Man beheaded on bus to Winnipeg

It's no hoax, I saw the report on CBC right after it happened and the eye witness account of 1 of the people who helped keep him in the bus, and this guy was nuts! Calmly holding the head for them to see at the front of the bus. This stuff doesn't happen in Canada, let alone that part of the country.

Reminds me of something that happened here once. Some guy killed another passenger by hitting him in his head with an axe on a metro. He was a mental patient so you can't really blame him.

I hate when criminals get off with the "mental problem" excuse. No matter what, he committed the crime and should serve the punishment

It's no hoax, I saw the report on CBC right after it happened and the eye witness account of 1 of the people who helped keep him in the bus, and this guy was nuts! Calmly holding the head for them to see at the front of the bus. This stuff doesn't happen in Canada, let alone that part of the country.

Not doubting it was true. It's just very disturbing. :|

Appropriate Quote.

Yes but the Joker's sicko crimes were at least marginally creative, and fictional. Not real like some emotionless psycho hacking some bloke's head off on a bus.

So creative killing is en vogue I suppose.

I mean as long as it's classed as fantasy. Kill Bill are two of my favourite films. Lots of creative killing there. But it is not real. That is the difference.

I ride Greyhound and incidents like this rarely happen. The worst incident I have seen is teenagers drinking at the back of the bus or maybe someone snoring too loud. I've never saw anyone being overly aggressive either. I can also vouch for the lack of security. My last trip a few weeks ago, I carried a pocket knife on the bus for protection and I wasn't searched and neither were my bags. If I wanted, I could easily carry all sorts of contraband without worrying about being searched. They'll most likely change that now though after this incident.

I hate when criminals get off with the "mental problem" excuse. No matter what, he committed the crime and should serve the punishment

He was totally insane, hearing voices. He was being treated in a hospital and the problem was why was he out. Anyway, if a person is committed into mental institution for criminals, he gets no date when to get out, someone with a problems as serious as this usually spends his whole life in there. In a regular prison he would probably get out in 10 years.

I talked to one psychologist once who works with these cases and she said that criminals usually do everything they can to look sane so that they would avoid being committed to mental institution. But the common belief in people still is that everyone wants to get there instead of a regular prison.

But it might be different in US where prisons are so horrible.

Edited by Joni_78

Why didn't anyone help the dude? i seen beheading videos on the net, and it's not a instant process. They couldve kicked the crazy dudes ass and saved the sleepy guy. makes me hate this world really.

Even though the dude was stabbed in the neck, if they people helped he could've had a chance.

The article says:

He was stabbed repeatedly with a large hunting knife, sending blood spraying across the interior of the bus. The driver quickly pulled over and passengers fled out the front door.

The man then sawed off the victim's head and carried it to the front of the bus.

Nobody was in the bus when it happened.

Man, this is crazy! I'm in Canada right now (I'm a USican) and it's all over the news. The weird thing is the they're 'containing' all the passengers right now, except, it seems for one guy who was in the seat in front of them. He's done about three separate interviews, but I don't understand how he's been able to make all these statements to the press while the other passengers are being held?

its acts like this, that I can't understand how opponents against the death penalty still think this guy is worthy of being feed,clothed,housed by taxpayers money in prison...and being in Canada could even get parole later in his LIFE.

Damn, it's happened in Canada!!! :blink: wow I thought Canada was different than the U.S. :laugh:, I mean it is was in the United States that this happened it will not be so shocking.

Oh, I forgot, violent acts only occur in the USA.

Grow up.

I'm not surprised that the all the news station in Canada are now all jumping on bus security... this stuff is rare and I'm betting the guy was completely crazy and probably on some fun pills. Regardless, it doesn't scare me that much... it's too out there to be fearful of.

Oh, I forgot, violent acts only occur in the USA.

Grow up.

Canada's Largest-Ever Murder Trial Begins

Accused Serial Killer Confesses To 49 Murders, Planned 50, Prosecutors Say

NEW WESTMINSTER, British Columbia, Jan 22, 2007

(AP) An accused serial killer allegedly confessed to killing 49 women and intended to murder one more to make it an even 50, a prosecutor told jurors Monday during opening arguments of his trial.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/22/...in2385193.shtml

its acts like this, that I can't understand how opponents against the death penalty still think this guy is worthy of being feed,clothed,housed by taxpayers money in prison...and being in Canada could even get parole later in his LIFE.

You, sir, are foolish. If you use logic and think about the death penalty, you will see how much of a paradox it is. Voting as a large collective to murder fellow citizens whom the court adjudges to be murderers themselves is a Catch-22. If you convict just one innocent person and they are killed, ALL of you voting citizens who were in favour of said death penalty must now face the same sentence. And no, killing by proxy, is not more ethical than doing it with your own hands (see Charlie Manson).

Now, I know you might say that in cases such as this one, there is no possibility of the murderer being innocent. However, how many clear-cut cases do you think any justice system in any country sees per year? Ergo, instead of killing a few dozen insane folks via the death penalty, there are mental institutions and sanitariums for them. If not, there are other very severe punishments, even in Canada, where there is no life sentence without the possibility of rehabiliation. Once again, the possibility of an utter lapse in judgement, reason or self-control and innocence justify the Canadian system's choice to not enforce full life sentences with no possiblities of parole or rehabiliation.

