Nintendo already working on next console

The wii is capable of better graphics then what has been put on it. All games should be atleast re4 graphics (since the wii has better specs then the gamecube).

I see the wii 2 just being a general upgrade to the wii. HD capable graphics (nothing to wow). using a wii mote with that new attachment built in maybe a couple of gigs flash memory and maybe using a nintendoized version of blu-ray.

All backwards compat with the wii's games and stuff.

That all would be possible. Thats all i want anyway.

The wii is capable of better graphics then what has been put on it. All games should be atleast re4 graphics (since the wii has better specs then the gamecube).

I see the wii 2 just being a general upgrade to the wii. HD capable graphics (nothing to wow). using a wii mote with that new attachment built in maybe a couple of gigs flash memory and maybe using a nintendoized version of blu-ray.

All backwards compat with the wii's games and stuff.

That all would be possible. Thats all i want anyway.

The major complaint though majortom is the lack of HD - We know games like SMP and Zelda can look good for Wii standards, but even at that, those games look pretty meh on an HDTV. No game is going to change that and it's because of the resolution the Wii outputs at - It's far below the resolutions that make an HDTV look good.

As for your comment on Wii 2/HD, it's exactly what I'm speculating. I really don't think Nintendo need to go off and try to revolutionize the control scheme again - Motion sensing has worked well, further it if you have ideas, but we don't need drastic changes.

Head tracking could be cool.

However my speculation on the next Wii if it is really just an HD upgrade, leads me to believe it will kill off the Wii. Especially if it comes in at a low price entry like the Wii did and it has BC (it could essentially just be PS3/360 equivalent visuals, which in 3/4 years will be fine - We'll let the PS4/Next Xbox go cutting edge again).

The problem with 3rd party's is that noone thought the wii would sell! Noone invested in it because everyone thought the 360 and ps3 would blow it out of the water.

now they're playing catch up...the thing is that they still don't want to invest in the system...so they release crap titles

then there's a problem of demographics. games like no more heroes and madworld are awesome. the problem is, people who want those types of games already own a 360 or ps3, so don't bother with them

i personally have no problem at all with family-oriented games. i love me some link or mario kart. Nintendo's gotta know this, and I gotta agree, they've got to do something about it

New zelda next yr plz

The problem with 3rd party's is that noone thought the wii would sell! Noone invested in it because everyone thought the 360 and ps3 would blow it out of the water.

now they're playing catch up...the thing is that they still don't want to invest in the system...so they release crap titles

then there's a problem of demographics. games like no more heroes and madworld are awesome. the problem is, people who want those types of games already own a 360 or ps3, so don't bother with them

i personally have no problem at all with family-oriented games. i love me some link or mario kart. Nintendo's gotta know this, and I gotta agree, they've got to do something about it

New zelda next yr plz

Just don't want Nintendo being lazy thinking they can just ride the cheap family games because it's printing money for them right now.

One of the Sony CEO's actually made a decent point the other day.

He was basically talking about how right now, the PS3 is a hardcore console, there's no doubts. Sony deem the PS2 to be their casual option right now, and as the PS2 market continues to die, they'll broaden their casual strategies on the PS3, to try and temp some of that PS2 audience over. As it stands right now though, they were basically saying they don't feel pressure to need to have to start going casual bonkers on the PS3 but at a later date they will broaden horizons as needed.

Basically put, Ninty shouldn't go to sleep on the casual side, because while people may think motion sensing has tied up the casual generation end of, we only need to look at how popular the PS2 was with the casuals and realise standard consoles, meaning the 360 and PS3, can EASILY appeal to the casual market (Y)

I guess you can play devils advocate and say but no motion sensing existed at all during the PS2 era, and yes you're right - That's probably why we get these rumours about the Newton 360 mote so often. People think it's crucial for motion sensing to now get casuals. I'd maybe agree with that a bit, I dunno, I'm not inclined to commit to saying it's necessary for a waggle to attract casual gamers though. I think LittleBigPlanet is going to be the first major HD PS3/360 release to prove that :yes:

Basically put with awesome HD graphics and great social/online features, when the 360/PS3 hit low prices* and have a good varied arsenal (for casuals/hardcore and in-between), who knows what could happen?

And I know what I said in that sentence above seems to be the clich? hardcore fanboy response to the Wii's success, but please understand it's only a viewpoint from me - I don't know if it will happen, but I do think unlike the hardcore fanboys that just spew that one sentence and do a runner, I've at least tried to put a little effort into explaining my view and how it may, onlymay>, have some impact.

A lot of you may be quick to point out how the 360 is lower than, or definitely competes with the Wii right now, but as I stated at the end of my sentence, the 360 needs more casual games - E32008 anyone? MS focussed on hardcore first, just like Sony are actually still doing right now. Also as I commented on above, the PS3 and 360 are slowburn consoles and both MS/Sony know they are guaranteed to have a lot of years to play with - Get the core audience first, then move onto the casual;))

Edited by Audioboxer

The Wii while it gets tons of 3rd party support for the $$$, sees so much crap made for it, it's unreal.

