over a computer screen, instead of minor mouse movements ? Touch makes sense for Kiosks and control station for advanced computer controlled industry equipment. To surf the web, read mail and regular stuff like that, not so much.

Yes, I do use it regularly. There's this nice extension for firefox that lets you drag a page up and down, and honestly, if my hands aren't at the trackpad or keyboard, I just poke the screen if I need to hit a button or something.

A tablet pc is an artists tool, this isa new version of the failed concept of smartscreens, wich had touch screens, but very slow CPU's because they where meant to be used as terminals mainly.

I disagree. I'm not an artist, and I absolutely love my tablet PC. It has replaced the pen and paper entirely for me, and the touch screen is very nice too.

I am still a little surprosed that Tablet PCs haven't taken off yet - maybe this could kick start the market (assuming this product is real) the same way that the iPhone has for SmartPhones...

HP just released the tx2500z, the second revision of their second tablet, at a very, very nice price (You can pick one up for $900). It's a vast improvement over their first attempt (The tx1000z), and its a very nicely spec'd machine for the price.

They really need to push it. It's an amazing machine, and I think it'd do quite well if they had better marketting.

Edited by MioTheGreat

Another guy who doesen't know,the touchscreen has been in development for years behind apple,and of course they are imitating microsoft move to implement it in the last generation OS's.

Poor comment by your side.

What don't you understand in "it's been a very long time Apple is thinking about making the whole OS X touch"? They've patented stuff for years now just for Touch things. Most of them were for the iPhone, but they will probably take them back for OS X.

This could be really neat. I'm not particularly keen on buying Apple hardware for it's price, but I'm hoping Win7 does a great job of implementing multi-touch because I'd love to have a laptop/tablet that could work with that.

Also, MS has been working on Surface since 2001, and it's conception probably happened years before, but that's besides the point as I'm sure neither came up with or implemented it first - it's also besides the point because I fully expect both companies to implement multi-touch well with laptops and other things in the next few years (and Apple's already done this with iPod Touch/iPhone).

-Spenser

meh, me and my friends alreay use Tablet PC's

Me; Gateway CX2620a

My GF: HP tx2500z

My buddy: HP tx2000

My prof: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111

Note: Most of these tabletPCs are both pen and touch and under $900 except my profs whose is a professional tabletPC costing $2700. If Apple ever released a "touch" mac, I guarantee it would be $2700+ with features present in a $800 tabletPC

meh, me and my friends alreay use Tablet PC's

Me; Gateway CX2620a

My GF: HP tx2500z

My buddy: HP tx2000

My prof: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111

Note: Most of these tabletPCs are both pen and touch and under $900 except my profs whose is a professional tabletPC costing $2700. If Apple ever released a "touch" mac, I guarantee it would be $2700+ with features present in a $800 tabletPC

And well it stop people from paying for it?

No. Not at all :p

id so get a tablet, as long as it was thin.

if same thickness as the main body of a Macbook/Pro. i may skip it

I bet apple would do the thing they always do and say they are the first ones witha tablet pc.

Also its funny that microsoft and bill fgates predicted and wanted this to happen and its actually happening.

Even though microsoft gets bashed all the time they do seem to predict/start things years before they actually become big.

I think for this to be big it has to be cheaper then the dell lattitude xt which also just became multitouch(which is listed as right now at $2099).

Apple, first ones with tablet PCs? Hell no. But Apple, first ones with multitouch functionality PC? Hell yeah.

Just because I'm pretty sure Apple won't do a plain simple Tablet PC. Their goal is to always innovate, so I bet they will add a LOT of touch functionality, or else they won't release it yet.

id so get a tablet, as long as it was thin.

if same thickness as the main body of a Macbook/Pro. i may skip it

Sry for double post, but now that I'm thinking about it, maybe this explains the MacBook Air existence. It would have been too hard / complicated to invent one of the thinnest laptops ever, along with multitouch OS and multitouch functionality.So they invent the MacBook Air.... meaning that now they have the ability to make thin laptops... they make the iPhone, gain some experience with multitouch, then they combine both and bang! MacBook Touch.

I bet the first one will be as powerful as the first macbook air (meaning NOT powerful) but the 2nd gen ... it should pwn everything.

Given apples pricing it will probably retail for $5,000

Then if you want an extra gig of memory, $6,000. Then if you want to add an SSD drive, $8,000 to $15,000 depending on the size of the drive.

I bet apple would do the thing they always do and say they are the first ones witha tablet pc.

Also its funny that microsoft and bill fgates predicted and wanted this to happen and its actually happening.

Even though microsoft gets bashed all the time they do seem to predict/start things years before they actually become big.

I think for this to be big it has to be cheaper then the dell lattitude xt which also just became multitouch(which is listed as right now at $2099).

No, just the first tablet actually worth having. Not a certainty, but given Apple's product rollouts for the past few years, I'd say chances are . . .

Hmmm . . . tablet product from Dell or tablet product from Apple. Guess which unimpressive, generic, also-ran I *won't* be buying!

If I placed *price* at the top of my priority list all the time, I'd never end up getting anything good.

Apple, first ones with tablet PCs? Hell no. But Apple, first ones with multitouch functionality PC? Hell yeah.

Just because I'm pretty sure Apple won't do a plain simple Tablet PC. Their goal is to always innovate, so I bet they will add a LOT of touch functionality, or else they won't release it yet.

The dell lattitude XT does that already.

This new apple product also has to compete with the Hp Touchsmart PC that recently got upgraded. IT starts at $1299.

Its an all in one pc with a touchscreen.

The Dell Latitude XT is innovative as you can get. I don't see how Apple can cook up anything new in the tablet market.

And it's going to be overpriced by like $500, what's the point?

No, just the first tablet actually worth having. Not a certainty, but given Apple's product rollouts for the past few years, I'd say chances are . . .

Hmmm . . . tablet product from Dell or tablet product from Apple. Guess which unimpressive, generic, also-ran I *won't* be buying!

If I placed *price* at the top of my priority list all the time, I'd never end up getting anything good.

Yes, and it seems your first priority when purchasing hardware is how well it will match your drapes and track-lighting... :rolleyes: