Girl in Fatal Wreck Sent Text Message Moments Before Crash

that's a bit harsh, dont you think? :huh:

If I'm driving and there's a drunk driver passing me, s/he puts my life at risk. It would be the same as a psychopath holding a gun to my head. Does the psychopath deserve to live?

Not really

When you drink and drive is not only your life that's in danger, it's each and every single person (and ocuppants of the vehicles) that you go by on the road.

It's like having faith/luck decide if your an assassin or not

I don't understand you. It's a horrible thing anybody died. Why is sympathy so long forgotten in the face of intoxication? Has society become so angry and unforgiving that just because somebody makes a mistake they're condemned to death? How can that possibly be right?

This mistake was pretty much 100% avoidable. If the girl ever went to school she would have been told over and over and over again that drinking and driving is never a good thing. There are ad campaigns on television and on the Internet. She knew what she was getting into, that she probably shouldn't have done it, but she did it anyway. That's why nobody has sympathy. Plus the fact that she very well could have killed some other people.

Personally, I don't feel that people have the right to put others' lives at risk. If people want to drive drunk on a track, they can go right ahead. By driving on public roads, they are endangering others.

If I'm driving and there's a drunk driver passing me, s/he puts my life at risk. It would be the same as a psychopath holding a gun to my head. Does the psychopath deserve to live?
So we should just kill everyone that puts someone else at risk? C'mon...

I don't have any sympathies for her, Drink, Speed, Texting... what now? She could easily kill innocents out there.

I only have sympathies for the poor family.

It's not the same thing, they deserve to live, but they don't deserve to have a car and/or drive.

LOT, and I said LOT of 16-30yrs have drove drunk many times.

I don't suggest that we go out and kill morons, but if morons kill themselves I won't be shedding a tear.

I wouldn't say people drink driving deserve to die, but I'd say they deserve whatever comes to them.

Whether it's an accident that does end up killing them, or being locked up in jail, ect.

Don't give me that.. oh theres no one sober around.. they have Taxi's in California...

Her parent's could have picked her up. if they cared for their daughter, she could have called them, and it would not have been a problem.

When I eventually have kids, when they turn 16, im gonna tell them.. if you go out and drink.. dont even think about driving, or getting into a vehicle with someone who has drank.. that they would be able to call me at any hour of the night and i'd go pick them up no matter where they are.. if I have to work at 8 am and they call me at 7:59.. looks like i'll be late going to work.. thats just how it is.

ok seriously.. you need a reality check.. Would you rather your parents find out you're drunk, and have to pick you up, and have the possibility of being grounded.. or would you rather your parents find out that you drove your car, drunk, and texting.. then you crash and die..

Which is the best case scenario here?

My mother ALWAYS told me.. "I don't give a S*** what time it is, call me, and i'll go pick you up."

She still tells me to this day.. "If you go out and drink, call me and i'll go get you.. I don't want you drinking and driving." Why? because she doesn't want me killing myself or other people... and you know why else.. because she's a good parent.

+1. My mom/dad would pick me up at any time if i where drunk. Even when i was under drinking age. It was a security to know that they wouldn't be angry on me for drinking but glad that they could help me get home safe.

To be honest I'm amazed at parents who get angry and shocked when they find out that their kids have been drinking under-age. I mean they've been kids aswell and they where probably out drinking themselves when they where kids.

that's exactly what my dad told me, except he added that there would be no consequences for calling him. in fact he told me that on my 16th b-day. he didn't care if i was underage and drinking (he always trusted me to make the right decisions), his only concern was that i didn't drive drunk

note to parents: if you don't trust your kids and treat them like adults, they won't trust you and they won't act like adults. the result is news stories like this

I think that what your dad said to you is the best protection a parent can give. I mean what kid will call home to their parents if they know that as soon as they step into their parents car someone will start screaming at you or being very angry at you. If your parent instead would say "Did you have fun at the party" and add a smile to it i'm guessing the kid wouldn't be afraid to call again.

Offcourse it shouldn't be okay to drink when you aren't allowed but that discussion can be had the day after and in a friendly tone right?;) I believe it would have a bigger impact on the kid.

