Sony on PS3: You're "paying for potential"

The PS3 will last 10 years on the market, but Sony aren't going to wait 10 years before they introduce the PS4. I think a lot of people get confused over that.

i'm happy with my PS3. I've felt it was totally worth the money.

yeah, I totally agree

also... the PS3 is not that much more expensive than the 60gb xbox360....

in order to get wireless-support an HD-DVD player for the 360.. that's going to run your about another $110 (if not more?). So at the end of the day.. they both cost the same thing.

It's a ?100 price difference over here (and even more if you buy online)

The HD DVD drive is cheap as chips these days and is bundled with movies, but really no point talking about it when the format is dead.

The wireless adapter is expensive but there is alternative solutions.

Fyi, 100.00 GBP = 186.882 USD

And for my standard line when these price arguments surface;

I got an Xbox 360 Premium and an Elite, plus 1 year + A month worth of Gold, a Live vision camera and two games for the price of my PS3 with no extras whatsoever.

And for my standard line when these price arguments surface;

I got an Xbox 360 Premium and an Elite, plus 1 year + A month worth of Gold, a Live vision camera and two games for the price of my PS3 with no extras whatsoever.

WTF is wrong with Denmark's pricing of things? :laugh:

You bought two consoles for cheaper than a PS3, plus all those extras? :blink:

How much did you pay for both sets?

In the UK you can get two arcades for the price of a PS3 (?150 x 2), but that's due to the recent 360 cuts. I know you bought your consoles a while ago.

That's definitely not standard, up until recently the 360 Elite in the UK was only about ?20-40 cheaper I think. Now it's ?60 cheaper. ?240 vs ?300.

You're saying you got a PreANDD an Elite, and all those extras for the price of a PS3? Madness.

In the UK with todays prices all of that for the 360 would cost you,

360: ?240 + ?180 + ?50 (Live vision and 12 months) + ??544>?544?295?295

Online prices taken from shop-to (RRP for each is higher).

So do Sony overcharge, and MS undercharge in Denmark? lol.

Edited by Audioboxer

WTF is wrong with Denmark?

Tell me about it :/

We don't even earn that much more money than our Scandinavian friends, it really is one of the most expensive and odd countries in the world, some things are extremely expensive whilst others super cheap compared to other countries.

Here's an interesting fact; because of the high taxes in Denmark, the environmental taxes, fees, charges and everything included, a car dealer in Denmark would earn more money by giving away his cars for free and telling the costumers only to buy spare parts and have their cars repaired at their own shops.

But the beer and tobacco is cheap, so our town is filled to the brim with swedes buying it :laugh:

God I hate this country.

For the price you mention, that's true - The price was 850$ ... But most places took advantage of the costumers a week in advance and added an extra few hundred dollars. Most places even lied about availability and stock to up the price. I did buy my premium almost a year after launch, so the price had dropped quite a lot - But I got the Elite on launch day. Can't remember the prices of each machine/game I bought, I do remember them matching the price of my PS3.

As I told you, my PS3 cost over ?600 as a Launch console. To be fair though, I did pay a bit more to secure a launch console, but nothing that changes what I said.

I think it has to do with the previous generation, the PS2 was very popular around here and stores made a lot of money off of it, but the Xbox sold like mud most places. So they just took advantage of this and overpriced the PS3 and underpriced the 360 I think.

Tell me about it :/

We don't even earn that much more money than our Scandinavian friends, it really is one of the most expensive and odd countries in the world, some things are extremely expensive whilst others super cheap compared to other countries.

Here's an interesting fact; because of the high taxes in Denmark, the environmental taxes, fees, charges and everything included, a car dealer in Denmark would earn more money by giving away his cars for free and telling the costumers only to buy spare parts and have their cars repaired at their own shops.

But the beer and tobacco is cheap, so our town is filled to the brim with swedes buying it :laugh:

God I hate this country.

For the price you mention, that's true - The price was 850$ ... But most places took advantage of the costumers a week in advance and added an extra few hundred dollars. Most places even lied about availability and stock to up the price.

But to be fair, I did buy my premium almost a year after launch, so the price had dropped quite a lot - But I got the Elite on launch day. Can't remember the prices of each machine/game I bought, I do remember them matching the price of my PS3.

The website I pulled $850 for the PS3 from says the premium was $500.

Therefore I assume the Elite must of been around that, or higher.

I still don't understand how you managed to get bumped on the PS3 that badly though :laugh:

At no point anytime in the UK/Canada/America, even if you use todays prices for the 360 equipment vs the launch price of the PS3, could you have got the 360 stuff cheaper lol.

As above, take the 360 equipment with todays UK online prices

360: ?240 + ?180 + ?50 (Live vision and 12 months) + ?37 x ?5444

Then the PS3 with the RRP UK launch price

?42525

It's still:pess :p

You must of got royally raped with your PS3 from some dodgy shop haha.

