'Ethnic minority' children at Olympics ceremony were fake: report

Seriuly the point wasn't to show of kids from all over the country.

it was to show off the varius traditional dresses from across the nation. and somehow I don't think for example the Mongol Nomads would think too highl of sending their kids to the capital city of china for several weeks if not months to train and all that for the ceremony.

I guess the propaganda was right... commies are a bunch of lying cheats.

As opposed to all the western governments that never lie?

Ohh FFS who cares, the show was a great show, why the hell is everyone so bent on making china look bad for the olympics?

Seriuly the point wasn't to show of kids from all over the country.

it was to show off the varius traditional dresses from across the nation. and somehow I don't think for example the Mongol Nomads would think too highl of sending their kids to the capital city of china for several weeks if not months to train and all that for the ceremony.

That wouldn't have been a problem, but they said "Fifty-six children from 56 Chinese ethnic groups cluster around the Chinese national flag, representing the 56 ethnic groups." They're trying to show the "harmony" between these ethnic groups more than the dresses themselves.

Ohh FFS who cares, the show was a great show, why the hell is everyone so bent on making china look bad for the olympics?

wait wait, so China says it's going to do something, LIES about it, and when they get called on it everyone is "bent on making china look bad"??

it is China who is trying to convince the world that it has changed. But when you lie about stuff, it shows your true colors. theirs being red for communism and saying it's ok to censor and lie to everyone in their country to stay in power

I don't think you guys know what the word "represent" means. Representing someone from another region doesn't mean you have to be from there...

The negatives of China are completely blown out of proportion (except the disgusting politics China plays outside of the Olympics).

I don't think you guys know what the word "represent" means. Representing someone from another region doesn't mean you have to be from there...

The negatives of China are completely blown out of proportion (except the disgusting politics China plays outside of the Olympics).

"Fifty-six children from 56 Chinese ethnic groups cluster around the Chinese national flag, representing the 56 ethnic groups,"

yes, you do have to be from there. if i put some chopsticks in your hand, are you representing china? representing has nothing to do with what clothes you wear

and they said that the children where from those ethnic groups

Not from korea's perspective. When koreans came out, chinese audience were loud, rude booed them.

Also china is claiming korea stole their culture but when korean scholoars disprove their theory, china has nothing to to back it up with.

heh heh genesis, if you ask around China you'll get a significant percentage who think Korea and Japan are part of China, and then you'll get to those who claim the entire world.

but that's besides the point. i don't know about these kids, but the 56 nationalities thing is totally made up, who gets to decide what a nationality is? there's probably dozens more, these are political definitions meant to make so-called Han people look like a majority. This is like bunching up Italians, Germans, Irish and Russians under "white" in the US. or the artificial separation of American Indians into convenient "nations". all for political purposes.

heh heh genesis, if you ask around China you'll get a significant percentage who think Korea and Japan are part of China, and then you'll get to those who claim the entire world.

uh.. no mmkay? A lot of people in China believe that Korea used to be in some ways a part of the Chinese empire. They also believe Japan used to be largely uninhabitted, until the first Qin Emperor sent out a bunch of colony ships. I don't know if I agree with the beliefs, but I can understand why these beliefs are there, seeing the commonalities between the cultures. But no one in China will deny that either Japan or Korea is a sovereign nation.

i don't know about these kids, but the 56 nationalities thing is totally made up, who gets to decide what a nationality is? there's probably dozens more, these are political definitions meant to make so-called Han people look like a majority. This is like bunching up Italians, Germans, Irish and Russians under "white" in the US. or the artificial separation of American Indians into convenient "nations". all for political purposes.

Wrong again winner. Do not deny the existence of these different cultures, they were the root of many wars in ancient China. People are classified because they identiy themselves as members of an ethnicity, not because the government says they are.

The 56 ethnicities are free to choose how they live. Some still live traditionally in villages, but the vast majority have adapted to a "normal" life. But these people still receive preferential treatment. My cousin, who is 100% Manchu had to take this university entrance exams a few months ago. He actually receives bonus marks, just for being Manchu. I'm half Han, half Manchu, but registered as Manchu. In these mixed cases the parents decide what they want the child to be.

well you must be busy interviewing every single person in the world who considers themselves Chinese, so i'll keep this shortish.

deny hardcore nationalism in China all you want, it makes no difference, it's alive and kicking. very mainstream and unchallenged, unlike in other societies. I'd say encouraged even - where you outside Guo Mao in Beijing April 2005 for the anti-Japan demos? did you see the "no Japanese customers" signs on restaurants? a huge portion of the people in the mainland firmly believe Korea, Japan, Singapore and Vietnam are part of China, but i'm not a census taker like you so it's hard for me to confirm this bold claim.

funny how you think - i never said anything about ethnicities in China being mistreated, that's all you.

i just said the 56 number is fiction, there's many more that are not recognized. i also made it clear this is not specific to China, many nations play the ethnicity game as suits them. but your non-biased mind apparently glossed over that and switched to "foreigner must not speak of China!" mode.

too bad, we could have kept it civil...winner.