• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Should I Buy a Blue Ray Player?

Coldgunner    12
Actually they are coming down in price now - http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/store/dix_...gory_oid=-33018

However the PS3 is proven as a high end player, completely future proof, has awesome DVD scaling, can be used as a media server and now has a movie store for rental (all features related to movies).

If gaming interests you, that's a plus.

If money is tight though, you might just opt for a standalone.

fair enough, however the OP may as well put in the extra ?70 for what is a more versatile machine

-T-    671

Get a Ps3, as a console it's meh, but as a media centre I've no complaints about it at all.

Well native mkv support would be good but c'est la vie

Coldgunner    12
Get a Ps3, as a console it's meh, but as a media centre I've no complaints about it at all.

Well native mkv support would be good but c'est la vie

mkv2vob, takes like 30 seconds. do the conversion then get rid of the original to save space.

goodcase    5

Is the PS3 loud when its operating?

Coldgunner    12

not really, its pretty quiet. The newer 40gb models are even more quiet.

Boz    1,324

on 32" TV if you are sitting at 5-6 feet from it you will absolutely not see a different between BD and DVD upscaled content. You might see HD advantage if you really come close to the TV.

You may want to try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-XD-E500-Upco...6140&sr=8-2

It's even better then regular DVD upscaled discs. You don't want to get it on Amazon though because MSRP is $149.99, Amazon is charging $30 extra for some reason. The player just came out so it will most likely be sold for about $100-$120 in a few weeks. I think it's perfect for you as it uses regular cheap DVDs, improves the quality of them beyond regular upscaling and will look great on 32" TV from a normal viewing distance. You will not see the difference.

If you really MUST have Blu-Ray, it's pretty clear as everyone already told you, PS3 is the most future proof player, though Sony's new BD-350 standalone is pretty good and cheaper then PS3.

Is the PS3 loud when its operating?

Depends where you put it. if it's in any enclosed environment (like an AV rack) it will be very loud as the fans will work overtime, but if you keep it in the completely open area it will be pretty quiet.

+Audioboxer    2,876

I'd recommend highly AGAINST shelling out $180 for a DVD player.

Get a BR player, future proof for HD content, and BR players can upscale DVDs to 1080p anyway.

You will notice a difference between a proper HD source and an SD source upscaled.

tsupersonic    1,834

What is a "Blue" Ray player? :huh:

;)

Boz    1,324
I'd recommend highly AGAINST shelling out $180 for a DVD player.

Get a BR player, future proof for HD content, and BR players can upscale DVDs to 1080p anyway.

The player is $149.99.. and is in the price range of regular upscaling brand name DVD players.. And it will be even less in a couple of weeks, it's pretty sure it will be about $100-$120. It will make DVDs look even better and definitely look superb on his 32" TV.

$500 for a Blu-Ray player is something that not everyone can afford not to mention $25-$30 movies, so please, when someone asks for advice, try to give a reality check instead of your wishful fanboy thinking.

+Audioboxer    2,876
The player is $149.99.. and is in the price range of regular upscaling brand name DVD players.. And it will be even less in a couple of weeks, it's pretty sure it will be about $100-$120. $500 for a Blu-Ray player is something that not everyone can afford not to mention $25-$30 movies, so please, when someone asks for advice, try to give a reality check instead of your wishful thinking.

Just giving my opinion.

If you've invested in a HD TV, I'd buy an HD player and use it to play your HD and SD content.

You can get players for less than $500, and I know it's not something everyone can afford - However the original poster has given clear indication it's a possibility so I'm not putting them in the "clearly can't afford" category.

The PS3 is $400

And standalone players range from 200+

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_57365..._rd_i=193640011

So I don't even know where you pulled $500 from.

Boz    1,324
You will notice a difference between a proper HD source and an SD source upscaled.

Unless he's sitting 2 feet from 32" TV, he will not see the difference. The difference is really noticeable on TVs 37-40" and above.

+Audioboxer    2,876
Unless he's sitting 2 feet from 32" TV, he will not see the difference. The difference is really noticeable on TVs 37-40" and above.

So you're going to say that's 100% fact for every movie, and every TV under 37"'s?

Upscaled standard definition content does not = Native high definition content.

The difference will be smaller on smaller TVs, but to run around saying someone won't see any difference at all, fact, is just being a tad ignorant.

