Firewall for LH?

Has anyone installed a firewall that's worked with LH? I tried Zone Alarm with no luck at all. It would crash every time.

I had the same probs.....and i have tried norton and syagate and many more....non of them worked out :angry: Use the build in its the only one as fare i know :wacko:

Installing a firewall is the only problem I've had so far with Longhorn. Had a problem with the Catalyst drivers at first, but managed to get them installed. Everything except Zone Alarm has worked. Was going to try Norton Firewall, but after your reply I'm not sure. I might as well try it. Have nothing to lose. Never really thought about the built in firewall, not sure I'd like it that much. Eh, who knows...this whole thing is all about testing Longhorn and having fun with it, not making it your permanent OS!

I have a router here with built in firewall. I just haven't seen a reason to use it right now. Don't really need it for LH, and Zone Alarm does a decent job for me on XP. If I break out one of my other PCs, then the router will come back out...

would like to add to the compatibility part. This deals with LH and personal firewall software.

Compatibility:

Sygate personal firewall software causes LH Build 4008 to not boot. I isolated the issue to "Teefer.sys" which is installed by Sygate and loaded upon startup.

Re naming Teefer.sys to Teefer.bak, which can be found in "windows\system32\drivers". Or deleting Teefer.sys will allow LH to start up and sygate to load. Sygate will not be able to operate or function correctly.

Teefer.sys is a driver level sensor. Interestingly Sygate recognizes the issue of a corrupt teefer occurring frequently in Windows ME.

Where the system will fail to boot or throw a memory dump and the error message DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

Sygate's recommended fix is to do a clean un-install. First un-install SPF via the un-install wizard then reboot. Then once up please do the following.

Run a system search for anything related to Sygate, Sybergen or SPF and delete it.

Using Regedit locate and delete the following folders or registry keys if found.

HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\winsock2\wps

HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\sygate technologies, Inc.\Sygate Personal Firewall

HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\service\smcservice

HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\service\teefer

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine/software/Microsoft/windows/currentversion/uninstall/{5D422994-9E10-11D4-AEB1-00D0B7237D97}

Finally search and delete in windows ?Teefer.sys? (windows\system32\drivers\teefer.sys) and ?Wps.dll? (windows\system32\wps.dll)

Reboot and be sure the built-in firewall ICF is disabled before reinstalling.

Try that out.. i got it from h a r d w a r e g e e k s fourms. a person named Mowzer came up with that

LH still alpha and uses more resources. On boot up uses 231 Mb Ram. I guess it's huge for a OS. Maybe i mistaken but i don't see any xml staff in LH. I thing it is still very useless for using yet. ):

I'm waiting for beta....