As I told you, my PS3 cost over ?600 as a Launch console. To be fair though, I did pay a bit more to secure a launch console, but nothing that changes what I said.

A BIT more? That's an understatement!

?600 is roughly $1200.

If the PS3 retailed in Denmark at $850, why did you spend $35:omore? :o

Edited by Audioboxer

I paid around ?230 for my Premium, ?280 for the Elite and ?80 for a 12 Month Gold + Vision Camera box, plus 2 games ( Think it was Call of Duty 2 and something else. ) Grand total of ?590

My PS3 was over ?600. As I said, most stores upped the price on purpose which they are allowed to, mainly because every single store thought the PS3 would sell like there was no tomorrow. A week passed and it was in stock everywhere and they lowered the price to what's mentioned in the article, to the magic 850$ and below. It was impossible to find an 850$ PS3 on launch.

EDIT: 850$ is around 4,200 Danish Kroner, haha god no. It didn't hit near 4000 kroner umonthss after la:laugh:augh:

You must of got royally raped with your PS3 from some dodgy shop haha.

haha, yeah - at first I thought "damn... how in the world did he manage to get a 360 SO CHEAP??"

but now it seems like the PS3 price was just super jacked :p

I paid around ?230 for my Premium, ?280 for the Elite and ?80 for a 12 Month Gold + Vision Camera box, plus 2 games ( Think it was Call of Duty 2 and something else. ) Grand total of ?590

My PS3 was over ?600. As I said, most stores upped the price on purpose which they are allowed to, mainly because every single store thought the PS3 would sell like there was no tomorrow. A week passed and it was in stock everywhere and they lowered the price to what's mentioned in the article, to the magic 850$ and below. It was impossible to find an 850$ PS3 on launch.

EDIT: 850$ is around 4,200 Danish Kroner, haha god no. It didn't hit near 4000 kroner umonthss after la:laugh:augh:

You got the elite at launch right?

But I got the Elite on launch day.

How'd you get it that cheap? RRP for the UK at launch was ?329.99 I think or it might of been ?299.99, one of the two!

I thought Denmark was suppose to be more expensiv:p#33; :p

?600 is like 6030 kroner, c:|rect? :|

Yes, I got my Elite on the ( EU ) launch, but good question why it was only ?280, but that was the price I paid. It has actually gone up since then. ( Due to high demand and low supply ).

?600 is around 5,600 kroner.

Here's the current list prices on consoles in Denmark, taken directly from "Coolshop", the most popular online shop in Denmark;

PS3 40GB: Not available, no price listed, no updates

PS3 80GB: Launching on 27th of August at a price of ?403

Xbox 360 Core: ?170

Xbox 360 Premium (60GB): ?244

Xbox 360 Elite: ?292

So the prices have obviously changed and looks more like the UK.

Prices in Denmark are extremely likely to fluctuate. Most of them time we do have prices just above the UK market, as we also make more. But sometimes the prices go absolutely mental, specially when stores start competing and stores in Denmark love to take advantage, hence the higher prices. We just have en extremely competitive market which can be seen on the prices. But we are still very expensive in other non-gaming related areas. Come live here a few months/years and you'll know what I:laugh:laugh:

I think he's trying to say "the PS3 has no potential because it has no games" :sleep: which IMO is not very relevant/accurate

If that's the case, he is completely wrong.

Yep. The PS2 is 8 years old and STILL being developed for by the big games companies.

Oh yes ... but .... mod chips ...... slim version ....... there will be potential when I see a slim PS3 and some mod chips or any other way to play copies ...... until then ........ a failure, I'm not happy at all with mine :( .

Oh yes ... but .... mod chips ...... slim version ....... there will be potential when I see a slim PS3 and some mod chips or any other way to play copies ...... until then ........ a failure, I'm not happy at all with mine :( .

is this some kind of joke?? Are you rating a consoles success on how easy it is to play backups?? - lol

Also..have you seen the cost of a blank blu-ray disk? It would cost you more to buy a disk and the burner than to just get the game. So until that reaches a much more accessible price.. you won't be see much of that going on.

And there has been talk about a "slim PS3", but we won't be seeing that for another few years I'm sure.

is this some kind of joke?? Are you rating a consoles success on how easy it is to play backups?? - lol

Also..have you seen the cost of a blank blu-ray disk? It would cost you more to buy a disk and the burner than to just get the game. So until that reaches a much more accessible price.. you won't be see much of that going on.

And there has been talk about a "slim PS3", but we won't be seeing that for another few years I'm sure.

no mate. isn't a joke, is reality in my country (and many more) where the PS2 is the king for that same reason, no other.