[News Article] My pool picture ban over paedophile fears

My pool picture ban over paedophile fears

GrannyPhotoSOLENT_450x450.jpg

Betty Robinson banned from taking photos in playground

An amateur photographer was told she could not take snaps of an empty paddling pool because she might be a paedophile.

Betty Robinson was ordered to put away her camera by a council worker when she began snapping the outdoor pool.

'It's absolutely ridiculous ? it's bureaucracy gone mad,' said the 82-year-old widow from Southampton.

She was with friend Brenda Bennett as she took pictures of the city's common ? where the pool is situated.

'We're a couple of old ladies. We're certainly not paedophiles,' she added.

Southampton City Council apologised but said: 'It is appropriate that our staff are aware of who is taking photos.'

Source: Metro

That is just crazy, Have things really gotten this bad? If I am reading this right this was an EMPTY pool? WHAT NEXT- YOU CAN"T TAKE PICTURES OF THE OCEAN. BECAUSE KIDS MIGHT BE SWIMMING 1 mile AWAY? If that is the case then they need to take down the Pictures that were in the local paper... Where a Kindergarten class won an award for recycling.

Things are probably just going to get worse. :( Every single time I go out to take photos I'm being constantly harassed by the police.

Reading stuff like this always makes me happy i live on this planet and well not somewhere else hahaha. Another reason I do not go outside much or in the city.

An amateur photographer was told she could not take snaps of an empty paddling pool because she might be a paedophile.

Betty Robinson was ordered to put away her camera by a council worker when she began snapping the outdoor pool.

'It's absolutely ridiculous ? it's bureaucracy gone mad,' said the 82-year-old widow from Southampton.

She was with friend Brenda Bennett as she took pictures of the city's common ? where the pool is situated.

'We're a couple of old ladies. We're certainly not pedophiles,' she added.

Southampton City Council apologized but said: 'It is appropriate that our staff are aware of who is taking photos.'

welcome to a mans world where we can't take pics of our kids/nephews/nieces

Oh don't even start me.

As someone who was falsely (and very glibly) accused of "forcing myself" onto someone* I have to think through any action made around kids.

* This is not a story for here or now, but suffice it to say that is was an attention seeking girl, who had a history of such actions, and NOBODY believed her. However, as I have always said "No smoke without fire" - I find myself on the other end of that phrase.

When down at the soccer fields near my house I do not photograph if there are only kids playing the game. All the parents know each other and it might get ugly. Now when the adults play I shoot all day.

While not right I have to think what would I think if a stranger was photographing my son in the pool or playground. The fact that the pool she was doing was empty kind of makes me think WTF?

I see a future where there are no photos of kids in the outside World at all. Then the adults of the future will ask, "where are the kids?"

Paranoia whipped up by the likes of Daily Mail, News of the World and Sky News have not helped at all.

Despite hype by the press, everyone over 40 with a camera is not a paedophile!

I despair for my Sons future.

And besides, the Council worker was 100% in the wrong. You cannot stop people taking pictures on Common ground or public places. Full stop.

He should be "re-trained".

And as for Southampton City Council saying: 'It is appropriate that our staff are aware of who is taking photos.' that is just so crass it makes me laugh.

Edited by artnada

Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip: "Thou shalt not think that any male over 30 that plays with a child that is not their own is a paedophile, some people are just nice"

the thing is, if anything did happen like arrest, court etc..

it would be so simple to argue your way out off its just not worth it for the authorities to do anything

idiots

I don't know. Why's that one there in the back wearing sunglasses if she's not a paedophile? Arrest, sentence, execute her!!!!

haha - you made my day. ;) I love sarcasm and irony. If I can't come up with something today, then Ive had my dose. Damn right execute her, she's an accomplis (or leader ... the leaders never "do" anything) to a granny pedophile ring.

But talking about irony, How exactly was the picture taken? This mystery pool that can't be photgraphed is clearly in the background. And the insane nanny is on the premises with a camera yet again.

All things being equal, its more fair to have a policy not allowing any pictures to be taken regardless of the use or intentions. Pedos are hard enough to catch and its all the more reason to at least take a few liberties away to help children have the freedom of growing up without having to worry about these bumwipes.

I was approached by some wierdo when I was 7 or 8 at a school crosswalk after school when *everyone* was leaving and the crosswalk guard was right there. I told him I'm not stupid. Reported him. And he was back the next day trying it again at the same time with everyone there. And the same car. I remember this from 20 years ago! You want some kids with their memory imprinted that some creepo took their picture and put it on the Net? That stuff stays permanent. So grannies - take pictures elsewhere!

haha - you made my day. ;) I love sarcasm and irony. If I can't come up with something today, then Ive had my dose. Damn right execute her, she's an accomplis (or leader ... the leaders never "do" anything) to a granny pedophile ring.

But talking about irony, How exactly was the picture taken? This mystery pool that can't be photgraphed is clearly in the background. And the insane nanny is on the premises with a camera yet again.

All things being equal, its more fair to have a policy not allowing any pictures to be taken regardless of the use or intentions. Pedos are hard enough to catch and its all the more reason to at least take a few liberties away to help children have the freedom of growing up without having to worry about these bumwipes.

I was approached by some wierdo when I was 7 or 8 at a school crosswalk after school when *everyone* was leaving and the crosswalk guard was right there. I told him I'm not stupid. Reported him. And he was back the next day trying it again at the same time with everyone there. And the same car. I remember this from 20 years ago! You want some kids with their memory imprinted that some creepo took their picture and put it on the Net? That stuff stays permanent. So grannies - take pictures elsewhere!

.. as long as its not made illegal they can do what they want.