HawkMan    5,232
As far as audio goes, you will get much better sound from a BD player. You'll need a receiver / home theater system to appreciate that though.

While BD has better audio encoded on the disk, You're very unlikely to notice any real difference from a good DVD and a good BD on a good surround system, much less one that's not so good :)

Nodiaque    14

If you have a pc near with a HD compliant vcard, I would suggest buying a BR drive for 50$. I have that and it read everything very well. Also, for the compliant part, if they really make an upgrade that can't be played later on that drive, someone will release a firmware that upgrade that. I've had my hd dvd/BR reader since the beginning, LG one, and never had a problem. If you someone start having a problem, just cash another 30-40$ for software like AnyHDDVD which will remove any region and protection like crappy BD+, which is legal to use, and you won't have any trouble reading any disk. Even cashing that extra bucks, you still end costing far less then any BR player, including a PS3. Honestly, if you can wait, I would wait. Future of HD is streaming and SD Card (flash memory). In less then a year, it will make a very hard push against BR and with some hope, it won't be region lock and have stupid protection.

As for ps3 having a good upscaling of dvd, I don't say agree on that. I have a dvd recorder that upscale in 1080p and it's doing a far better job then ps3 on upscaling.

As for sound, you will notice difference since dvd are dolby digital and br are True HD. You will notice difference if your home theater support the sound decoding and that your are connected for it (optical).

Boz    1,324
Just giving my opinion.

If you've invested in a HD TV, I'd buy an HD player and use it to play your HD and SD content.

You can get players for less than $500, and I know it's not something everyone can afford - However the original poster has given clear indication it's a possibility so I'm not putting them in the "clearly can't afford" category.

The PS3 is $400

And standalone players range from 200+

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_57365..._rd_i=193640011

So I don't even know where you pulled $500 from.

There are no Blu-Ray players 200+.. the cheapest ones are $350+ and they are not even fully featured. PS3 is $400 as the 40gb is discontinued and the real Blu-Ray player that is Profile 2.0 is $500+. Old catalog titles on Blu-Ray discs are for the most part between $20-$30 which is an absolute ripoff and finally it's still not even certain that Blu-Ray will survive so saying that he MUST buy a Blu-Ray player is just fans trying to push declining sales of Blu-Ray in desperation that Blu-Ray will take off.

Posting $200 price for a clearance player or open box is not what I call real price either.

For the TV he has, he will be absolutely fine with upscaled DVD. Considering that Blu-Ray will HAVE TO drop the price to <$200 soon enough if they want to survive, he is better off riding cheap DVD players <$150 now and wait until these insane Blu-Ray prices come to reality. If they don't, Blu-Ray will remain a niche market and will not have full catalog of movies as DVD. So in ANY case, he will be better off trying out both and deciding for himself and playing it smart.

Get these new DVD upscalers for dirt cheap (from $70-$140) and compare them in your everyday viewing with Blu-Ray player and evaluate whether or not you really see a difference in quality and whether or not it's worth 3-4 times the price of DVD and this includes the BD discs.

DaDude    46

Why is everyone here recommending a PS3 over a standalone Blu-Ray player? A PS3 is a video game system and should only be used for games. Playing Blu-ray discs on them will just wear and tear your $400 system. If you want to watch Blu-ray movies, buy a standalone player at half the cost.

kak    0

Boz is back to push the next Toshiba product that will fail. Funny how they're pushing "almost HD" for a higher price tag than they were pushing an HD player. It also uses Edge Enhancement to sharpen the picture, which is hardly HD. Heck, it makes the picture look worse in most cases. The unit also won't "upscale" the sound. You are still stuck with low-end Dolby Digital sound. Save your $150+ and invest it into something a little more practical.

+Audioboxer    2,876
There are no Blu-Ray players 200+.. the cheapest ones are $350+ and they are not even fully featured. PS3 is $400 as the 40gb is discontinued and the real Blu-Ray player that is Profile 2.0 is $500+. Old catalog titles on Blu-Ray discs are for the most part between $20-$30 which is an absolute ripoff and finally it's still not even certain that Blu-Ray will survive so saying that he MUST buy a Blu-Ray player is just fans trying to push declining sales of Blu-Ray in desperation that Blu-Ray will take off.

Posting $200 price for a clearance player or open box is not what I call real price either.