That's logical. Think about it for a while and if you're still unmoved, present a proper argument for the harsh justice you seem to believe in.

As for this shocking event - as disturbing as it is - I truly hope the Canadian media and populace can get past this as quickly and as calmly as possible. It's unjust and maddening when the lives of specific individuals (i.e. soldiers, hockey players, this bus beaheading victim) get all the headlines while tens of thousands+ die from various causes every day and are all but ignored by the media in such powerful, free and supposedly pleasant countries as Canada. Just because certain loss of life may be cyclical, perpetual and distant doesn't make it any less significant. It is utterly astonishing how many people don't understand nor care about this simple truth.

Edited by illz55

That's a pretty common misbelief - thinking that criminals who are insane somehow 'get off easy'. They don't.

OT - this is a crazy and sad story. Hard to imagine what it would be like to be on that bus.

@illz55 - if you knowingly and in full conscience/awareness take someone's life, my opinion is that you forfeit your own. Also, you're telling that guy to come up with an argument, but your own is very convoluted and confusing (the bit in the second paragraph, anyways). You don't seem to have presented an argument as to why CP shouldn't be allowed in cases of clear-cut homicide. But this is a discussion for another thread.

-Spenser

Edited by stifler6478

That's a pretty common misbelief - thinking that criminals who are insane somehow 'get off easy'. They don't.

OT - this is a crazy and sad story. Hard to imagine what it would be like to be on that bus.

@illz55 - if you knowingly and in full conscience/awareness take someone's life, my opinion is that you forfeit your own. Also, you're telling that guy to come up with an argument, but your own is very convoluted and confusing (the bit in the second paragraph, anyways). You don't seem to have presented an argument as to why CP shouldn't be allowed in cases of clear-cut homicide. But this is a discussion for another thread.

-Spenser

While it is true that such a debate requires far more writing and discussion, I will give one more reply.

To clarify my argument in the second paragraph, I believe that each and every human being is capable of murder. Maybe not cold-blooded, but certainly hot-blooded homicide. Hot-blooded murder can often be an utter lapse in judgement, reason or mental stability. Thus, everyone deserves either a second chance (as with the current Canadian justice system) or proper institution if they are abnormaly unstable or insane. For the cases in which the murder is cold-blooded and/or the suspect fully confesses to the act and shows no remorse or guilt, I believe the medical establishment considers such people to be at least somewhat abnormal if not fully insane. Thus, killing them is not truly the answer. Instead, trying to learn more about such abnormal people is the best course of action, as we should do in special institutions for such murderers.

Finally, even if the death penalty were to be used only in clear-cut cases such as this one, what would be the ultimate purpose of ending this person's life? If you think it would actually discourage such behaviour in others, you are most certainly wrong. I won't explain why because, as you mentioned, it would probably not be best to expand upon these matters further in this thread.

Edited by illz55

You, sir, are foolish. If you use logic and think about the death penalty, you will see how much of a paradox it is. Voting as a large collective to murder fellow citizens whom the court adjudges to be murderers themselves is a Catch-22. If you convict just one innocent person and they are killed, ALL of you voting citizens who were in favour of said death penalty must now face the same sentence. And no, killing by proxy, is not more ethical than doing it with your own hands (see Charlie Manson).

Now, I know you might say that in cases such as this one, there is no possibility of the murderer being innocent. However, how many clear-cut cases do you think any justice system in any country sees per year? Ergo, instead of killing a few dozen insane folks via the death penalty, there are mental institutions and sanitariums for them. If not, there are other very severe punishments, even in Canada, where there is no life sentence without the possibility of rehabiliation. Once again, the possibility of an utter lapse in judgement, reason or self-control and innocence justify the Canadian system's choice to not enforce full life sentences with no possiblities of parole or rehabiliation.

That's logical. Think about it for a while and if you're still unmoved, present a proper argument for the harsh justice you seem to believe in.

As for this shocking event - as disturbing as it is - I truly hope the Canadian media and populace can get past this as quickly and as calmly as possible. It's unjust and maddening when the lives of specific individuals (i.e. soldiers, hockey players, this bus beaheading victim) get all the headlines while tens of thousands+ die from various causes every day and are all but ignored by the media in such powerful, free and supposedly pleasant countries as Canada. Just because certain loss of life may be cyclical, perpetual and distant doesn't make it any less significant. It is utterly astonishing how many people don't understand nor care about this simple truth.

Death row inmates usually spend about 10 years waiting to be executed, in which they have numerous chances to make appeals.

If they're not successful making appeals in that 10 year period they'll likely be spending their whole life in a prison cell, without parole, whether they're guilty or innocent. I'm not sure if you were sentenced for murdering and you were 85 years old in a prison you would really say you preferred that over being executed years ago.

I don't have a strong belief on the death penalty either way, but I think its not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be. Everyone dies eventually. You're not the cause of that, you're the cause of their life being cut short. But cutting someone's life short versus having them spend 50+ years in a prison cell is not as simple a decision as you want to make it out to be. Which is really the harsher judgment?