anyone MCSE/MCSA certified?

last year got laid-off and now I am working with moron end users on a stupid helpdesk, with low pay, and no benefit.

Sounds like my last job ... I'm sorta giving my IT career a break; now I'm running a billiards hall/mini internet cafe' - new family business...

yeah, I got my own company but its a part-time effort. a bit time-consuming since its a 1 man operation.

After that lay off, I was said screw the MIS/CIS BS degree. Changed my major to business management so someday I am manage my operation without laying people off.

I have quite a few certs, MCSE being one of them. But it is worthless if you really do not have any real world exp.. You will find alot of paper only certified people out that do not have clue one.

Please wait until you have some real world exp.. Any 12 year old could horse up and pass the MCSE exams - Each exam/part should only costs around $100 to take - if your paying $5k or 10K to get this cert - you either have money to burn, or your a "____" --> you know, them and their money is soon parted :)

I am doing MCSA, MCSE, MCDBA and CCNA :yes:

Will be finished MCSE and MCSA in a week or so.

I do hope you have been working in an IT job for quite a while, or thats all going to be worthless.

Oh please, everyone take the test, PLEASE....

I'm an MCSE and a CNA. I've been certified for four years and a Systems Admin for three.

I was once "paper certified" and still am, since I rarely use anything I learned from those damn books.

The only way to know this stuff is in practice. My certs only befefit me by hanging on my wall.

I'm 14, and I have experience with Win2k Pro. (I use 'em at home)

One day, I did one of the online cert. practice quiz (A+ OS practice test) and got a 80 ;)

When I grow up, I will try getting those certifications :D

I'm 14, and I have experience with Win2k Pro. (I use 'em at home)

One day, I did one of the online cert. practice quiz (A+ OS practice test) and got a 80 ;)

When I grow up, I will try getting those certifications :D

Forget A+ it is very entry level and means nothing.

MCSE means not only do I work with the product I know it in depth as well. Well apart from all the damn paper MCSE's thats what it means.

i'm assuming "paper MCSE" means that you know how to do stuff on paper, but not in a real win2k environment. am i right?

second, if the above is true, i am already a "paper MCSE"

i also have a small network of computers and i have set up evaluation editions of win 2k/2k3 server on one and done a lot of things this way. unfortunately, because of my isp, i can't run a domain, so no AD yet.... which i know is a huge part of win 2k/2k3

err exams are $125 not $100.? and the only way a 12 yrs old could pass a MCP exam is to cheat like mad.

A 13 year old passed the MCSE exam a few years ago and didn't cheat. There was a huge write up about how hard the tests really were. Basically the kid read everything backwards and forwards. MCSE cert is a joke in the real world. I laugh when people call me up for help and claim they are MCSE certified. MCSE means what to me? You know how a computer works is what that means. Same goes for MCP. I should get certified but I work to much to study so I can pass what they want me to know. I beta tested Widows 2003 server and was a tester for XP and 98 way back when. I also run Solaris as an OS for various DNS and web servers and manage a nice network with some Cisco 7513 routers with 3 DS3's. Didn't need a MCSE to get this job and I love it!

The MS certs are good to have... Some positions do require them. However they should not be your only experience or certification. The problem with these people that say you don't need them is that they are usually the same people that run MS shops that are very insecure, very inefficient and filled with problems. These are the same guys that don't patch their systems and allow worms and viruses to propagate across their networks. That's not to say that you can't be a good admin without the certs, but the certs provide a foundation for you to build upon. Don't cheat your way though them. Learn the material covered. There are far too many admins out there that "think" they know what they are doing, but are really clueless.

I am certified in NT 4.0 Workstation/Server. Just got my CISSP, next is MCSE.

err exams are $125 not $100. and the only way a 12 yrs old could pass a MCP exam is to cheat like mad.

Umm - I said around $100, for god sake! I would take 125 as being around 100! And just because you can not pass a simple test, does not mean a 12 year old can't!

MCSE and all Certs have been devalued by:

1. the people who brain dump their way through exams

2. the ones who are certified on products they have never worked with, which is ludicrous.

I want to see:

1. A CCIE type lab based exam that is very tough

2. Brain Dumps made illegal and the closure of all sites related to them

3. A minimum of 1 years experience working with the products at a company for MCSA and 2 years for MCSE which you have to

prove before taking the exams.

4. Reference's from your Boss before taking exams too, to show you are up to the level required.

Edited by Jason

I am MCSA, MCSE and CCNA (for those who don't know you don't have to get the MCSA on the way to MSCE). I get that question a lot. Also for those who think the cert is a waste or worthless you are completely wrong. Granted employers look for experience too so you just can go get an MCSE and say, "Hey, I can do that job look at my piece of paper." An MCSE will help you get your resume looked at and get your foot in the door. Your experience and knowledge will help you get hired (any good interviewer can tell a paper MCSE from someone who knows their sh*t). Also in my experience if an IT director or CIO (CTO) requires a degree you don't want to work for the a$$ anyway. The best IT personnel are the ones with either no degree at all or something like an AA or AS. I am sure there are few exceptions but have yet to see one.

I do agree that all braindumps should be illegal. It does make it a little harder for the ones that know the stuff to get a job, but like I said if you know your stuff you will get it. There were 7 people in my IT team 2 years ago now there is just me. One of the guys had a BS and I don't have any degree. No piece of paper is a substitute for knowledge.

Mark

:cool: I'm Mcse win 2k , A+ certified and N+ certified. Certs are good but experience is what counts. I am glad I had the experience before the certs cause finding a good job without experience is a bit hard. At the last 2 companies I worked for the IT Dept heads didnt have any certifications or college degrees. There helpful but dont mean much without experience.

Edited by python134r

to get a MSCE cert what would I need to know? might take some tests next week, I learned most pc/os/application stuff on my own so I'm guessing it won't be that hard

I am doing MCSA, MCSE, MCDBA and CCNA :yes:

Will be finished MCSE and MCSA in a week or so.

I do hope you have been working in an IT job for quite a while, or thats all going to be worthless.

I am an IT Admin for several schools in my local area.