Large Hadron Collider pics

Laura
Interesting pictures, so is it true that if this blows up then a black hole would form and the Earth would be gone? Not sure if they can prove that so not sure about it.

They have a load of safety stuff in place with the aim of stopping the machine should anything go wrong.

I have read mixed views about the black hole scaremongering. The general consensus amongst those who know what they are talking about is that it won't happen. Now obviously the scientists are biased, they want to do their experiment, but I'm sure they like being alive as much as the rest of us.

Rob2687

It's time we all invested in some crowbars.

1220360595652ui5.jpg

Windows7even

1220360595652ui5.jpg

epic!

shockz

lhc25.jpg

9 Billion and being one of the most advanced structures in the world... they can't even get a decent computer monitor.

Windows7even
lhc25.jpg

9 Billion and being one of the most advanced structures in the world... they can't even get a decent computer monitor.

bet shes playing half-life....dont you know that crts are still better for gaming you silly rabbit!

wst50

Right. That google logo settles it. I am going to have to make a 'Large Coffee Colider' coffee/milk/sugar mixer now. I've wanted to make one for ages.

Fred Derf

This doesn't directly relate to personal computers so...

[Thread Moved from BPN to Science]

TheNay

It's not full power till next year, i'll wait then and see if the black hole happens, lol, til then party!

Azusa

now the question remains how can we weaponize it?

Damo R.

1220360595652ui5.jpg

Oh noes!

I never realised playing half life would get me ready for the future!

Damo R.
image5wp0.png

Can I get my games faster now?

brentaal

If you view the source, it gets better :D

<!-- if the lhc actually destroys the earth & this page isn't yet updated
please email mike@frantic.org to receive a full refund -->

and

<script type="text/javascript">
if (!(typeof worldHasEnded == "undefined")) {
document.write("YUP.");
} else {
document.write("NOPE.");
}
</script>

raskren
<snip!>

Why did you post this seemingly random picture?

Dysphoria

Apparently most of the youngsters here do not understand some of the theories thrown out there against the LHC's big bang experiment.

Just switching the power on would not make the world disappear. So far they've been firing protons in two different directions and they've been recalibrating the LHC.

I really laugh at the ignorance of all these people throwing out websites Big Bang experiment started and nothing happened.

The main experiment,which is creating the actual Black Hole would not happen for another couple of years at least...

One of the possible problems here is: "Can we really control the black hole if it's ever created?" Is not an explosion that will do the damage, but the actual antimatter... One of the theories is that the universe was created from that Big Bang and a Black Hole the size of a 25 cents coin, that was created as a result of the Big Bang. Scientists have never had anything like this to play around with, so all arguments and counter arguments are just theoretical. So everyone saying that this is 100% safe is just full of "Cr**"

Keep in mind that after a certain time they have to turn off the LHC and cool down the pipes so they keep everything safe...

There are quite a few variables that can go wrong, and one of them "Human Error" is the one that scares me the most...

Although chances of anything going wrong are quite slim, there are still there...

Cheers

The_Decryptor

They've already been sent a few.