• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

XP [only] on MacBook

dysmatik    0

I'm currently running XP Pro on my MacBook (not pro) exclusively because I basically figured out that I'm more of a windows person and it makes things easier with my job.

However, I've heard many rumors around the web about various issues such as;

• XP doesn't manage the processors correctly
  • XP doesn't control the fans correctly
  • XP will overheat your machine or possibly melt it
  • Apple will not support your AppleCare contract because your running xp instead of os x

Are any of these true?

Also, are there any other issues I should be concerned with, or is this no different than using XP on any other laptop?

Another question:

Is it safe to remove the bootcamp software now that the drivers are loaded? (Since I'm not dual booting the system)

Edited by dysmatik

1759    1

A PC is a PC, and as long as it has the correct drivers (I think they are on the Leopard disc), it should be straightforward.

dysmatik    0
A PC is a PC, and as long as it has the correct drivers (I think they are on the Leopard disc), it should be straightforward.

That's kind of what I assumed. I did use the drivers on the leopard disc.

TonyLock    26

The only thing that ****es me off with running XP on my Mac Book Air is that Apple are too lazy to write a track pad driver that enables tapping. Switching to OSX, there is tapping there but some some strange reason, they have refused to enable Tracking in the driver software for Windows. People have been complaining about this since 2006 but do Apple really listen to their customers?

There is one other thing that bugs be about running Windows on a Mac; the hibernate and sleep feature crashes randomly.

Come on Apple, tighten up!

Plarkster    6

@TonyLock I agree - it's so annoying not being able to tap, especially for right click. It's so frustrating and surprising that this hasn't been fixed yet or that someone hasn't found a way to do it. I just don't understand why Apple made it like this!

@dysmatik I've never heard of any problems and I'm not certain, but I WOULDN'T remove the Boot Camp software as it might be needed to boot Windows.

CPressland    176

Fan speeds are handled by the system itself, not the OS. It WONT melt.

As for it not handling Processors properly, DualCore bugs were pretty much fixed after SP2, but if you're running SP3 then you should have the same "DualCore" Capabilities as Windows Vista.

As for tapping, Works fine on my MacBook, note: only used Windows XP once on my MacBook.

Plarkster    6
As for tapping, Works fine on my MacBook, note: only used Windows XP once on my MacBook.

Really? I haven't found anyone who got tapping to work in Windows on their MacBook. Apparently it worked with either Boot Camp Beta or Vista RTM (can't remember now as I've looked as so many threads about it). If you could give any pointers that'd be great. I only got my MacBook a few weeks ago and it's pretty much the only thing that's bugging me about it!

dysmatik    0

Yeah, tapping doesn't work in XP. And yes, it SUCKS that apple didn't include it in the trackpad driver.

That's the very reason I went out and bought the logitech nano mouse.

shockz    5,396

I don't know about Windows... but on the mac books that are running OSX... you can enable tapping in the mouse options.

Plarkster    6
I don't know about Windows... but on the mac books that are running OSX... you can enable tapping in the mouse options.

Thanks, I've already got that set and just want the same options in Windows so I can use the Trackpad in the same way.

dysmatik    0
Thanks, I've already got that set and just want the same options in Windows so I can use the Trackpad in the same way.

I'm kind of surprised that someone else hasn't written a different / replacement driver for the trackpad :blink: