Large Hadron Collider pics

i know it's huge and can accelerate individual particles really fast but.....we already have machines that do that. so is this thing really such a big deal?

i know it's huge and can accelerate individual particles really fast but.....we already have machines that do that. so is this thing really such a big deal?

the LHC can accelerate them even faster with more energy, more energy = more interesting results.

I've worked with the military and our group was one of the teams sent into "enclosed areas" to retrieve volatile materials or recover dead bodies. We had to wear very heavy duty gear and the oxygen tanks those "firemen" are wearing in the above photo last at most 30 minutes, with 20 minutes usage under physical exertion. I think those firemen were seeing how fast they could actually drive away from a malfunction, because 20-30 minutes of oxygen only gets you killed in a massive structure such as the LHC if a problem occurs.

Edited by AKladis

Heh. How would you like to wake up in the morning, look out your window, and see that ATLAS endcap being wheeled down the road right next to you :p

This thing is a wicked piece of equipment and a ridiculous scientific and engineering feat. I can't wait for it to go online and I hope it gets results.

-Spenser

It must be fatigue or something, but reading fast I saw : Large Hardon Collision.... :whistle:

Oh well... vivid imagination here.

no actually, that is how everyone reads it

seriously..... and we all giggle inside

this is a really big step forward. it's good that after all the delays it's actually going to start operating.

over the next few years we should get some REALLY interesting findings out of this.

Prepare for unforseen consequences. :shifty:

Yup, that's what he told me too :rofl: .

Scirwode

LOL it's terrifying that that page won't open!

If they can't work a website... :huh:

because the two fields would be remotely relevant, right? :rolleyes:

Is this the thing that could potential make a black hole? If so we're screwed.

It might possibly create MICRO black holes; but there's nothing new about that. They'd only exist for a few microseconds at most before evaporating.