For the TV he has, he will be absolutely fine with upscaled DVD. Considering that Blu-Ray will HAVE TO drop the price to <$200 soon enough if they want to survive, he is better off riding cheap DVD players <$150 now and wait until these insane Blu-Ray prices come to reality. If they don't, Blu-Ray will remain a niche market and will not have full catalog of movies as DVD. So in ANY case, he will be better off trying out both and deciding for himself and playing it smart.

Get these new DVD upscalers for dirt cheap (from $70-$140) and compare them in your everyday viewing with Blu-Ray player and evaluate whether or not you really see a difference in quality and whether or not it's worth 3-4 times the price of DVD and this includes the BD discs.

Boz, the new vanilla 80GB PS3 replacing the 40GB is $399. ( http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/15/sony-ann...be-399-in-sept/ )

The MGS4 bundle is $499.

The PS3 has been profile 2.0 compliant for a while.

As for everything else, your opinion on upscaled DVDs, the topic poster can make what he wants of it.

Why is everyone here recommending a PS3 over a standalone Blu-Ray player? A PS3 is a video game system and should only be used for games. Playing Blu-ray discs on them will just wear and tear your $400 system. If you want to watch Blu-ray movies, buy a standalone player at half the cost.

Wear and tear?

What?

It's a BR player made to play games AND movies.

However yes, you can get profile 2.0 BR players for less than the PS3 now. At least in the UK anyway. I proved that a few pages back to Coldgunner.

Coldgunner    12

I don't know about anyone else, but I sit about 6ft from a 26'' screen and I can tell the difference between HD and SD. either that or I just got good eyesight.

@Boz, judging by the OP, he wants to upgrade to proper HD, not some psuedoHD.

Might as well build up the bluray library now rather than have to replace everything in a few years.

Boz    1,324
Boz is back to push the next Toshiba product that will fail. Funny how they're pushing "almost HD" for a higher price tag than they were pushing an HD player. It also uses Edge Enhancement to sharpen the picture, which is hardly HD. Heck, it makes the picture look worse in most cases. The unit also won't "upscale" the sound. You are still stuck with low-end Dolby Digital sound. Save your $150+ and invest it into something a little more practical.

You really have no clue about what you are discussing here.. try to educate yourself about the technology before posting your opinions and I'm not backing up Toshiba, I'm just saying that he doesnt' have to get a Blu-Ray player on 32" TV and pay $400+ and $20-$30 discs just to gain quality that he can't see. Pretty much 97% of the market agrees with me on this. You are one of the many fanboys who sees nothing wrong with the Blu-Ray pricing.

Btw, he can get a great DVD upscaling player for $70, so either way he will be better off just waiting. I recommended Toshiba new XDE player because it provides a great picture even better then just regular upscaling for the price of regular DVD upscalers. Toshiba is also known to have the BEST upscaling in the industry so it's a win win for what he NEEDS.

His question was Should I Buy A Blu-Ray player? since he has a 32" TV

My advice is not.. he can stick with DVD upscalers and several times the price as he will not see a difference at all unless he's 2 feet from the TV which I really doubt.

When he gets a TV 40"+ he might want to consider Blu-ray player, at which time it will be <$200 and probably sub $20 for the discs if it survives that long.

Coldgunner    12

Erm, for a 32'' TV, he's hardly gonna need a top of the line upscaler?

HawkMan    5,232

Wow, are you just trying to sound like the biggest ..... on the forum or is that just how you are ? how about using real arguments in an argument and not just throw insults and crap.

And again, while there is better sound on BD it's nowhere near enough to upgrade for. Most likely you won't even notice the difference. In fatc I'd wager you yourself woudn't be able to notice the difference between DVD DTS or DD/AC3 sound and BD on a blind test of an actual movie. YEah sure on Audio demoes specifically created to show of the advances in the new audio algoriths, you ight otice it, but in an Actual movie, unlikely.

PJDev    0

I agree with Coldgunner.

HawkMan    5,232
Erm, for a 32'' TV, he's hardly gonna need a top of the line upscaler?

and he's hardly going to need BD :)

Ajapi    2

The reason everybody is recommending PS3 over standalone players is simple: it's the best. Not only is it the most feature-rich, but it's upgradeable firmware makes it futureproof. It also hosts a plethora of media center capacities that standalones can't even begin to compete with. The price isn't bad either; you'd be hard pressed to find a similar-quality player for less than $400 (which is what the PS3 costs).