LOT, and I said LOT of 16-30yrs have drove drunk many times.

Now isn't that extremely sad? And if someone is reading this and knows that they sometimes drink and drive I'm beging you to stop. If not for you then for me, my family, your friends, everyone on this forum and the rest of the 6+ billion people living on this earth.

It's never okay to drink and drive or text and drive. PERIOD

Preuss' mother Kelly said she hopes the accident will make other people think before texting and driving.

Not to mention speeding or driving drunk, or hows about dont give a 16 year old a car?? Or hows about dont give a 16 year old booze. There are more people who should share part responsibility for this.

Sad waste of a young life.

Going to parties and drinking is basically the definition of being social in the real world. I don't mean to insult, but if you don't know that by now perhaps you should get out more. Anyway, driving home when there's nobody sober to drive you (and you don't want to call your parents drunk, for obvious reasons) is basically the only option when you have a 16 year old mind.

I don't understand you. It's a horrible thing anybody died. Why is sympathy so long forgotten in the face of intoxication? Has society become so angry and unforgiving that just because somebody makes a mistake they're condemned to death? How can that possibly be right?

Oh come on, in the real world going to parties and drinking is not everyone's idea of being social and if you don't know that by now perhaps you should get out more. For some people it may be but personally I've never felt the need to drink to be social.

There's a big difference between saying someone doesn't deserve to live and saying we should kill everyone that puts someone else at risk.

Going to parties and drinking is basically the definition of being social in the real world. I don't mean to insult, but if you don't know that by now perhaps you should get out more. Anyway, driving home when there's nobody sober to drive you (and you don't want to call your parents drunk, for obvious reasons) is basically the only option when you have a 16 year old mind.

Its not horrible this person died, they stupidly risked their life and paid for it. If you want to look at all the needless death in the world, this dumbass is way down the list. At some point she would have been warned about drinking and driving, probably about using a mobile while driving and about speeding. Choosing to ignore these 3 simple but life saving bits of advice is stupid, shows a lack of intelligence, a certain amount of arrogance and most of all a lack of respect to other people lives. Basically this 16 year old is no more than a killer, luckily she killed herself rather than anyone else. This was not an accident, dont treat it as such, it was a probable outcome of reckless and dangerous behavior.

Preuss' mother Kelly said she hopes the accident will make other people think before texting and driving.

source

Driving drunk maybe? This kid was NOT disciplined by her parent(s).

Driving drunk maybe? This kid was NOT disciplined by her parent(s).

Yes the parents are partly at fault. A 16 year old with a car is stupid in my books, being allowed to drink at 16 is really stupid but obviously this girl was not mature enough for a car, what would happen if she got home drunk, who gave her the booze, there are a lot of questions.

Yes the parents are partly at fault. A 16 year old with a car is stupid in my books, being allowed to drink at 16 is really stupid but obviously this girl was not mature enough for a car, what would happen if she got home drunk, who gave her the booze, there are a lot of questions.

Who gives a **** if she got home drunk.. the issue is the drinking and driving. it can 100% be avoided. there's 0 need for it.

This mother fails. Her daughter was drunk driving, how about hoping people learn from that mistake, rather than texting (while drunk driving)...

what does the mother have anything to do with it? people make there own decisions, shouldnt blame parents for something YOU do. Its called taking responsibility.

Its not horrible this person died, they stupidly risked their life and paid for it. If you want to look at all the needless death in the world, this dumbass is way down the list. At some point she would have been warned about drinking and driving, probably about using a mobile while driving and about speeding. Choosing to ignore these 3 simple but life saving bits of advice is stupid, shows a lack of intelligence, a certain amount of arrogance and most of all a lack of respect to other people lives. Basically this 16 year old is no more than a killer, luckily she killed herself rather than anyone else. This was not an accident, dont treat it as such, it was a probable outcome of reckless and dangerous behavior.

You are my hero. If more people thought this way, the world may actually be a better place. And as for "Going to parties and drinking is basically the definition of being social in the real world." that's absolute bull****. I go to parties (where there often is little to no drinking) and have a blast. Being social is about having fun with friends, and fun DOESN'T have to include drink, especially underage. I'm glad the girl died, another statistic.