N64 has worse graphics than SNES

thealexweb

N64 is defiantly better!

afusion

Hope they release Live and Reloaded on Xbox Originals,

btw I had a Mega Drive since 1992 and of all the consoles that came and went I bought the N64 in 1997 w/ Starfox 64. I was wowed in amazement at the time.

madd-hatter

This thread should have been locked and deleted.

Stupidity is mildly contagious and we are looking at a severe outbreak here.

Massiveterra

When I saw the cut scenes in Ninja Gaiden (nes) for the first time, I thought graphics could never get better than this!

notuptome2004

pogo or what ever your name is look you canot compare ever a N64 tech based game with somthing PS2 tech or Xbox Tech cause it simply will not compute as the N64 tech was in production Development stages in 1994 compared to Ps2 Development in 1999 and 2000 for the Xbox so big difference in years and improvements in Tech that they use,

Now for Pearson who posted about he never owned a N64 and well playstation basicly ruled the world dude go get one now and play 007 goldan eye and Perfect dark for it so bad ass the 64 was for those games specially perfected dark in the graphics department the N64 had the PS beat in the graphics department by big long shots the only thing that made the PS a more dominate system for Developers was it was CD based system not cartridge tho activision needs some credit on the N64 version of RE-2 as they improved the graphics out of the box and then with the 8meg expansion pack made it evan better and the fact they was able to bring more detail out of it and keep the FMVs in tact albit a tad grainy was damn good . here is a link i found showing the N64 aprt and all the detailed info on the system very in depth oh i for got Qauke and quake 2 on the n64 looked hella better then the PS version

http://n64.icequake.net/

Xeta
Seriously? I'm so not getting a Nintendo 64 now :angry:

HA!

Yeah, Perfect Dark was a great N64 shooter. Goldeneye as well, although they were kinda clones of each other made by the same company. Perfect Dark was basically a sequel to Goldeneye without the 007 IP.

I go back to it on occasion and am quickly reminded how graphics have progressed in 10 years.

Smigit
of course unless anyone knows about a 2D game for the N64!

1stly I'll say you seem to be on crack

2ndly theres plenty. Off my head Yoshi's Story comes to mind. Not the best platformer ever, but it did look pretty nice in the day. I think it's on the Wii Store too.

shakey_snake

The N64's major limitation was the fact that it had so little RAM.

No software designer even used the 64-bit registers because of this (64bit data = "half" as much available memory).

The fact that cartridges had limited storage compared to CD's in the PS1 really wasn't even that big of a deal since the n64's RAM held so little at one time, all the textures had to be shrunk down, anyways.

----------------------------------

However, if you really want to compare the n64 to the SNES, you should try comparing two 3D games, like Starfox and Starfox64. The N64 pwns, in such a comparison.

-----------------------------------------

WTF? Who cares now?
It was really these limitations in the n64 which led Nintendo down the path of "casual"-type gaming that it has now fully (and confusingly to some) embraced with the Wii.
spenser.d

Is this thread for real?

-Spenser

+warwagon
crashfj9.gif
shakey_snake
of course unless anyone knows about a 2D game for the N64!

Paper Mario? :p

Of course, Paper Mario's distinctive graphical style was created to work around the RAM limits of the n64 system.

name in use

I am a sony guy, but I loved N64 for some reason. Maybe it was because of Perfect Dark and Mario Party.

~WinGz~

I love and still own both systems and actually play them more then my ps3.

oops i went off topic ;)

MaJoR

Even thought he SNES is sharper because of the N64 filtering, it should be noted that that SNES and N64 were stretched to the same size on a 480i TV. So in the end they were BOTH blurry and messy, but in the end it depended on screen size. A smaller screen would show the sharper nature of the SNES, while the filtering of the N64 eased the fuzz on a large screen.

HD ftw! I have been a PC gamer for ages just because I hate the low resolutions of consoles. Thank goodness this gen has made progress in that!

Edited by MaJoR
MrKuro

intersting logic, but crap

two entirely different platforms, with two entirely different ways of rendering gfx

both can produce beautiful art/gameplay when tapped to their fullest. I still love both of those systems, and play them all the time (emulated, with AA/AF and upscaling)

Reacon

007 The World Is Not Enough, Perfect Dark, and Donkey Kong 64 were all childhood classics for me. Priceless. I played Goof Troopers on the SNES when I was 3 lol.

DELTETHISACCOUNT
when did the expansion pack for n64 come out? that widen and upgraded the technology a bit.

ROFL, it just added 4MB of RAM. Hardly an upgrade.

The Teej
ROFL, it just added 4MB of RAM. Hardly an upgrade.

Actually doubling the RAM meant higher resolution textures, or better yet, higher video resolutions (640x480, compared to the standard 320x240). For the day, it was actually a bloody good upgrade.

DELTETHISACCOUNT
Actually doubling the RAM meant higher resolution textures, or better yet, higher video resolutions (640x480, compared to the standard 320x240). For the day, it was actually a bloody good upgrade.

Yeeeeah, but I left that little tidbit out on purpose so that it sounded bad. :laugh:

paganinio

The OP is back, this time with some improved opnions.

However, if you really want to compare the n64 to the SNES, you should try comparing two 3D games, like Starfox and Starfox64. The N64 pwns, in such a comparison.

It was really these limitations in the n64 which led Nintendo down the path of "casual"-type gaming that it has now fully (and confusingly to some) embraced with the Wii.

I absolutely agree with you on the Starfox versus Star Fox 64 thing.?

I absolutely had as much fun with Star Fox 64 as I did with Halo, > even though Halo had much better graphics. Perfect Dark is unparalleled and even surpasses Halo. I guess I just have to find the right genres for me.?

Casual gaming has nothing to do with lesser graphics or technology. You can make a Nintendog with MGS4 technology (Solid Dog, Old Do:shiftyninja:a: ), and it's still a casual game. Casual games simply have less violence, IMHO.

also, Nintendo down the path of casual?? Zelda and Samus won't be happy to hear this. They are for the most hardcore gamers ever.:shifty:ty:

I love and still own both systems and actually play them more then my ps3.

oops i went off topi;);)

No you brought up a good point. Graphics aren't that important. But it is extreme to play N64 more than PS3 in 2008.

Best games were perfect dark 64, and blast corps:D:D

Am I reading my own reply:laugh:h:

Matrix XII

Oh man, Star Fox 64 was just unbelievable!

4 player death match FTW!!

Coldgunner

the expansion pack made the world of difference, my favourite game, Rogue Squadron looked ace, as did EP1 Racer.

iZoom

I'm honestly surprised this thread wasn't locked. It has no useful information or discussion.

fail_boat.jpg

]SK[
picard-no-facepalm.jpg