Should I Buy a Blue Ray Player?

True HD content will always look better than upscaled content. You need to visually view the difference on sets that size and resolution to see if it warrants the price. If you are going to go with a BD player, you should (without a doubt) get a PS3. Its the most cost effective and future proof player out. It also plays video games.

As far as audio goes, you will get much better sound from a BD player. You'll need a receiver / home theater system to appreciate that though.

My honest opinion: no. I see a great difference on a larger TV like a 42 or greater. If you decide you MUST have Blu-Ray, I would go with a PS3. They're roughly the same price.

My honest opinion: no. I see a great difference on a larger TV like a 42 or greater. If you decide you MUST have Blu-Ray, I would go with a PS3. They're roughly the same price.

You'll see a difference in 720p. You might not tell the difference between 720p/1080p on a smaller set, but that doesn't matter for the purchase of an HD player, that is for specs of a TV and what you want to buy.

i have a 60in HDTV, there is a bigger difference the larger the set / higher rez.

for a price standpoint i would recomend the PS3, i got one and only use it for movies ( i dont play games on it, i have a 360 for that )

for the Price of the PS3 you have a Guaranteed Compatible Blue-Ray Player, Alot of Blue-Ray sets out there are not always Compatible with every Disk/BR format

I bought my PS3 mostly for Blu-ray and it doesn't disappoint. Wish the Blu-ray discs would drop towards DVD levels tough. 30 euros a movie is too much (20 for the crap ones).

no reason to buy a standalone blu ray player, a ps3 costs the same is practically future proof (firmware) and has at least a 40GB hard drive....it can be a media center,

And even if you never ever want to you have the ability to play games.

so i just thought of something..should i get a PS3 to use as a blu ray player? :ninja:

I guess thats the way that I'll go. And i already do have a somewhat home theater audio setup, i just need to grab a center channel and a sub.

The PS3 is easily the best Blu Ray player, but personally I'd avoid it if you can, get an AppleTV, or something equal that will let you stream content from your computer to your tv. I have a pretty big library of tv shows, and movies, in hd if available. Not only is watching shows quicker than having to get up and put a disc in. But you can jump between movies, no worry about losing discs, and my favorite, if you watch a lot of tv shows, you don't have to switch through a bunch of discs just for 1 season.

If you have a good digital collection, or can at least make one, I'd advise going digital. However there are drawbacks if you really want the "most hd" blu ray will give you crisper sound and video. Not that you can't get it digitally, but it takes up quite a lot of space.

The only drawback of the PS3 is that their is no IR sensor as it only has bluetooth so that means universal remotes won't work with the PS3. You will have to use the game controller if you don't mind that or buy the sony bluetooth remote.

Get a PS3 but wait till they remove the 40g SKU and only have the 80g SKU priced at what the 40g currently costs, I think its going to happen towards the end of August/beginning of September.

you can Stream HD content with the PS3 also, the Apple TV i would not recomend as unless his Computer has a HD/BR Drive, hes left out of the Physical Area as the Apple TV is Digital Only, and will not do the Full range of HD ( Limited to 720p ) it will play 1080 but will downscale it to 720

The PS3 is easily the best Blu Ray player, but personally I'd avoid it if you can, get an AppleTV, or something equal that will let you stream content from your computer to your tv.

PS3 is basically a media entertainment console that can do everything you want with movies and the like as well as play the latest games out there.

Xbox 360 is the same thing. However, the Blu Ray addon is not out yet. >_<

I would go with the PS3. You can even upgrade its HD easily.

you can Stream HD content with the PS3 also

I completely forgot about medialink, which I used daily.. Great program, but streaming mp4 videos is choppy as of late. PS3 can't store HD videos 4GB+ though.

PS3 is basically a media entertainment console that can do everything you want with movies and the like as well as play the latest games out there.

Xbox 360 is the same thing. However, the Blu Ray addon is not out yet. >_<

I would go with the PS3. You can even upgrade its HD easily.

Everything I've read says PS3 is what I should buy. :yes:

Yeah the PS3 is a great choice (not talking so much about games now .. that's another fanboy-ism subject to get into in other threads ;)) however you may want to hold off for another month or so. New 80GB SKUs are replacing the 40GB SKUs in about a month time. (Worldwide)

I believe that it not only includes a 80GB HDD but also a DualShock3 controller .. but I'm not sure..

I completely forgot about medialink, which I used daily.. Great program, but streaming mp4 videos is choppy as of late. PS3 can't store HD videos 4GB+ though.

Actually it can.

The filesystem on the PS3 has no limits on file size.

The issue to do with 4GB is because the PS3 can't read from any external sources that are in NTFS, only FAT32. Due to that it's not possible to put a file bigger than 4GB on a FAT32 drive as we know, therefore you can't transport files over 4GB through a usb drive.

You can use a DL DVD, or copy the file through your Home network using TVersity onto your PS3 hard drive though, if the file is greater than 4GB.

I do that - My PS3 and PC are wired to my router, so it only takes about 5-10 mins to copy 4GB+ files to my PS3. However most of the time I just plain and simply stream the video files, seeing as being wired at both ends means 720p/1080p content can stream without any lag.

The guide in my sig shows you how to play HD content on your PS3, and transfer/stream over your home network.

Don't buy a PS3, let them get their act together first!

There are lots of player half the prize of a PS3.

enlighten me, can you point me to a profile 1.1< player for half the price of a ps3?

I have seen a few offers recently for free BD players when buying an HD TV. Mostly with Sony TV's (no surprise there!) rather than the LG model you are looking at here...

If BD is really important to you then get one or a PS3 if not then get a cheap DVD player that can upscale the content.

enlighten me, can you point me to a profile 1.1< player for half the price of a ps3?

Actually they are coming down in price now - http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_...gory_oid=-33018

# Version 1.1 (V2.0 Ready) - Special features

However the PS3 is proven as a high end player, completely future proof, has awesome DVD scaling, can be used as a media server and now has a movie store for rental (all features related to movies).

If gaming interests you, that's a plus.

If money is tight though, you might just opt for a standalone.