"Bob's Game" - A game by one person

If you're a friend of Robert Pelloni and you're wondering why you haven't seen him for half a decade, here's why. Bob's Game, a title we'll assume is tentative for now, is a top down 2D adventure game built over the course of five years by a single person. Yes, one (obviously mad) developer is responsible for the programming, art, music, story and script required to bring Bob's Game to life.

According to the developer, the homebrew title is a simple adventure game, an RPG-lite sans repetitive battles that looks more than a bit Shenmue-esque. You can learn all about it by checking out the annotated version of the above clip at YouTube. Pelloni is currently seeking a publisher and hopefully sunlight.

"bob's game" for Nintendo DS [YouTube - thanks, Matt!]

Source: Kotaku

http://www.bobsgame.com/

Just got to say ... wow.

I can appreciate how much effort he has put in, but even for a single developer that doesn't really seem anything special considering it took 5 years (yes, I realise it's only a DS game, but still). He appears to over-estimate what he's done "possibly the largest single-handedly made game ever" - and then he mentions games being made by hundreds of people... sure some games are, but not DS games, they're usually made by around 7-12 people in a year or less.

Urban Empires on the other hand, now that really does look great. (made by a single developer in under 4 years)

Edited by James123

5 years? One assumes he started this on another platform, the DS has only been around for just over 4 years, and even then, there wasn't homebrew from the get go...

5 years? One assumes he started this on another platform, the DS has only been around for just over 4 years, and even then, there wasn't homebrew from the get go...

most likely GBA

Seeing that first car go by on the road under the player reminded me of the "nyahh" "nyahh nyahh nyahh" sounds from the Demented Cartoon Movie.

Game looks pretty neat though - I'd play it.