Like the games that came out on the PS2. Did anyone cry about about the glut of PS2 games back in the day? (Serious question)

Like the games that came out on the PS2. Did anyone cry about about the glut of PS2 games back in the day? (Serious question)

Yup, I know I did. Sony fans didn't of course..

Mario Kart is the 2nd most currently played game at my house (next to battlefield bad company of course). The fact that it's 480p instead of 720p is the last thing on people's minds. The game looks great the way it is. It's fun as hell.

I got my money's worth out of my wii. If I don't evenr play it again I can still say I got my money's worth.

People still want the wii. It's still hard to find at some places. Most of the world still doesn't have an HD tv.

People that don't like the wiii hate fun.

Mario Kart is the 2nd played in my house as well, seeing as I'm the only one gaming. The other one is in the complete opposite direction of Mario Kart and that game is Gears of War.

HD is starting to really become popular...still lacking though.

Do you really think most people care about HD gaming? Many don't even know what HD means.

Maybe when the majority of people hook up their consoles to HD TV's things will change, as of right now we're still a minority.

That is very true, a lot of people don't have HD yet, I know when I got my 360 I was playing it in SD. That was of course until a got a Computer monitor/HD TV. Very good point.

This is the equivalent of posting Madden '10 is being worked on when Madden '09 has gone gold.

I think you sir are completely crazy for saying this. Yeah, sure Madden '10 is being made starting in about a month or two. The fact is that Madden will never be what it was a few years back, I'm sure they are running out of ideas.

Not really, seeing as Madden 10 basically is Madden 9 with "two" new things.

So really, Madden 10 is complete once Madden 9 goes gold :laugh:

Thank you for saying that.

All three companies should be working on their next consoles.

Xbox I believe has already stated they are already working on theirs...even though with the completely re-designed Dashboard coming out...they must have a lot of great ideas in their sleeves.

On the technological side heres my thoughts. I think Nintendo made a bit of a mistake with the Wii and going for a relatively low powered device. Now I'm one who feels graphics isn't everything, they aren't, but less processing capability doesn't only effect the final look but what is technically possible for a developer to do in all areas including gameplay.

I guess a good example is open world games. Maybe they will come but I can't imagine the Wii ever really achieving a game like Oblivion for instance unless it uses some rather cleaver very styalised graphics. Not just open world games but even FPS have been a rather low key genre on the console and it's a genre people would buy into if there were good titles. As it is I'm sure the system specs will make it hard to make anything that looks too nice and while that somewhat comes back to the "graphics debate" it's worth mentioning that they do play a vital role in FPS in creating the sense of immersion an FPS needs to succeed.

It seems to me that with the Wii Nintendo developed it to the specifications that they wanted rather than the specifications that 3rd party developers could really take advantage of. Let's not kid ourselves, in terms of 3rd party titles the Wii is pretty much devoid of any big name games. They could really have benefited I think from a bit more horse power to make the Wii a more viable candidate for games being ported from the 360 and PS3 to the Wii. Nintendo could still do their thing with the 1st party titles no problem but it could get some more quality titles on the system even if they are only ports.

So thats my opinion anyway. I want more power in the next Nintendo console not really because I like pretty pictures, but because it will give developers more incentive to port those games on other consoles as well as opening up a few game types that the Wii really isn't suited for such as the open world type games that shoot for a realistic setting.

I still like the Wii mind you and do own one so don't think I'm totally against it just because it hasn't got the grunt of the others. In fact Zeldas probably my favorite game this generation.

The wii is quite literally an overclocked gamecube with a couple of extra bits thrown in (like bluetooth).

In fact, if you read Nintendo's own development guidelines, they specifically state something along the lines of "develop as if it was a gamecube title, then make it look better with some nicer effects".

I haven't turned on my Wii in so many months

I have no one to play with..

That'll teach me not to buy consoles at launch times.. I just don't know what to expect.

• 2 weeks later...

none of the current generation consoles have graphics that are good enough for me.. couldn't stand GTA4 on the PS3. I'd rather have low texture detail and high resolution over high texture detail and low resolution, if that makes any sense.

For example, final fantasy X running emulated with the latest graphics plugins running on a 24 inch widescreen monitor with full 1920x1200 resolution looks incredible.. hell, zelda Ocarina of time and Super mario 64 emulated with high res texture mods do too! ... trying to play Final Fantasy IV on the nintendo DS does not. Just can't stomach those low resolutions and jaggies.

gotta love high res...

post-1712-1219100504_thumb.jpg

post-1712-1219100660_thumb.jpg

Edited by stockwiz